si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

strange missing 1s every 3s after upgrade to 6.47.6

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:46 am

Hi All,

im having a strange issue with a CRS125-24G-1S after updating 6.47.6

it doesnt appear to be keeping the clock correctly?

every 20mins im getting the message
sntp change time FROM => TO
so ive connected into the switch and watched the clock in the address bar
and what im seeings, every 3 seconds its freezing for 1 second before carrying onto the next second

e.g. 1>2>3>FREEZE>4 when in fact its 1>2>3>4>5 if that makes sense?

so its 1 second out but then seconds then seem to add up to minutes out?

i havent restarted the switch yet because its a working switch (last night was maintenance night sods law)

any suggestions?

Regards

Simon

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: strange missing 1s every 3s after upgrade to 6.47.6

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:21 pm

When you were upgrading ROS, did you upgrade routerboot as well? Sometimes there are (tiny) discrepancies between (old) routerboot and modern ROS which are only resolved by upgrading routerboot to modern version (shipped with ROS itself), which has to be followed by reboot of device (sorry for that).

/system routerboard upgrade

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:35 pm

When you were upgrading ROS, did you upgrade routerboot as well? Sometimes there are (tiny) discrepancies between (old) routerboot and modern ROS which are only resolved by upgrading routerboot to modern version (shipped with ROS itself), which has to be followed by reboot of device (sorry for that).

/system routerboard upgrade
Hi,
yes its my standard of practice...
1. upgrade packages with download+install (will reboot itself)
2. once rebooted, wait 1 min
3. upgrade firmware with /system routerboard upgrade
4. then reboot again and leave it to its devices

i have upgraded a few other of these switches at various locations and none of them seem to have the same issue?
only this one?

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm

ive created a mini gif video to show the issue

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:34 pm

only this one?
Did this actually start with upgrade? Or was it present with previous ROS versions (but you did not notice it)? Obvious reason for that happening is CPU frequency way off what router thinks it should be (e.g. 20% slower than it should be). I'm not entirely sure how CPU frequency gets determined at boot time, it's easy if device has (at least semi-precise) RTC and calibration loop can count number of CPU cycles done inside certain time duration. But MT devices (AFAIK, at least most of them) don't have RTC, hence 1.1.1970 at boot and if router doesn't have external source of time (e.g. NTP or MT cloud or whatever), then log timestamps stay in year 1970.

You can't see the real cause of error only by observing timestamps with 1 sec resolution. System time might actually progress uniformly, but display gets rounded off and it could be the rounding error you see when router "doesn't advance the clock". But if this is the real reason, then it would be present with all versions of ROS running on that particular device.

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm

only this one?
Did this actually start with upgrade? Or was it present with previous ROS versions (but you did not notice it)? Obvious reason for that happening is CPU frequency way off what router thinks it should be (e.g. 20% slower than it should be). You can't see it only by observing timestamps with 1 sec resolution as they get rounded off and it could be the rounding error you see when router "doesn't advance the clock". But if this is the real reason, then it would be present with all versions of ROS.
Hi
yes it only started happening after the upgrade to 6.47.6
as i explained, i cant restart the switch yet as its a working switch for a private hospital (so i have to do it well outta hours)
the only other thing i have literally just spotted is under resources it shows 0.7% for Bad Blocks ?

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: strange missing 1s every 3s after upgrade to 6.47.6  [SOLVED]

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi All

ok so weird one, i rebooted the switch (the staff had all finished for the day, and nobody was in the building so saw my window!)

its now keeping time and not missing any seconds or freezing seconds?

very strange?