Community discussions

MikroTik App

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Very old ROS versions

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm

I am looking for very old versions of ROS (mipsbe), prefferably last vesions in 3.x, 4.x and 5.x (with netinstall - of course :-)).
Is there some kind of archive on official web site or any other site ?

thanks

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Very old ROS versions

Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks,

Still confused why there is not some more "comfortable" way to access it, but...

thanks again

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:17 am

Because software archaeology is not a popular hobby, so it would be too much effort spent on Mikrotik side just to satisfy you and the other two guys practising it :)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm sure it's more than three, but yeah, probably something like that. But as far as I can tell, old RouterOS versions are not that interesting. It's mostly like current RouterOS, only some features are missings. And WinBox before 5.x looks slightly different. If you just want to have a look (I doubt that there's any serious use for such old versions), it's probably easier to use x86 version in VM. It will only work for 24 hours without license, but it should be enough.

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Because software archaeology is not a popular hobby, so it would be too much effort spent on Mikrotik side just to satisfy you and the other two guys practising it :)
I’ve always wondered why people who can’t contribute anything useful to the discussion have a need to write

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm sure it's more than three, but yeah, probably something like that. But as far as I can tell, old RouterOS versions are not that interesting. It's mostly like current RouterOS, only some features are missings. And WinBox before 5.x looks slightly different. If you just want to have a look (I doubt that there's any serious use for such old versions), it's probably easier to use x86 version in VM. It will only work for 24 hours without license, but it should be enough.
Thanks, I'm aware of all that but that's not the point.
I have my reason why I need old versions, and it doesn’t matter to the rest of the galaxy, so I’ll just thank you once again for your first answer.
It was helpful and constructive.

Regards

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm

What's wrong with @sindy's answer? It's quite likely exactly what MikroTik people think. ;)

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 pm

I’ve always wondered why people who can’t contribute anything useful to the discussion have a need to write

Hmmm,@sindy is in the top 3, if not the most knowledgeable person on this forum and always willing to share his knowledge, so be careful to burn bridges

Same can be said for your comment / reply, if you did not like his post, move on, read next post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 am

In fact, it was a serious answer to your question
why there is not some more "comfortable" way to access it
But due to the light form of it (my colleagues actually complain about the reverse, that I take everything too seriously), you've misunderstood it as me poking fun on your interest in old versions.

So dead serious again: The IT world is full of brilliant ideas, but not enough coders are available to implement them all. The web interface must be reasonably comfortable for a typical user at first place, hence the number of steps needed to reach the current versions must be kept as low as possible. Bear in mind that they already have four branches (6-long-term/6-stable/6-devel/7-beta), and there are several architectures, so the matrix is already large enough. Adding (and maintaining!) a dedicated section of the web for comfortable access to the old releases would be a way, but it would require an additional effort. And the decision whether to spend a development effort on a feature is always based on the benefit that feature is expected to bring. And since there are really just few people in the world interested in the old versions, the Mikrotik decision makers have clearly prioritized other development.

(Unfortunately, too few people seem to be interested in current versions as well, as you can see from time to time here on the forum, where people get surprised that their three years old RouterOS version got squatted by malware).

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:35 am

There would be easy way, since they already have files on server in some directory structure, they could simply show it, with enabled automatic directory indexes. Nothing fancy, but friendly enough and no extra maintenance required.

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:43 am

There would be easy way, since they already have files on server in some directory structure, they could simply show it, with enabled automatic directory indexes. Nothing fancy, but friendly enough and no extra maintenance required.
exactly! Browsable folder would do the job!

thumbs up

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 am

Hmmm,@sindy is in the top 3, if not the most knowledgeable person on this forum and always willing to share his knowledge, so be careful to burn bridges

Same can be said for your comment / reply, if you did not like his post, move on, read next post.
O.K. thanks for contribution...

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 am

O.K. thanks for contribution...
Ditto....

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:14 am

Since this thread went offtopic anyway, if you could limit the amount of quotes in your posts, that whould be helpful for rss readers :-)

(Or use Post reply instead of Reply with quote)