Community discussions

MikroTik App

kvstudio6
just joined
Topic Author

pptp error and keep attack

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:58 am

I received a logs from unknow users are using admin account to attack my network.

how I can block it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kvstudio6
just joined
Topic Author

Re: pptp error and keep attack

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am

anyone can help ?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 pm

You cannot stop these attack unless you can restrict the access to the PPTP service to a pre-defined list of remote IP addresses (which will only reduce the number of attackers anyway). It is also not a good idea to use default user names such as admin or root as the attacker only has the password left to guess.

There are more advanced techniques banning a remote IP address dynamically for hours/days after a certain amount of failed login accounts from that address, but these only protect you from password brute-forcing and if you have a bad day, you can easily to ban yourself. Password bypass attacks (targeting vulnerabilities in the VPN server software) cannot be stopped this way.

So a better aproach is to use a VPN with certificate-based authentication such as IPsec, SSTP or OpenVPN, and then a password-protected account to manage the device itself. So you have two independent layers of security and both need to be cracked to get in.

kvstudio6
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:56 am

will close the pptp, thanks information