Community discussions

MikroTik App

tutughosh
just joined
Topic Author

BGP Questions

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:25 am

Hi
I am new in this field and I am looking for a Affordable Router/Switch to run two BGP Session with two Different Provider.

Does "Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch crs354-48g-4s+2q+rm" is able to run Two BGP session with Default Route or I have to use Static Route.

A suggestion would be highly appreciated.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: BGP Questions

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Never use a switch as router...
Use a router depend on traffic you can use HEX or CCR1009! Default route just need to be advertised from ISP

tutughosh
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your reply but the mentioned CCR1009 doesn't have much SPF+ port as we require minimal of 4.

mbovenka

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 pm

Next question, how much routing performance do you need? A CRS354 will probably do 2 BGP sessions with just defaults just fine; that doesn't take much.

But it's no great shakes as a router; it'll do 300Mbps on a good day. Even something like a hEX will do better!

If it's a few SFP+ ports you need and routing performance to match for simple IPv4 unicast routing (but nothing else: no multicast, no NAT, no IPv6...) you might want to look at the CRS317 with the latest ROS7 beta. It does L3 hardware offload and can route as fast as it can switch. Within narrow limits.

Or the new CCR2004.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:48 pm

As mbovenka has noticed then you will need https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_12s_2xs, but if is to much traffic you will need a bigger one!

tutughosh
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi Guys

We don't expect anything above 2-5G of traffic. Currently we are using Juniper EX4200 with an Average of 1G Traffic. Only thing we need to have 2 ISP for Redundancy. So either with Full BGP or with Static. Also we won't using IPv6, NAT, Multicast etc.

CRS317 this seems to be Work for us. We did check the "CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS" but it's Out of Stock.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Forget CRS.
CRS are switches. NOT routers.

You DON'T want to use a switch as a router no matter how good you think it looks.

You need a CCR. Check mikrotik.com/products to find the one that suits your needs.

mbovenka

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Forget CRS.
CRS are switches. NOT routers.

Only because they have wildly underpowered CPUs compared to their IO. Anything that can run RouterOS has the same basic functionality. And RouterOS 7 beta7 gave us "added Layer3 hardware offloading support for CRS317-1G-16S+RM".

That made the CRS317 (but, for now, only the CRS317), in one fell swoop, by far the fastest thing MT has for basic IPv4 routing. Yes, the L3 HW offloading has rather specific limits (see https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... Offloading), but within those limits nothing else even comes close, not even the CCR1072.

And for pure control plane, the CRS317 CPU will do most things quite well. Yes, it doesn't have the RAM or horsepower for full-table BGP, but it'll do for pretty much everything else.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:37 pm

The L3 hardware offload will take many months (or years - we are talking about v7 after all) before you can consider it stable. And even then, it will still be a... switch.

mbovenka

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm

The L3 hardware offload will take many months (or years - we are talking about v7 after all) before you can consider it stable. And even then, it will still be a... switch.

Well, that it'll take a while to to get stable is a given :D. But in what sense is an L3 switch not a router? That difference went away years ago when I/O started to outrun CPU and dedicated ASICs became needed to keep up. That's a bandwagon MT only now finally jumps on; the Marvell Prestera switching ASICs their CRS line is based on have been capable of it from the start.

ASIC-based routing is less flexible overall than pure CPU forwarding; there is a reason why the old Cisco 7200's (pretty much the last purely CPU-driven boxes Cisco made) were called 'the Swiss Army knife of routing'; they could do anything, much like RouterOS boxes can now. But you pay for that flexibility in performance; that kind of high-touch packet mangling costs cycles. If all you need is low-touch packet slinging, ASICs rule the performance roost. The CRS317 is a good example of that: from a good L2 switch but pretty much useless L3 box it went to being the performance king, outrunning the CCR1072 by a factor of two, just by enabling the offload to the ASICs. Yes, the CCR can do much more with those packets than the CRS can, but you don't always need that flexibility.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:14 pm

There are two different issues at hand in this problem:
- the routing performance (the number of Gbit/s the device can route). This is currently limited by the CPU and it means those CRS switches cannot route at wirespeed unlike some L3 switches from other manufacturers. However, MikroTik is making the first steps towards routing offloading in v7beta8.
- the BGP performance (the updating of the routing table with hundeds of thousands of routes from the ISPs). this will still be killing the performance on those CRS switches, and requires a CCR-class router.

However, you can ask the ISP to send less routes to you, e.g. only default route or only aggregated routes at /8 or /16 level, and save a lot of BGP processing.

mbovenka

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 pm

However, you can ask the ISP to send less routes to you, e.g. only default route or only aggregated routes at /8 or /16 level, and save a lot of BGP processing.

The OP said that he had 2 BGP peers with defaults only. Even the CRS317 CPU should be able to handle that, I'd think.

tutughosh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 pm

As this "CCR2004" is not in stock I guess with a Fail-over Setup the CRS317 can handle 1-2Gbps of traffic easily,

Can anyone suggest me where to Buy from USA.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:56 pm

The OP said that he had 2 BGP peers with defaults only. Even the CRS317 CPU should be able to handle that, I'd think.
Ok I missed that. Indeed that should be no problem w.r.t. the BGP processing, and when the routing is hw-offloaded it should work fine on that kind of hardware.

But of course this is all in beta, I don't think I would buy a CRS317 right now with the objective to run internet-facing BGP and L3 offloading on it...

mbovenka

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:16 pm

But of course this is all in beta, I don't think I would buy a CRS317 right now with the objective to run internet-facing BGP and L3 offloading on it...

True. That 'no firewall' isn't too hot an idea either in that case.