Community discussions

MikroTik App

bridgh20
Topic Author

Updating from 6.28

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 am

Been awhile since updating that far back. We inherited a dozen devices - 750s and 912s. Wasn't there a warning about updating to far forward? As though we needed to step up to 6.33 before attempting later like the stable version now?

Thanks

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: Updating from 6.28

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28 am

That's very old, lots of security holes, metinstall is your friend

bridgh20
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:08 am

They are 250 miles away hoping to upload the firmware.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 am

I'm always nervous when I'm doing remote updates. But so far everything survived, and that was even with much bigger version jumps. It also depends on the config. If access to device needs just ethernet, it's simple and there are no major changes in that, so it shouldn't break in any case. If it depends on things like wireless or ipsec, I'd be a little more worried, but it should work too. I've seen some suggestions about doing upgrades in smaller steps, but I'm not aware of any official guide. I also don't recall any documented problems with big jumps. But as you can expect, no one can guarantee that even small update can't fail.

tippenring

Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:17 pm

That's very old, lots of security holes, metinstall is your friend
If these devices have the Winbox port exposed to the internet, then I would assume they are compromised. I would make the trip to netinstall them along with evaluating the networks behind them to see if they are compromised as well. See https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-14847 regarding RouterOS versions older than 6.42 that had the Winbox port publicly accessible. When this was published, attackers scanned the internet searching for vulnerable routers and found many.

If 8291 isn't exposed to the internet, you may wish to review the other Mikrotik CVEs: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/result ... h_type=all to check for other possible exposures.