Community discussions

brundier
just joined
Topic Author

How to Limit Connection to 1 Host Only

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 am

Dear Mikrotik`ers,
I got some problem here. I`m sharing my internet connection to several clients using wireless connection and its have no problem until now. Some of my client sharing their connection to another people too.
So, how I can limit my client so their can`t share their connection to another client? may MT do that?
Thanks a lot.

JJCinAZ

Re: How to Limit Connection to 1 Host Only

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:02 am

The only way I've seen this done reliably is a complicated system which monitored various segment and session ID's in various packet headers to infer multiple hosts. Mikrotik can't do that.

You can restrict via Mac address limitations, e.g. change interface ARP settings to reply only and use static ARP entries or get DHCP server to add ARP entries. In the wireless area, you can use various forms of Mac authentication. None of this prevents someone from NAT'ing through to multiple other hosts. To prevent that, you really have to establish an Acceptable Use Policy and police it with connection limits, bandwidth usage graphing, and support personnel training.

jorj

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:52 pm

You could change ttl to 1.
Would work for most of the users. Smart ones may circumvent this, changing it again.

(Of course, the papers, contracts should specifically allow/prohibit connection sharing by your clients.)

Znuff
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 am

Simple answer: you can't.

And you shouldn't. What if the user has more computers at home? Many people have a laptop and a desktop @ home and their using a router so they can use them both at the same time. I'd stay away from an ISP like that.

Just a friendly advice.

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I think you people didn't understand what Brundier wants to know, maybe he is not using MT OS for his routing. Cause he told here that he is sharing internet connection to several clients using wireless but didn't said he use MT OS for that. and for his real question it is right that he can't stop sharing from MT OS too, he can only limite his client bandwidth. And this is the real solution for that cause we can only give our clients a limited bandwidth and after that if he or she wants to share it for another 2 or more PC that's not our bisuness, cause clients will only get that much BW what we will give them.

Maybe I'm not clear too though....

Thanks

fatonk

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:55 pm

decrement ttl to waht suits you (maybe 2) and limit number of connections per IP and you will have some results.

Regards

Faton

abc123

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:28 pm

did you EVER try to change TTLs going through your network to value 1 or 2 as you suggested? You have no idea what would happen if you do that... basic knowledge of tcp/ip would prohibit you telling something like this unless you really want to harm the guy who asked for help.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT CHANGING TTL TO 1 OR 2 !!

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:19 am

hey you two amateurs, did you EVER try to change TTLs going through your network to value 1 or 2 as you suggested? You have no idea what would happen if you do that... basic knowledge of tcp/ip would prohibit you telling something like this unless you really want to harm the guy who asked for help.
Dear abc123, may I know whom you called amateurs?

fatonk

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:03 am

dear abc123, you should take care how you are talking to the colleagues in the forum. You may not agree on what others write but you should not ofence anyone, be more polite and if you want to measure my knowledge of TCP/IP we can sattle it elsewhere not here. Lastly, I see that you have no idea of what I was talking about.

Reagrds

Faton