Community discussions

MikroTik App

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to debug Netflix error with multi-WAN setup.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello all,
I'd like to see some opinion on how to debug one problem that I have with my setup for multi-WAN/load balancing setup, which involves uniquely an AppleTV device and only with Netflix service.

Before I start, my multi-WAN setup works fine, the load balancing feature and failover works fine too, no issue at all.
I have a RB4011 with a 3-WAN setup in place:
- WAN1 is directly connected via ETH1 to an ISP provider;
- WAN2 is connected via ETH2 to a DLink AP used as WiFi bridge interlink to a WiFi 4G router (Huawei router);
- WAN3 is connected via ETH10 to a MikroTik mAP used as WiFi bridge interlink to iPhone in hotspot mode.

The issue does not have anything to do with load balancing, because if I disable that I can still see the problem.

The problem is when from AppleTV I start playing some content, only from WAN1 I can do that properly.
If I try to play from WAN2 or WAN3 I get an "authorisation error from Netflix".
However, if I initiate the play from WAN1 and then I switch to either WAN2 or WAN3, the playback works fine.

So without any further analysis it seems to me that the issue that I have with Netflix is only from whose connection where I'm bridging the WAN source to the RB4011, since WAN1 is the only one directly connected via ETH from source router to RB4011.

If I use an iPad directly connected to the either the Huawei router (WAN2 source) or the iPhone (WAN3 source), the Netflix app works fine too.
But the Netflix app inside the affected AppleTV might be different or outdate then the one from iPad, I cannot say that.
For now my quick and easy solution was to exclude from mangle rules (used to manage my PCC load/balancing multi-WAN setup) the AppleTV, so it goes out only from WAN1.

However as said at the beginning I'd like to see why such issue when routing through WAN2 or WAN3.

Thanks in advance if you can provide any suggestion on how to debug this.
Armando.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How to debug Netflix error with multi-WAN setup.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Just for completeness, here is the error that I get on AppleTV when I try to play the content from either WAN2 or WAN3:

"A problem occurred while playing this item. Try again later or select a different item. Go to www.netflix.com/support for more info (139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure)."

And there is an article that talks about AppleTV 3 (which is my case) and other than restarting it, says check your network ;-)

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/40?ba= ... uthFailure

Thanks,
Armando.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:40 pm

You start traffic via WAN2, receive answer and then rest of connection goes via WAN1.
Result: Netflix see traffic from different addresses and "complains".

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:50 pm

No, actually this is not the case.

In summary:
  • I start play from WAN2 and I stay on WAN2 -> issue as above
  • I start play from WAN3 and I stay on WAN3 -> issue as above
  • I start play from WAN1 and the program starts. Then if I shut WAN1 to switch routing to WAN2 or WAN3 the playback is still OK, no issues.
  • If I start play from WAN1 and I stay on WAN1 then playback is fine.
So it seems that as long as the authentication happens from WAN1, then the streaming can work also from the other WANs.
So Netflix complains only when the process starts from one of the WANs that are bridged via ETH-to-WIFI interlink to their source router/modem (WAN2 and WAN3).

Armando.

marqozzz
just joined

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:30 pm

I was using Netflix on booth WAN1 and WAN2 at the same time, there was no issue to the one you are describing.