Community discussions

MikroTik App

invader zog
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

connections dropping (FTP, IM, RDP, etc)

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:45 pm

We seem to have an issue with our Router Board 532 dropping TCP connections. Since I switched us over to MikroTik, those of us who use IM clients have seen our connections to the IM servers periodically disconnect the reconnect throughout the day.

After receiving some complaints about FTP from some users, I was able to replicate their issues. I took a collection of files in a directory (ranging from ~40K to ~6MB) and attempted to upload them to two different FTP servers. Both times, in the middle of the transfer, it would fail.

How can I go about debugging this??

RouterOS 2.9.30

Giepie

Re: connections dropping (FTP, IM, RDP, etc)

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 am

Two questions:

1) Are you using Load Balancing or Bonding?

2) Are you using your MT to dial out to the internet (if you are using PPPoE to access your ISP)

If your answer is 1, my solution is not to load balance those ports giving problems (or better yet, DON'T LOAD BALANCE AT ALL! IT HAS THE TENDENCY TO BREAK ICMP)

If your answer is 2, my solution is to play with your "Chance MSS" options under your PPP Profile used for your PPPoE-Client. Usually it's best to be set to NO.

invader zog
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 am

Two questions:

1) Are you using Load Balancing or Bonding?

2) Are you using your MT to dial out to the internet (if you are using PPPoE to access your ISP)

If your answer is 1, my solution is not to load balance those ports giving problems (or better yet, DON'T LOAD BALANCE AT ALL! IT HAS THE TENDENCY TO BREAK ICMP)

If your answer is 2, my solution is to play with your "Chance MSS" options under your PPP Profile used for your PPPoE-Client. Usually it's best to be set to NO.
1) I am routing all traffic from one subnet (i.e. desktop users) over the DSL line and all traffic over the other subnet (servers) over the T1. The connections seem *much* more likely to have problems when routed over the DSL line (i.e. if I use routing marks to set the traffic over the T1, it does fairly well). This makes me think that the issue may have more to do more w/ the DSL line than the FW

2) The DSL modem does the PPPoE. The MT uses the DSL modem as its default gateway.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am

Try to decrease MTU/MRU values (the method to do it described at PPPoE documentation), if you will have problems after, paste your rules that you are using for load balancing.