Community discussions

MikroTik App

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MAC telnet from terminal stopped working in new versions

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:37 pm

I am trying to use the windows terminal application that comes with Mikrotik neighbor viewer to connect to a router on my network that is on version 6.45.8. Every time I attempt to connect, it gives me a username / password error. I can connect every time to another router on my network having version 6.44beta40 configured with the same credentials. I can also connect by MAC winbox to both routers and it works every time.

Has something changed in the MAC login server recently?

Note:
We're using terminal application in our provisioning process. If this is no longer supported, are there any plans for a MAC login API we can use? This would streamline configuration as a router with no configuration wouldn't need an IP address provisioned on it before a system can connect via API to push the final configuration.

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: MAC telnet from terminal stopped working in new versions

Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm

FYI for anyone else having this same problem:
I believe Mikrotik is changing MAC telnet as we had some errors a few months ago where certain versions would always give a username/password error when you connect via MAC telnet. They don't seem to want to acknowledge this though as they haven't replied to this thread and won't reply to my email to support@mikrotik.com

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 01, 2020 7:21 pm

The authentication procedure changed significantly in 6.43. That change affects everything, including MAC-server. I am not aware of any third-party MAC-telnet clients that are compatible with the new versions of RouterOS.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 01, 2020 10:15 pm

That is correct. You will need to put a MikroTik router (or CHR) between your provisioning system and the router to be configured. Then you can connect to the intermediate router via API and have it connect to the new router via mac-telnet.
It is a bit unfortunate, indeed.

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 5:00 pm

That is correct. You will need to put a MikroTik router (or CHR) between your provisioning system and the router to be configured. Then you can connect to the intermediate router via API and have it connect to the new router via mac-telnet.
Hmm this seems like a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

I wish Mikrotik would just publish the new MAC telnet protocol so we could build a connector though

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Hmm this seems like a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

I wish Mikrotik would just publish the new MAC telnet protocol so we could build a connector though
Unfortunately, Mikrotik says this (Mac Telnet from API) is not possible.

viewtopic.php?t=40738

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 pm

Ok... mac-telnet from telnet or ssh should be possible then.

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Ok... mac-telnet from telnet or ssh should be possible then.
Yes good idea.

volkswagner

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 am

I'm curious about this.

I used to be able to connect to RouterBoard via Winbox when no ip was configured on the router.

It seems this is not possible any longer. I just killed over an hour trying to figure out why
I can't connect to an unconfigured port on the router. Running 6.47.1 it seems no longer possible
to connect to an interface without an IP address.

I can connect via mac address, as long as there is a valid IP configured on the interface.

I'm not sure how anyone will be able to connect to a router with the default config removed.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am

This is not correct. It still works.
Maybe you have an issue with your computer, e.g. a firewall or other config that prevents you from doing the MAC-level connect.

tippenring

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 pm

I suspect this issue may be related to the (unannounced as far as I have found) change to the MAC Telnet Server and MAC Winbox Server configuration.

The new default configuration at Tools > MAC Server > MAC Telnet Server and Tools > MAC Server > MAC Winbox Server defines interface list "LAN" as the only interfaces from which one can connect via layer 2.

Once I discovered this change to the default configuration, I adjusted my config template to add
/interface list
  add name=ifl.l2admin
Then I add the interfaces I want to allow L2 access to that list and set the MAC telnet server and MAC winbox server interface list to ifl.l2admin.

evidlo
just joined

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 pm

This is something I'm missing too. I purchased a few mikrotik devices when I saw how easy it was to administrate from Linux with Debian's packaged mac-telnet, but I was disappointed to find out it doesn't work anymore.

Mikrotik engineers, please help us out! https://github.com/haakonnessjoen/MAC-Telnet/issues/42
Last edited by evidlo on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RashadHarfani
just joined

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Is mac-telnet safe??