Community discussions

MikroTik App

Giftslayer
just joined
Topic Author

automatic bandwidth balancing

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 pm

hi mikrotik world

I don't know if that was ask before bc i don't find any and if i try and google i keep finding firewall tutorials.

i would like to know if it is possible and how would i set up this.

i have a 30 up 40 down internet line i would like to limit my devices up so that one does not take all for it self
my config now is.
my pc 2M up 5M down.
brothers pc 2M up 5M down.
Dads pc 5M up 6M down. (he has the most bc he pays for it)
mom pc 5M up 5M down.
rest is split between cellphone and tv boxes.
every time we have something big to download we have to manually chance the queue depending on what is being used at the moment,

i would like to get is so that for example, i have access to 30M down my dad also 30M Brother also 30M a minimum of 5M so if one downloads
and the ather are not using internet it downloads at 30M (10M spare for Cellphones and so on),
and if my dad wants to download or watch movie and my brother it balance the speed up and if thay play games it also does not bother their games?

i think i read somewhere that you can do it in queues but cant remember exactly just want to know if their is a ather better easy way before i play around with queues

i hope this makes sense i am not the best at English and spellchecking can only so so much XD.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: automatic bandwidth balancing  [SOLVED]

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:22 am

Use limit and max-limit parameters of the queues. limit is the guaranteed minimum, max-limit is the maximum the queue can use if there is free bandwidth left in the parent queue - both because the sum of limit values of the child queues is lower than the limit of the parent queue or because other child queues do not make use of their limit. So for the parent queue for download direction, set both limit and max-limit to those 40M, and set its child queues for the individual users/devices for their current limit/i] values but set their max-limit to 40M. So every individual user/device will have their 5 or 6 M when they need them, but if someone doesn't currently use their quota, others will make use of it (evenly, i.e. "bandwidth balancing", unless you add priority to the mix).

The above is simplified, to show the idea, you'll probably have some separate queue there for critical traffic like telephony, ACK-only packets which should not be slowed down etc.

Giftslayer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: automatic bandwidth balancing

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Thx load_balancing is somthing that i whant to do if i get a 2nd/backup isp but i am looking for Queues.
Il be sure to read up on the load_Balancing and the Queue links. the more you know the better :)

Use limit and max-limit parameters of the queues. limit is the guaranteed minimum, max-limit is the maximum the queue can use if there is free bandwidth left in the parent queue - both because the sum of limit values of the child queues is lower than the limit of the parent queue or because other child queues do not make use of their limit. So for the parent queue for download direction, set both limit and max-limit to those 40M, and set its child queues for the individual users/devices for their current limit/i] values but set their max-limit to 40M. So every individual user/device will have their 5 or 6 M when they need them, but if someone doesn't currently use their quota, others will make use of it (evenly, i.e. "bandwidth balancing", unless you add priority to the mix).

The above is simplified, to show the idea, you'll probably have some separate queue there for critical traffic like telephony, ACK-only packets which should not be slowed down etc.

Thx this clears things up i knew it was somtihng in the direction that you sayed but was not 100% sure already started testing it (just forgot the parent queue XD).
I dont have IPphones so i dont think i need to make queues for it but Thx for the telling me i be sure to look into it if i get telepone and wificaling.
il also ready up on ACK-only packets

THX a lot for the help!