Community discussions

MikroTik App

corp9592
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMAN upgrade doubts

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Hello,
The fact is I have a CAPs Manager (ARM based hAP ac2 in long-term v6.45.9) and a CAP Slave (MIPSBE mAP Lite 2nD in stable v6.46.6). I attached an external storage to the Manager and uploaded the mipsbe npk file in a folder inside the disk1 "/disk1/upgrade". I set the package path to "/disk1/upgrade" and the upgrade policy to suggest same version.

I go to Remote CAP, double click the mAP Lite, click on Upgrade and nothing happens. Nothing good but also nothing bad. I get no error, no confirmation, nothing.

Is it related to the path (should I point to the actual file instead of the directory?), architecture issue? versions issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards.

neutronlaser

Re: CAPsMAN upgrade doubts

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 pm

Just upgrade by internet

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:10 pm

It is fine to set /caps-man manager package-path to folder where npks reside.

My successfull procedure is that when I want to upgrade the gear, I first download packages for architectures of CAPs and place them in correct folder on CAPsMAN. Then I start upgrade on CAPsMAN (usually I use usual procedure for upgrading via internet). When it reboots to new version, also CAPs fetch upgrade packages from CAPsMAN and upgrade. I'm not sure how it would behave if I would upgrade CAPsMAN without first making available upgrade packages for CAP devices ...

karlisi

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am

... CAPs Manager (ARM based hAP ac2 in long-term v6.45.9) and a CAP Slave (MIPSBE mAP Lite 2nD in stable v6.46.6) ... and the upgrade policy to suggest same version.
All works as expected, on client there is newer version as on manager, it's why nothing happens. You can do as @mkx suggests, in fact, this way it works if manager and clients are same architecture. But You don't have to put packages for clients before manager upgrade. First upgrade manager, then place client package to upgrade path. Clients upgrade can be started from CAPsMAN management 'Remote CAP' tab. To not interrupt wireless in business hours, I have scheduled task for it.

corp9592
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:16 am

Ok, understood. Somehow I thought that one could upgrade CAP with any version wanted.
Best regards.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:15 pm

I set the package path to "/disk1/upgrade" and the upgrade policy to suggest same version
Ok, understood. Somehow I thought that one could upgrade CAP with any version wanted.

Well, the setting you mentioned in one of previous posts (quoted above) refers to ROS version running on CAPsMAN, not to versions of packages accidentally lying around. If you want to have some random version on CAP devices, you still have to install that version manually (and have the CAPsMAN upgrade policy set to none not to interfere).

neutronlaser

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Just press Auto Upgrade