Community discussions

MikroTik App

DuncanCT
Topic Author

SNTP vs NTP Clients

Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi All,

Can someone please confirm that the NTP client (package installed) is the same as using the default SNTP client on RouterOS 6.46.6.

You get less info in the Winbox > System > NTP Client window than you do in the SNTP window. So assume there is no point in loading the NTP package just for the client?

TIA

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SNTP vs NTP Clients

Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm

It's not the same, but if you don't need that some other devices synchronize their time from the Mikrotik itself, you don't need to install the ntp package (and it is even better not to install it as the additional package doesn't accept fqdns as server names).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: SNTP vs NTP Clients  [SOLVED]

Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 pm

NTP package contains the server and a very basic NTP client.
SNTP (built in) is more functional as a client. If you only need the client, don't install NTP package.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SNTP vs NTP Clients

Fri May 29, 2020 4:15 pm

I recently noticed that my CAPACs had wandering date and times and thus decided to syn them to my router.
I downloaded the package and in a **fairly easy manner got it setup.
I suppose I could have kept the sntp client used on the router and used the same external sntp client on the capacs as well.

** The only gotcha, is one has to allow the service to be accessible to LAN devices, so I added this rule.......
add chain=input action=accept protocol=udp dst-port=123 in-interface-list=LAN comment="allow ntp services"

Hmm in retrospect, will soon change that slightly
firewall address list
add ip=ip_of-capacA list=ntpallow
add ip=IP_of-capacB list=ntpallow
add chain=input action=accept protocol=udp dst-port=123 in-interface-list=LAN src-address-list=ntpallow comment="allow ntp services"