Community discussions

MikroTik App

hakware2000
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP server Radius and Accounting

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 pm

I see this has been asked once before, but that thread is locked now without an answer

DHCP server with radius auth works great! but I cannot get any accounting stats to report to
the radius server.

What is the trick to get accounting to report?

Thanks

hakware2000
just joined
Topic Author

Re: DHCP server Radius and Accounting

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:10 pm

So, the question is.. is it possible to get AAA to work with DHCP? or not?

Reefbum
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 am

AAA works fine with DHCP and Hotspot

Easy way to turn it on is Winbox

Got to Hotspot -> Servers tab -> Profiles -> Choose your Profile for your hotspot

In the Profile settings click on the Radius tab and make sure the "Use Radius" and "Accounting" check box is checked, next you need to give it an interim update time.
I use 00:10:00 for my Interim Update this sends my Accounting update every 10min to Radius. I also leave the "Default Domain", "Location ID" and "Location Name" blank.

If your not using Hotspot then I don't think this will work for you.

hakware2000
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:33 am

Yes, I know it can work with the hotspot stuff in mikrotik. the problem is with hotspot access is that it requires you to open a web browser to "login" and start the accounting process.
DHCP server will do auth through RADIUS and does not require you to open a web page to login.

Customers who might have VOIP or VPN never open a webpage, and would never authenticate through hotspot. unless there is some trick that I dont know about.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 pm

As it is stated earlier DHCP is working fine with RADIUS.
Note, that HotSpot is used to secure your network, it requires login/password to access remote networks.
However, HotSpot server is very flexible for the configuration, you may change authentication method to MAC-authentication, when user's MAC-address is used to authenticate the user (login page is not provided). Walled-garden is implemented to allow specific web-pages or services without authentication.

rizkcharbel
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:11 am

I have been trying to make accounting work on DHCP radius level, but it seems its missing interim-update, I think it makes no sense to enable accounting there if there is no such attribute. I think Mikrotik should look into this and fix it.