Community discussions

MikroTik App

kanch
Topic Author

Mikrotik & DD-WRT / Hotspot issue

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 am

Hi Guys,
I have mikrotik as core router with hotspot running. I have WRT54G with DD-WRT flashed running as ap connected to the Mikrotik via hub. This set up has been working well. The only problem is hotspot will only authanticate one client, after the first client authanticate, everybody else can access internet without having to login. Hotspot login page does not come up after first client authanticate.
Please help. Thank you :)

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Mikrotik & DD-WRT / Hotspot issue

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:34 pm

I think you mean the clients connected to this router ?
You have to ensure that this device is acting as true bridge, then every user will be provided with login page.

babyface
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:11 am

I think you mean the clients connected to this router ?
You have to ensure that this device is acting as true bridge, then every user will be provided with login page.
This is the problem with DD-WRT. It's unable to act as a real bridge.

kanch
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:52 am

Ha, Ok, Thank you guys, I was not sure,

gmayer
just joined

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:42 pm

That's not true, DD-WRT can act as a true bridge. Just don't use the WAN port, or set the Internet Connection to disable and assign the WAN port to the br0 bridge. If you do the latter you'll essentially have a 5 port switch with added WiFi. That will solve your problem.

You see, right now Mikrotik Hotspot authenticates the single WAN ip of the WRT with the WAN port's MAC. It doesn't know about what's going on behind the WRT's nat.

kanch
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:53 pm

I replaced the dd-wrt with a Hub, I still have the isuue. I connect 4 computers to the hub, only the first client can authanticate. Everybody go through without authatication.
Shouldn't it work fine with the hub.
Thank you

babyface
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:05 am

That's not true, DD-WRT can act as a true bridge. Just don't use the WAN port, or set the Internet Connection to disable and assign the WAN port to the br0 bridge. If you do the latter you'll essentially have a 5 port switch with added WiFi. That will solve your problem.
At least in wireless client mode, DD-WRT acts like a pseudo-bridge. I can confirm that.