Community discussions

MikroTik App

FRANKMUNOZ
Topic Author

UPDATE FIRMWARE

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Friends,
Every time a firmware update comes out in mikrotik, is it recommended to do it to the RB? Another thing is what type of firmware is more advisable to update, stable or testing?.

Thank you for your recommendations.

ELDONCITO.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: UPDATE FIRMWARE

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Every time you do an update you won't know what you are updating with. It could be new but it could be also a existing version and only the version number is changed.

Only Mikrotik knows if there are changes.

It very inpolite to SHOUT, do you know that?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: UPDATE FIRMWARE

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Friends,
Every time a firmware update comes out in Mikrotik, is it recommended to do it to the RB? Another thing is what type of firmware is more advisable to update, stable or testing?.
I would only use "stable" or "long term" for routers that you use in production.
For each release, you can read about what Mikrotik has fixed / improved, BUT it might also introduce other issues.
For *security* reasons I would keep your RB pretty much up to date and regularly check if there are security advisories because of found vulnerabilities or something.

But finally, ask yourself if everything is working fine with the features you use. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrade unless you accept the fact that you could suddenly start getting issues...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: UPDATE FIRMWARE  [SOLVED]

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 am

There are detailed changelogs available for both Stable and Testing branches, you can see exactly what you are upgrading.
https://mikrotik.com/download/changelogs

Also, I suggest to keep router updated at all times, "Stable" branch would be the best.