Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

If I create VLAN will I loose management on remote router?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi, it's a bit hard here to receive support, I'm sorry for this, I'm trying to figure out myself but I'm afaraid to lose control of remote host, and I?m no tin the place to eventually fix it.
I guess that for create CAPS with different SSID connected to different IP domains I need VLAN, now I read that a VLAN should be assigned to bridge and bridge to ethernet, since at this moment I'm reaching the remote host configured with the default bridge (as well as the local router), will I loose it if I configure a VLAN? or is it possible to create a new bridge and associate to it a VLAN? As I know, the ethernet link should be VLAN standard or classic etherent, it can't be mixed, so I'll lose the remote host.

Maybe there is a safe procedure to don't lose it? For example configure remote properly, so when the local will configure the ethernet as well it will see it back.
Than you a lot for a kind example

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Re: If I create VLAN will I loose management on remote router?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm

For those who may have the same question, there is no need to create VLAN to make a second IP domain working as a slave on caps, the caps protocol use an encapsluation, it's able to transport infos regardless of their IP address, so keep all APs on the same subnet and work with bridges only on Capsman, there you need to disable the loacl forwarding, to suppress the ethernet broadcasting between bridges and let the local DHCP on extra bridge serve that slave subnet.
WHat you need to remember, that will save your time, is to manually delete caps on the list under "caps inteface", before renewing them. There is a bug on firmware that won't allow that working until you remove them

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Re: If I create VLAN will I loose management on remote router?  [SOLVED]

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:08 pm

there is also a way (God bless MIkrotik for that) the telnet a lost router with its mac address, so if the mac can each other communicate, no matter of IP, an available mikrotik can telnet the lost one and send an undo command, to revive it as previously