Community discussions

MikroTik App

anishpsla
Topic Author

Dual stack PPPoE (IPV6) not routing

Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 pm

In my test setup, I am getting /48 IPV6 address from Tunnelbrocker, and works as intended. The setup works well on both Windows and Android phones. Now I try to setup dual stack PPPoE server on same Mikrotik and same IP pool. I derive a /50 as IPV6 pool. I follow the https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IPv6_PD_over_PPP tutorial. The setup works as intended. The only problem I am facing is, IPV6 not routing. I am getting no route to host error from both Windows and Asus Router.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual stack PPPoE (IPV6) not routing

Tue May 05, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm not sure I get you right. The Mikrotik DHCPv6 can only assign IPv6 subnets to the client routers, not individual IPv6 addresses to end hosts. So what is the complete chain between the Mikrotik and the Windows, is the Asus the PPPoE client of the Mikrotik, or is there another Mikrotik as PPPoE client? A photo of a handmade drawing is sufficient.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

anishpsla
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 pm

The Mikrotik DHCPv6 can only assign IPv6 subnets to the client routers, not individual IPv6 addresses to end hosts.
Yes, you are correct. The Asus router is getting /64 prefix from Mikrotik, and Windows machine derive IP from it. All these things are working perfectly. But, I can't ping to IPV6 host. That's the problem.
So what is the complete chain between the Mikrotik and the Windows
Mikrotik running PPPoE server and Asus router act as PPPoE client, Windows machine is connected into Asus router (Which is a normal home router supports IPV6).

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 9:03 pm

I doubt the Mikrotik sends any default gateway item in its DHCPv6 response - bear in mind it can delegate larger prefixes than a single /64. But the Asus should be able to set the PPPoE tunnel (as an interface) as a default route's gateway, as that's what actually matters anyway - internally, the remote address of the tunnel is only used to get translated to the interface name with all point-to-point interfaces.

The Windows should get the own address of the Asus as the gateway, from the Asus itself, which they probably do.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

anishpsla
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 pm

I doubt the Mikrotik sends any default gateway item in its DHCPv6 response.
I also think that is the problem. How can I solve the problem.

Also what is the difference in remote IPV6 prefix pool and DHCPV6 PD pool and which one is good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm no IPv6 expert, so the following is only a speculation on my side, others may correct me: the DHCPv6 PD pool tells the Tik from where to delegate the prefixes via DHCPv6, whereas the remote IPv6 prefix pool is the one from which it assigns IPv6 addresses to the PPPoE clients themselves (i.e. to the interfaces representing the PPPoE tunnel at their end) via PPP, not via DHCPv6. So the fact that you have indicated nothing as remote IPv6 prefix pool may explain why the Asus is unhappy, although, as said, it actually should not need the address at all - a link-local one, which is added automatically, should be sufficient.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 9:50 pm

And wait, I may have misread your OP - when you write that you get "no route to host" from Asus and Windows, did you actually have in mind that you get this on the Mikrotik when you ping from there the Asus and the Windows? Because if so, you don't get the "no route to host" from these devices but from the Mikrotik itself, and the reason is really the absence of the remote-ipv6-prefix-pool in th e /ppp profile. As you can read in the manual, the Mikrotik itself needs to know the remote address (of the Asus) to dynamically create a route to the subnets delegated using DHCPv6 via that address:
remote-ipv6-prefix-pool Assign prefix from IPv6 pool to the client and install corresponding IPv6 route.

anishpsla
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks for your reply. I tried with enabling both remote-ipv6-prefix-pool and DHCPv6 PD pool. Then Windows will get two IPV6 addresses. But still problem persist.
As you can read in the manual, the Mikrotik itself needs to know the remote address (of the Asus) to dynamically create a route to the subnets delegated using DHCPv6 via that address:
Mikrotik already creating route dynamically (For both IPV4 and IPV6).

anishpsla
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Any update. I want to study the process as soon as possible. Please help.

anishpsla
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 6:05 am

If any good tutorial describing Dual stack IPV6 in Mikrotik then please post here for me.

anishpsla
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Any update from anyone please.

almdandi

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 am

Did you ever tried a traceroute from the windows pc to same host in the internet. And can you post the routing tables of all your devices. I think that would help to trace the problem.