Community discussions

MikroTik App

janoe
just joined
Topic Author

CRS326-24G-2S+RM as a Router

Wed May 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Hello,
I've been reading this forum for a while now and I did not find an answer for my case.
What I need to do is to build, let's say, SOHO network. I think that Mikrotik portfolio is pretty good and I want to try them as I've never use any of Mikrotik's devices I have few questions.
I have to manage ~20 ethernet connections + at least 2 AP and make few VLANs so I found that CRS326-24G-2S+RM will be enough. As far as I know it has double boot with routerOS option. Should I buy additional hEX device for routing or the switch will handle my network? My Internet connection is 600/60 Mbps right now and I am worried that routing performance of this switch will not handle this bandwith.
Can I make SFP port as WAN in this case?
Also I was wondering if this switch working on routerOS will handle CAPMan or it will be far enough for him?

regards

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CRS326-24G-2S+RM as a Router

Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm

I have to manage ~20 ethernet connections + at least 2 AP and make few VLANs so I found that CRS326-24G-2S+RM will be enough. As far as I know it has double boot with routerOS option. Should I buy additional hEX device for routing or the switch will handle my network? My Internet connection is 600/60 Mbps right now and I am worried that routing performance of this switch will not handle this bandwith.
Can I make SFP port as WAN in this case?
Also I was wondering if this switch working on routerOS will handle CAPMan or it will be far enough for him?

regards
1) Yes, you should by and additional device to do routing: the CRS series are switches. They can route - but are quite slow doing it. Better than the hEX - and costing almost the same - is the hAP ac2:
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2
2) Yes, you can use the SFP port as your WAN port. It is weird how much freedom Mikrotik gives us - took myself some time to believe it.
3) About CAPMan: I don't know, but doubt it.

janoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for reply.
So if I add hEX or hAP (if I understand it correctly it doesn't matter that it is access point, it can work as a router as well) should I run switchOS or routerOS on CS326 or it doesn't matter regarding performance as long as there will be no routing configured on the switch?
I was wondering if https://mikrotik.com/product/hex_s will be suitable but it seems that hAP ac2 is better. It is so confusing that you can use one device multiple ways, but on the other hand it is so great.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Do you already have a WAN router for Internet access? Or is it a modem only?
What is the network speed (Mbps, ie. Mbits/s) of your WAN link (Internet)?
What are the network speeds of the servers and clients in your LAN? For example Gigabit or 10G etc.

I have the same switch (CRS326-24G-2S+RM) since a few weeks. It has by default RouterOS installed and operates in Bridge Mode (ie. as a switch as opposed to router; this is selectable).
I'm still testing/experimenting/learning the capabilities of the device in switch mode, as this is my very 1st MT device. For routing I use a dedicated router device (actually two routers).

janoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

I can receive router/modem from my ISP but I don't know details yet (we are changing location and only info I have for now is the network speed). Not sure if it will be "all-in-one modem router ap" or something I can configure VLANs or routing on.
What are the network speeds of the servers and clients in your LAN? For example Gigabit or 10G etc.
Speeds: WAN - 600/60 Mbps, LAN - Gigabit, no 10G devices (maybe in the future, but then I would probably replace my network devices anyway).

Because I don't have any details regarding router/modem device from my ISP (there is an option that device from ISP will be managable only in a "basic way", with no option to configure VLANS nor VLAN routing and so on), I want to consider every possible options - with dedicated router, or maybe CRS326 only etc.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 06, 2020 8:03 pm

I can receive router/modem from my ISP but I don't know details yet (we are changing location and only info I have for now is the network speed). Not sure if it will be "all-in-one modem router ap" or something I can configure VLANs or routing on.
Speeds: WAN - 600/60 Mbps, LAN - Gigabit, no 10G devices (maybe in the future, but then I would probably replace my network devices anyway).

Because I don't have any details regarding router/modem device from my ISP (there is an option that device from ISP will be managable only in a "basic way", with no option to configure VLANS nor VLAN routing and so on), I want to consider every possible options - with dedicated router, or maybe CRS326 only etc.
Usually you can get from your ISP a modem free of charge, or an ISP-router (usually with some monthly fees), or you can use your own WAN-router (but first ask your ISP for compatibility). You should check all options.
I have the 2nd option above, but since on an ISP-router the user cannot do any advanced stuff, I've another router attached in series to the WAN-router.
Btw. above you said "no 10G devices (maybe in the future, but then I would probably replace my network devices anyway)": This CRS326 device has besides the 24x Gigabit ports also 2x 10G ports, so you can add one or two 10G servers to that switch, for example 10G NAS devices for all the Gigabit clients.
Last edited by mutluit on Wed May 06, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks for reply.
So if I add hEX or hAP (if I understand it correctly it doesn't matter that it is access point, it can work as a router as well) should I run switchOS or routerOS on CS326 or it doesn't matter regarding performance as long as there will be no routing configured on the switch?
I was wondering if https://mikrotik.com/product/hex_s will be suitable but it seems that hAP ac2 is better. It is so confusing that you can use one device multiple ways, but on the other hand it is so great.
Yes, it can be used as access point, client, router... There are no artificial limits - only hardware ones. If you are just switching, the speed is the same - either with RoS and with SwOS.

Some details to keep in mind:
1) The hEX and the hEXs use the same CPU/memory. The only difference is the SFP port.
2) Mikrotik has on device named cAP ac, and another named cAP ac2. They are completely different from one another. The one I suggested was the hAP ac2.

Here we can see both of them:
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

hAP ac2 is a way faster router and costs about half of the other. The wireless of the hAP ac is faster, if Your devices can use triple chain.