Community discussions

MikroTik App

Juraj22
just joined
Topic Author

Optical cable and SFP advice

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:30 am

Hello,

I would like to ask for your advice. We have to connect two buildings cca 200m. There is stretched up optical cable already(label on cable is: SC simplex 2.0 mm OFNR
received_3391737650940003.jpeg
), so I understand that i need SC SFP connectors buy for it, but i dont have any experience with this type of optical cable. So my questions are:

1. I need two same type of SC SFP connectors on both ends of cable? or is there something as a transmitter of reciever?
2. I have experience only with LC connector with two fibre(duplex).....here is only one fibre(how it works...is it also full duplex?)
3. Can you reccomend me some SFP for this type of cable? We have bought two hEX S routers.

Thank you very much for your advice :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Optical cable and SFP advice

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm

You need two different SFP. Example one R1310nm T1490nm and the second one R1490nm T1310nm and one fiber.

You can use a standard fibre and you can also get Armoured fibre cables that are robuster. Or even military grade ones.
Length can be adjusted to the length you need + extra by clicking the customize button. If in doubt contact support there and they will help you.

Good source is www.fs.com

Juraj22
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for answer.

Cable is strretched already. :) Same like on the picture.

So i Need two different SFPs....type like you said? One is reciever and one transmitter and is it full duplex? :) Because there is stretched only one fibre cable and we need full-duplex communication :)
Thanks.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm

I assume by "streched" that have two cable that are connected in the middle by a adaptor? That is normally called "extended".

200 meter military grade, can be even put in the ground, cost about 160 Euro and armoured around 110 Euro. If you all indoor and protected a fibre cost around 25 Euro for 200 meters.

Calculate the length correct and add some extra meters to have reserve and so you dont have use adaptors to extend the cable.

The cable is full duplex and so is every SFP.

You better contact sales at FS because they can tell better what cable you need and which SFP.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 pm

There is stretched up optical cable already(label on cable is: SC simplex 2.0 mm OFNR
That does not tell you the type of fibre - SC is the type of plug, simplex is single fibre, 2.0mm OFNR is the diameter and and fire rating of the cable.

You need to know if the fibre is single mode or multimode, and if the patch panel connectors are flat or angled as mixing connector types will cause physical damage - it is likely to be single-mode with angled connectors (APC), as they are colour coded green, but this needs confirming. The part number of the transceivers fitted to that existing switch should let you find it from their datasheets.

If it is single-mode with APC then https://mikrotik.com/product/S-3553LC20D (or similar third-party devices) with simplex SC/APC to LC/PC single-mode patch cables (e.g. https://www.fs.com/uk/products/62913.html) should do.

mbovenka

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Cable is strretched already. :) Same like on the picture.

So i Need two different SFPs....type like you said? One is reciever and one transmitter and is it full duplex? :) Because there is stretched only one fibre cable and we need full-duplex communication :)

What you have is simplex (single strand) fiber, and from the color of the sheath OS2 single mode.

What you need is a set of 1000BASE-BX10 SFPs, a 1000BASE-BX10-U (transmits at 1310nm, receives at 1490nm) and a 1000BASE-BX10-D (transmits at 1490nm, receives at 1310nm). Use one at one end of the link, and the other at the other end. To connect them to your fiber panels (which use APC SC connectors from the picture) you need these in the correct length.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:02 am

You could go for a LC connector on both sides of the cable. If you use the panel then use what already have and that SC connectors and if the SFP comes with a LC connector then use the cable LC-APC as the two posters above also suggested.

SC/APC = Green and SC/PC = Blue and this picture shows the differences for the tips:

About LC and SC connectors:

http://www.fiber-optic-tutorial.com/lc- ... ction.html

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi there,
happy to find this thread as I roughly the same challenge.

I'm going to adapt the existing FTTH installation to allow to network independent 9 endpoints.
I think as got I'm quite close to ordering the components. The only think what causes me still headaches it to chose the right SFP Transceiver Modules.
  1. Which ones of those available at FS.com are the right ones for MikroTik using either LC/APC or LC/PC Fibre Optic Patch Lead?
    MikroTik is almost not listed as a brand in "Compatible"
  2. There multiple choices of "Transceiver Type", even for the linked ones, earlier in this thread. How to choose the right one?
  3. It is recommended to use duplex fibre optic to connected switches and router to each other in a small network or is simples sufficient?

Here is my current material list for clarification:
  1. 9 existing singlemode FTTH fibres, with 4 wires each will be cut and connected to a spliced fibre enclosure
    The fibres are 125 μm in a yellow 2 mm FTTH cable
    The enclosure will be:
  2. few of these fibres will be connected to a router but don't if I go for simple one or straight for a powerful one (or somewhere in between):
  3. The router connects to one or two switches:
  4. the main switch will be connected to spliced fibre enclosure, using
  5. from the spliced fibre enclosure nine pigtails will be used to connect to each endpoint

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:26 pm

Here is my current material list for clarification:
FS was that nice and made a drawing, I had to add some details.
Now it shows all :)
PDF: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aiv917kHppsfzypMKm8 ... h?e=NjudDc

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:59 pm

FYI: I got the entire system up and running.
I'm starting from scratch in regard to the configuration, if anyone is interested, you can follow me here cascaded core network CCR-CRS-CRS with satellite swichtes+APs - an attempt of a guide from A-Z - MikroTik and/or PackElend/MikroTik (github.com)