Community discussions

MikroTik App

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Using netinstall from linux

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi, one of my routers stopped beting accessible and refuses to get the default configuration. It boots, gets ip from ether1 and calls cloud, but it does not offer dhcp and cannot be accessed on the wireless or the remaining ether ports. It is a hAP ac^2.

I'm a linux user, and when I tried to run netinstall using wine (or wine-developent , the unstable one), I get the following:
bootp recv bytes: 300
client: 74:4D:28:36:04:A1
bootp req received
FAILED TO REPLY
I don't understand the message. I'm quite stuck. I have no windows or OS X machine. We are a linux company and work fully from home/remote office since coronavirus...
Isn't there a way to run netinstall with linux? Do I have any alternative, beyond looking for someone that will let me use their machine with administrative
permissions and try to understand the way to move out of the way all the crap-ware firewalls/antivirus stuff/etc in windows? (and restore
it later so that the person who will lend me the machine does not get upset...)

The router does not respond at all after resetting the configuration. I'm not sure if it resets it, as it boots with the old SSID and does not offer DHCP leases; on ether1 it gets an upstream ip and does its dns and chat things from port 5678 to 30000... Is there any feedback after a configuration reset? (I don't see any response)

It has been running happily 7.1Beta1 for a long time, and the problem happened today out of the blue, it stopped giving leases and became inaccessible, and I can't find a way to recover it...

I have tried netinstall 6.44, 6.47.2 and 7.1Beta2

acrophobic

Re: Using netinstall from linux

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 am

I'm not sure if this would help you..?
viewtopic.php?t=134220

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Using netinstall from linux  [SOLVED]

Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:01 pm

For reference, netinstall is usable from linux. The problem is in the manual.

Follow it until where it says: Configure Net booting settings. Then, instead of setting 192.168.88.3 as the image shows, just set 192.168.88.1 instead and the router will appear, boot and flash...

I did uncountable attempts with linux, and another uncountable number from a lent windows machine, noticing that they failed in exactly the same way. I found the linux+wine behaviour better, at least it shows standard error information.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Using netinstall from linux

Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:11 am

I've been struggling with this as well. Looks like netinstall fails to send a reply if the linux host does not have a default route set. After setting a default route everything works just fine.