Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zorker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

VPN PPTP problems

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:14 pm

I have 5 routerboard230's at different sites. Each system has 2 incoming pptp connections and also connects to 2 other sites. Of the 5 sites, 2 offices will connect, show they are connected, but if I let the systems ping each other continually, they connection will just stop and I have to disable and renable the pptp-client connection and then it picks up again. I've noticed this seems to be related to pptp with encryption. I'm running MPPE128 stateless. If I disable encryption, the link appears to work fine. Funny part is, the 2 routers having the problem connecting to my main router (I'm running terminal server behind main router) can connect to each other fine with MPPE128 stateless with no packet loss. Is this just a problem with internet traffic or dropouts? I can do a traceroute from each site and I'm not seeing any high latency or packet drops. pings are between 60ms - 100ms all the way.

Trisc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:22 am

This sounds similar to a problem we have - a client connected directly to our main router (RouterBoard230) suffers continual VPN disconnections. He is using Microsoft PPTP over a PPPoE connection. The PPPoE connection is unaffected

He is connected to the Routers local interface through a switch and a leased line. His ping times are steady. We've tried disabling encryption to no effect...