Community discussions

MikroTik App

Southweave
just joined
Topic Author

Silencing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ router

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:08 am

In this post I'll go through my process of silencing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+

FINAL SETUP at the end of the post, this tells exactly what I used!

I started looking into silencing my router the day I got it as my ambient temperature wasn't low enough to keep the fans off. I use it in my office and it sits in a server cabinet, which does help with noise a little bit, but not enough for my preference.

Stage 1: Switching the fans
As with any enterprise grade product which has fans I immediately check if I can change the fans to Noctua. Luckily for me it could be done and I found other users doing the same:
  1. viewtopic.php?t=128761
  2. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84475
While it did make the router much quieter it wasn't enough for me. Fan switch might already be enough for most users! It would've been fine for me if the router would be more than 3 meters away from me.

Stage 2: Using low noise adaptor (had several lying around)
While adding low noise adaptors I made sure to check temperatures.
Idle temperatures (these depend on ambient temperature):
  • Without adaptor: 55C 4800rpm
  • Low noise adaptor: 55C (didn't watch the RPM, I guess ~4500)
  • Ultra low noise adaptor: 59-63C 4200RM

With Ultra low noise adaptors router didn't have much headroom in terms of temperature, however currently loads on the router were very low so I knew it wouldn't go much higher. So for a while I simply used Ultra low noise and accepted higher temperatures. I still wasn't fine with it, while I knew it would be fine under those temps I didn't like the lack of headroom.

Stage 3: Searching for alternate options
My server rack has 4x 220v fans at the top which pull the hot air out. However as you could probably already guess they were too loud and were mostly turned off.
I went ahead and bought another 4 Noctua fans, AC to DC PSU and PWM fan controller (to make sure I can set it very low speed).
This reduced ambient temperature in the rack and brought temperatures down to 54-55C. Great, temperatures are now under control with Ultra low noise adaptor! While temperatures were under control the fan noise still didn't reduce much, they were still running at 4050 - 4200RPM.

Next I considered adding a 120mm to 40mm fan adapter (3D printed) to the outside of the case. However the way fans are currently attached internally (to another plastic case) I didn't feel comfortable with the extra weight on the back. While doing maintenance I could also bump into it and break something. So while this was an option it wasn't a very good one.

I also considered destroying the top cover to mount 140mm fan, which would certainly be quiet and have adequate cooling. I don't like destroying my devices so I left this as the very last option.
I even went ahead and started 3D printing a new cover into which I could immediately add slot for the fan, however I only have PLA and wasn't sure how it would hold up over time. So before getting the final design printed I decided to look into other options.

Stage 4: Back to noctua fans, running bothfans at the same time
I started looking into running both fans at the same time as currently only single one is used at the time.
From forums I found: viewtopic.php?t=94746
While the responses wasn't encouraging I decided I would still go ahead and give it a go with physical solution (software doesn't allow it).

Final setup
  • Main fan header split into two (with NA-YC1, had them from previous purchases)
  • Each fan got an ultra low noise adaptor (NA-RC7 placed between the fan and the splitter)
  • 2x Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX (12V fans, 20mm thickness)

With this setup the temperatures are under control 54-55C and fans spin at ~2600 RPM (at least WebFig reports it)
The router is silent now and ambient noise is once again dominating.
You don't have to use the parts listed here, any 3 or 4 pin Y splitter will work, you can make your own low noise adaptors with resistors and you can probably do it with original fans (as RPM's are low).

Sadly I didn't take any noise readings, however currently my ambient noise is around 40 decibels (using a phone app, so take it with a grain of salt).

Hope this guide helps someone, it would've saved me a lot of headache if this post would've already existed prior to much purchase

webasdf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Silencing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ router

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:12 pm

I just went through this exercise. Thanks for all the info! I was able to get mine down to an acceptable level with the NF-A4x20 Noctua fan and the Ultra-low noise adapter. (NA-RC12). I just replaced the main fan with this fan and the RC-12. I didn't go through the splitter and using 2 Noctua fans. I also noticed that I had a really hot switch right under the router in my rack. I moved that switch away from the router and that seems to have helped quite a bit as well. Router is sitting at 57C and QUIET. Oh so quiet! Thanks again!

BTW, I found the kit on Amazon. Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (40x20mm, Brown). $14.95
71Ywc8LceeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.