Community discussions

MikroTik App

borajuanjo
just joined
Topic Author

Two networks over one cable

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi Mikrotrik community.

I'm here because I'm trying to figure out how to (if possible) configure RouterOS to route the traffic of two networks on one single cable, based on MAC address.

First of all, It's probably good to clarify that I'm not new to Mikrotik, I'm not a guru either, but I'm very familiar with the interface, the jargon and whatnot. I've also been in the IT industry since 2006, but not in networking.

The scenario:

This one.

The explanation:

My ISP provides me with Internet and IPTV. They gave me a Huawei PON router, which manages the two networks, the IPTV Network and the Internet network. It has 4 Ethernet ports, two for IPTV clients and two for Internet clients. If I try to connect clients (laptops, consoles, etc) to the IPTV network ports, they won't work, and if I try to connect the IPTV Boxes to the regular Internet ports, they also won't work. So the division of networks inside that Huawei router is very strict.

The thing is that I have that router in one room, and my TV is on another room, so far away from the router that it's rather pointless to try to set up WiFi or even PowerLink (basically the router is on the ground floor of the house and the room in which the TV is located is on the second floor of the house). Luckily there's a physical Ethernet connection between those two rooms, but it's just one cable.

What I want to do is to configure a Mikrotik router to route all the traffic (ideally without NAT) to the internet, and to identify TV boxes via MAC address and send them (and only them) to the IPTV network. This way I can watch IPTV on the TV (via the TV Box connected to the IPTV network), or Netflix/YouTube directly on the Smart TV (connected to the internet via Ethernet cable directly to the SmartTV). It would be like something described in the attached image (in which also more information is provided).

I hope this makes sense.

I apologize for the length of the explanation.

Have a nice day guys!
Last edited by borajuanjo on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two networks over one cable

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Her in Norway, if I do use my ISP router, it will send data untagged VLAN to all my PC etc.
Then IPTV goes on a separate VLAN.

But if I change my ISP router to bridge, I will have one port on ISP router where my Router connects using NAT. Another port sends out IPTV on a tagger VLAN (not sure if it tags.) From what I have read, I then need a second cable from ISP router to my Router where I tag the IPTV and sends it taggeg to my net, to the IPTV boxes. (Since I do not use IPTV I can not confirm this).

How to use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router(s)

MikroTik->Splunk

borajuanjo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Right, I would think that IPTV is on a separate VLAN.

Using VLANs on the Mikrotik is another approach. That could work. I still need to figure out how to make the Mikrotik Router identify clients so it sends them o either one VLAN or the other. I can confirm that a second cable, one from the IPTV network and another one from the Internet network will have to be connected to the Mikrotik router in order for it to work.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Theoretically you could do it (it's in this post). However, switch chip in your RB would have to support rules, but according to feature list switch chip in hAP ac lite does not support it.

So realistically you need a smart switch (managed switch) where you can divide devices into IPTV VLAN and "normal" VLAN according to port used. Then you can use VLANs in RB to do what you want.
BR,
Metod