Community discussions

MikroTik App

eifoen
just joined
Topic Author

IPv6 DualStack over PPPoE

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to setup my ne ISP connection with a DualStack configuration. Previously my ISP wasn't really able to provide working IPv6 so now it's finally time to upgrade.

I setup the PPPoE interface (behind a VLAN interface because of VDSL) which is working great on all my old IPv4 configurations. Today I enabled the ipv6 package and all my interfaces got a Link-Local Address assigned but my pppoe interface did not. When I try to get a prefix with DHCPv6 the client doesn't send a single packet until I assign an LLA manually but I still don't get any answer to my requests then.

Any Ideas on that? :-/

Greeting Eifoen

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 DualStack over PPPoE

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Try to run DHCPv6 client on PPPoE interface and request a prefix:
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-out1 pool-name=ipv6 request=prefix
The pppoe interface will get a LL address which is enough for routing traffic. You can assign some global address to your LAN interface:
/ipv6 address
add address=::1 from-pool=ipv6 interface=LAN
It'll take a /64 prefix from pool, assign address belonging to that prefix and ending with :1 to LAN interface. By default it'll send RAs and LAN devices will be able to autoconfigure appropriate addresses using SLAAC.

At least that's how it works with my ISP over PPOoE (xDSL).

bluntmike
just joined

Re: IPv6 DualStack over PPPoE

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 pm

@mkx regarding this:
/ipv6 address
add address=::1 from-pool=ipv6 interface=LAN
is this "LAN" interface your lan bridge? i'd like it to automatically assign to devices on my network (connected via the various ports of the MK)
Last edited by bluntmike on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.