MikroTik App

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Spontaneous reboots

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi,

First post.

I've been running a RB4011 for a while now and I'm suffering from spontaneous reboots. I've had 3 in 4 weeks. The log always shows "Topics: system, error, critical, Message: router was rebooted without proper shutdown".

The router itself isn't doing anything spectacular. Just some standard stuff like Wifi + guest Wifi, couple of VLANs, simple firewall rules and a bit of queueing. Board identifies itself as RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD, running version 6.46.4 (stable). Hardly any visible CPU load and lots of free memory. Haven't upgraded the Routerboard firmware yet (current firmware is 6.45.1, upgrade firmware 6.46.4).

I have enabled remote logging and I noticed that around the moment of the "crash", the time of the router seems to have changed abnormally. Just before the crash, last message sent had timestamp "04:01:32", right after the "crash"/reboot, the next message had timestamp "03:52:55".

Could NTP be a factor? I'm not using (S)NTP but the Cloud feature.

What is the best approach to fight this?

Tnx!

hschnei
just joined

Re: Spontaneous reboots

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Same here with a RB4011iGS+RM.
Tried with different RouterOS versions all the way to the latest beta.
Changed power supplies and everything is running of a UPS anyway.
Still reboots every few days.
Best advice is to open a support case.
Send my RB4001 back for RMA warranty repair and waiting for the
return or exchange.

Greetings

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Same here with a RB4011iGS+RM.
[...]
Best advice is to open a support case.
Thank you for your reply! Did support say it is a hardware problem?

hschnei
just joined

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Mikrotik support first wanted me to try the latest RouterOS beta
and then told me to open a RMA warranty repair with
my distributor. They did not say if this is software or
hardware related. Looking at the other RB4011 cases
on this forum viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149062
I think iit is a hardware issue after all.

Greetings

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Yeah but that post is from June 2019, you'd expect that not to be a problem in March 2020 anymore, do you?

r00t

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:51 pm

It might be hardware issue, software issue or a combination of both... no one knows, Mikrotik isn't telling us any details either. Sadly this is "business as usual" here. Some products are clear "lemons"... never ending RB4011 issues, flapping ports on RB3011, ... only "fix" is to get rid of the device while you still can by RMAing it with your supplier.

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 pm

It might be hardware issue, software issue or a combination of both... no one knows, Mikrotik isn't telling us any details either. Sadly this is "business as usual" here. Some products are clear "lemons"... never ending RB4011 issues, flapping ports on RB3011, ... only "fix" is to get rid of the device while you still can by RMAing it with your supplier.
That isn't great publicity for Mikrotik at all! Anyone from Mikrotik cares to respond? This cannot be true, can it?

complex1

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue.
Within say 7 days my RB4011 suddenly reboot, out of the blue.
After rebooting the time is always different from what is was.
I try as workaround and I don't know why I do it, let say a shot in the dark, but I have disable the 5GHz Wifi to see if the reboots disappears.
Kind regards,
Frank.

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm

I have exactly the same issue. Within say 7 days my RB4011 suddenly reboot, out of the blue. After rebooting the time is always different from what is was.
I try as workaround and I don't know why I do it, let say a shot in the dark, but I have disable the 5GHz Wifi to see if the reboots disappears.
Ok. I did not touch 5Ghz but completely disabled time-management. So no (S)NTP and no "IP->Cloud->Update Time". 6 days < uptime < 7 days now. Looking at the date/time, they are still correct.

mutluit
just joined

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 am

I have exactly the same issue. Within say 7 days my RB4011 suddenly reboot, out of the blue. After rebooting the time is always different from what is was.
Ok. I did not touch 5Ghz but completely disabled time-management. So no (S)NTP and no "IP->Cloud->Update Time". 6 days < uptime < 7 days now. Looking at the date/time, they are still correct.
Hi, what do you mean with "5Ghz"? I was thinking the RB4011iGS+RM does not have any WLAN, right? Or do you mean a different device?

surinameclubcard
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm the OP; I just wanted to say that after disabling all "remote" Mikrotik time management ('/IP/Cloud/Update Time' disabled and '/System/SNTP' disabled), I haven't had a spontaneous reboot anymore.

Even Daylight Saving Time was applied by the device itself last weekend, also not leading to any problems. Clock seems to be off by approximately 2 seconds now. Not a problem for me but YMMV.

@Mikrotik, are you here? I this just coincidence or is the root cause?

macsrwe
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 pm

Lots of reports of NTP package causing reboots in recent releases, this may be your only problem.

MikroTik is not guaranteed to be here. To assure MikroTik attention, email bug report to support@mikrotik.com.