Community discussions

MikroTik App

amojak
just joined
Topic Author

Very annoying VoIP affecting bug in latest 6.47.x Router OS

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi All,

After consuming masses of time chasing a very elusive problem with VoIP , we have finally found out the cause.

Router OS 6.47.x basically.

Our scenario is we use RB wifi routers, usually in bridge mode at customer locations but also in some infrastructure glue "switches/routers" and we use TOS/DSCP marking for QoS over our network.

This means although the router is basically in bridge mode, we turn off "allow fast path" and turn on "use IP firewall" under the bridge settings.

This way we can mark packets with a DSCP/ToS value using mangle for some IP ranges.

This worked fine until 6.47.x.

A test setup would be to have either a HAP AC or the 951 single band equivalent or even a AC lite/HAP/rb750/hex poe etc.. Set up as a bridge, with ports 2 to 5 hardware bridged and port 1 software bridged to them.

connect a VoIP base to ethernet 1, this being software bridged will mean the packets can be processed by the mangle rule.

this setup works fine in earlier versions, such as the long term 6.45.9 and many 6.46 versions

However if you have the same setup on 6.47.x then as soon as you set the Bridge fast path/firewall settings as above, the VoIP basically becomes unusable. put them back and it restores.

Roll the router back to 6.45.9 and all is fine again in both on/off.

This has cost us many many hours of chasing what was basically an invisible problem when you checked the router remotely and it annoyed a lot of customers.

Rolling back to 6.45.9 across all router OS devices was not without problems too, there is still a bug present that has been present for a long time whereby static routes do not restore after a upgrade/downgrade and have to be manually disabled/enabled to restore them.

I would STRONGLY suggest you rename 6.47.x as Beta/Testing as it is NOT stable, either that or perform far more thorough testing before releasing it.

We can only assume this has happened due to the major changes you made to the way Router OS works, as it also broke VLAN's for use with Bonding completely.

Bill - Kijoma

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Very annoying VoIP affecting bug in latest 6.47.x Router OS

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Nice report but the responsible thing is to create supout reports and raise a ticket with MT (for both issues new and old).
Assuming that was the first step right?

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:41 am

Nice report but the responsible thing is to create supout reports and raise a ticket with MT (for both issues new and old).
Assuming that was the first step right?
MikroTik's support is awful. I have been providing them with multiple supout files and 1 and a half month later, issue is unresolved, they find irrelevant things in my config and blame the ROS bugs on the config instead of taking responsibility to fix their broken code.

I'm moving away from MikroTik as soon as I have the money.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 am

@DarkNate
Have some patience.... it is frustrating when they do not respond on a timely manner.... but with this COVID hitting everywhere its a new situation and will take time to adjust. It’s very difficult to beat the MikroTik value proposition ... very few players in this Value game ....

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:30 am

@DarkNate
Have some patience.... it is frustrating when they do not respond on a timely manner.... but with this COVID hitting everywhere its a new situation and will take time to adjust. It’s very difficult to beat the MikroTik value proposition ... very few players in this Value game ....
Honestly, MikroTik is simply not stable enough for production use. These strange bugs are a pain in the ass.

neutronlaser

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:43 am

Add rule that stops the fasttrack

tippenring

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 am

Thanks for the heads up on the issue. I can understand your frustration. However, it seems to me the injury is at least partly self-inflicted. I won't go into change management and lab test procedures. I'll just say that it sounds to me like you pushed out updated software without testing your traffic profile.

You haven't identified the actual cause of the problem. You're only implying that you believe it to be a router issue because of your testing circumstances. While that seems a reasonable conclusion, you don't know the actual cause of the problem yet. It could still be a configuration issue.

Check to make sure your organization's risk profile aligns with your processes. It sounds like it may not.