Community discussions

MikroTik App

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

UHG LTE6 & IP Passthrough

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:16 pm

I’ve searched through the forums and I know there is quite a lot of posts on this subject but I haven’t been able to solve my problem with this issue so far.
I need to put a UHG LTE6 into IP Passthrough mode so it passes the WAN IP address directly to the router it’s connected to. I’ve done this with a WAP and this worked well but I can’t get the same to happen with the UHG. It’s running 6.45.8 firmware.

Here’s what I’ve done to try and enable IP Passthrough using WebFig:
1. Interfaces - LTE - LTE APNs. Selected the required APN profile.
2. Under Passthrough Interface, selected ether1.
3. Under Passthr. MAC Address - tried leaving this blank so it automatically binds to the first it sees then tried entering the MAC of the router it’s connected to. No change either way when tested.
4. Under Passthr. Subnet Selection left in auto.
5. Everything else left exactly as default.
6. Pressed Apply and then rebooted the UHG while connected to the router.

Router gets an IP address from the UHG of 192.168.88.251 instead of the WAN IP address. Also tried connecting direct to MacBook with same result. The MacBook gets the LAN IP address and not the WAN IP.

I was also under the impression that once Passthrough enabled you lose connection to the management interface on the UHG IP address of 192.168.88.1. However even with IP Passthrough active I still have access to the interface.

So what other steps am I missing to get this into IP Passthrough mode?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: UHG LTE6 & IP Passthrough

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 am

Probably you have default config and at ether1 exist dhcp-server who should be disable to not provide you a old address..

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:01 am

Ok thanks for the reply. So I must disable DHCP as well as activate IP Passthrough. I thought that by activating IP Passthrough DHCP would be automatically disabled as it is no longer required and no longer relevant on the UHG side. It really should do this automatically as there is no need for it to be active.

Thanks again for the info. I will try disabling it tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Ok switching off DHCP has indeed fixed the problem. So to summarise for anyone else having difficulty here’s a quick guide to setting IP Passthrough via WebFig:

1. Setup your LTE interface as normal with the correct APN (this can be set in Interfaces - LTE tab - LTE APN)
2. In either QuickSet or WebFig, disable DHCP. Probably easiest in QuickSet as there’s a simple checkbox to disable DHCP.
3. In WebFig, select Interfaces - LTE tab - LTE APN - select appropriate APN profile.
4. Use the drop down box next to Passthru to select ether1.
5. If you want to ensure the Mikrotik only binds to the MAC address of the router then make sure you enter it in the Passthru MAC entry. Otherwise if you leave it at default then the Mikrotik will bind to the first MAC address it sees on boot.
6. Once you click Apply the settings will take effect and your Mikrotik will be in IP Passthrough mode. If you connect to your router you should see the router has the WAN IP address passed from the Mikrotik. If you don’t see a WAN IP and instead see a LAN IP you’ve missed a setting.

You obviously lose the ability to connect to the management interface but you shouldn’t need to access that again.

On the UHG LTE there’s only a single Ethernet port and no WLAN interface so I’m not sure if there is a way to create access to the management interface. If anyone knows how to do this on the UHG LTE I’d be grateful for some pointers to set this up. For now the only option to access the interface after Passthrough enabled is reset to factory defaults.

marisp
just joined

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Use VLAN for management!
Or vise versa.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Can you describe how to set this up so you can access the UHG via a VLAN?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:31 am

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52 am

SiB,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and point me in the right direction. I know this stuff is easy for you but some of us struggle with getting these things to work.

I've put my UHG in safe mode and had a go at configuring a VLAN for management but before I commit to actioning it, could you look at my setup below and advise what I've missed? I've just setup one VLAN for management and will put the LTE APN in passthrough. I've set up DHCP on the mgmt VLAN but no doubt I've missed something. I'm thinking the gateway is wrong on the mgmt DHCP? Should this be 192.168.88.1??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:36 pm

OK I am getting nowhere with this and hope someone can reach out and provide some help.

After reading various threads on IP Passthrough and management on a LHG, I've tried to set mine up matching what was discussed. The advice seems to be to use IP Passthrough on the VLAN interface and management on the ether naked interface. Here's screenshots of my setup. I am successfully showing a WAN IP address through the LTE interface but when I connect the UHG to another routers WAN interface it's being assigned a LAN IP (192.168.88.xx) rather than the WAN IP. So why isn't the WAN IP being passed through to the router WAN port??

I created a VLAN with an ID of 10 and have used this as the passthrough interface on the LTE APN settings. Under the Interface List I've tried changing the interface for the WAN from lte1 to vlan10-lte but still no WAN IP being passed through to the router. Have tried also connecting laptop direct to the UHG but again it's getting a LAN IP from the UHG and not the WAN IP.

Really appreciate some pointers as to what I need to change to make this work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stevenma
just joined

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:08 pm

OK I am getting nowhere with this and hope someone can reach out and provide some help.

Really appreciate some pointers as to what I need to change to make this work.
Hello, @andyh747,

Did you find a resolution to this issue?

Thanks,
Steve

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:10 am

I managed to get it working but not brilliantly. Accessing the management interface after Passthrough is flaky at best. Really poor support from Mikrotik and no clear instructions on how to achieve this relatively simple option. There are numerous LTE routers out there with a simple Passthrough select option and you still have full access to the interface for management without any VLAN setup needed. Why does Mikrotik have to make it so complicated when other manufacturers make it so easy?

pr3dict
just joined

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:52 pm

Got any recommendations of other companies that have a dish booster like the lte-us? I'm at a loss here as well and the only thread here that seems to have any direction has photos of the setup that contradict what the person says to do. They say to make the VLAN under the ether interface but their photo shoes the vlans under a bridge. Sooooooooooooo I'm stumped.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:53 am

Have a look at Zyxel LTE range. They have some good outdoor units. Setup is much easier and they work well. Possibly not quite the same antenna gain as from the MikroTik LHG but worth a look.