Community discussions

MikroTik App

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

hAP AC2 Smart TV issues

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Hello,

Have first, annoying, problem with my Mikrotik. My smart TV (LG SM8600) is frekquently loosing connectivity to public services (like Netflix or Youtube - from laptop they work OK). In some cases, when the the service loads, it starts to play some movie/series, but in most cases it get's cut after sevreal dozens of seconds (in rare cases it plays the whole episode, but that's like 1 in 10 of cases).
Now the streaming from NAS located in LAN works OK. Mikrotik has latest stable release (I also tried beta today, but with the same results), TV has also the latest software.
What I tried:
- set IP for TV staticaly and dynamically
- connect both through cable and WiFi
- when connected through cable disable speed/duplex negotiation and tried 100 and 10Mb full duplex (supported by TV)
- use both my local and Google DNS server (in some discussions I found that some TVs need that - and even when I used my local DNS, I saw in logs that it also sends some queries to 8.8.8.8
- in FW I tried opening both the default "allow all from LAN to Internet" rule and specific rule set for the TV IP
- disable spanning tree
Behaviour in all cases is more or less the same.
Now My connection is like this:
Internet <---> UPS cable modem (in modem mode only) <---> Mikrotik <---> TV
I also tried to replace the Mikrotik with one old Linksys WRT54GS router I had laying around and through it the TV works flowlessly. I also tried to connect it between the Mikrotik and the TV, only as a "switch" (no DHCP enabled, both connected to LAN ports) and the issue was there.
So there has to be something fishy with the Mikrotik :(
Any ideas? It would be much appreciated, thanks!

rooted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP AC2 Smart TV issues

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 pm

You should see what the log says in relation to the IP address of your TV.

AllexRo
just joined

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm

It's not entirely related to mikrotik if playing from laptop, connected to hap ac2 I assume, there us no problem with the 2 programs. Probably the problem is somewhere in the middle :lol:
When the error pops up, look for anything in the bottom right hand corner such as tvq-pm-100, or tvq-pb-103, ui-100, whatever that code is. Usually netflix errors have a code associated with them that will give you more context of what's going on and would be easier to associate with whatever is going on in the router.

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies. I checked of course the firewall logs, but there's no drops to be seen... all traffic is "firewall, info" "forward".
There's indeed the Netflix error message, and I already check that before, but it's NW-2-5 - which is generict "network connection error" and all the suggest is to check you Internet connection etc.
Since through the other router (Linksys) it's working flawlesly both for TV and laptop (not only TV), it has to be something with the Mikrotik.
Cabling used is the same in both cases, so it's also not a "cabling problem".
I checked also the interface counters, and there are no errors/drops visible. Just for the Rx counters there are almost none broadcasts and multicasts.

Cheers.

bpwl

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:34 pm

DHCP NACK from some device? The Mikrotik delays its DHCP server according to settings in the config (Authoritative). Also the DHCP lease check runs somewhat later.( transition from "offered" to "bound")

Carefull with the WRT54GS as a switch. One of my system engineers brought down a whole department, because he used a WRT54GS as switch on someones desk, with DHCP disabled.
We found out that the WRT54GS with DHCP disabled sends NACK to all DHCP requests it sees !

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm

That could be a problem with IP address assigned dynamicaly, but it behaves the same way with IP address configured staticaly in TV config. Or am I missing something?

That WRT54GS as a switch in between was just for a test and since it's home setup I can play around :) But good to know!
Besides that there's not much that could ruin this - NAS (which is running also some VMs, but non has DHCP enabled, all are using static IPs) and stereo amplifier (also just a client).
Moreover if any of those endpoint device would be causing the problem I would expect it to show also when using only the Linksys.

bpwl

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:11 pm

OK DHCP was just for some of your experiments. Maybe now you should use "torch" and "sniffer" in the Mikrotik to find out what actually happens.

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Hello all,
So I did one thing, which I should done from the very beginning, but I was lazy (and wanted to have the router up and running as soon as possible).
I did the complete reset including all settings (when I got the device I used the default config and just did some modifications). And apparently there was something that was doing some mischief.
After that I put in my config again (only what I really need) and it's working fine, including the TV!