Community discussions

MikroTik App

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

On a LTAP, how do I tell which wifi antenna connector is A and which is B?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:14 am

I have an LTAP and I can see in the wifi settings that you can choose which antenna, A or B to use. I don't see anywhere on the board that indicates which is A and which is B. Can anyone shed some light? Included a picture in order to reference.
20201101_000625640_iOS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RogerWilco

Re: On a LTAP, how do I tell which wifi antenna connector is A and which is B?

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:22 am

Just stumbled on this thread... did you ever find out the answer?
Is it possible to use external antennas for 2.4GHz?

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:13 am

Never have found out the answer to my question. To answer yours, yes you can use external antennas. The connectors are the ones circled in my photo. If you need some connectors so you can attach SMA antennas I can send you links to the ones I use.

RogerWilco

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:27 am

Never have found out the answer to my question. To answer yours, yes you can use external antennas. The connectors are the ones circled in my photo. If you need some connectors so you can attach SMA antennas I can send you links to the ones I use.
Thanks 43north!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am

@43north, have you tried to find out on your own?

By setting tx-chains=0 rx-chains=0 on the wireless interface, you can restrict the use of the radio to a single chain = antenna connector. If you connect one external antenna directly and the other one via an attenuator, /interface wireless scan should show you the difference as compared to the tx-chains=1 rx-chains=1 setting (if you have some other APs nearby of course). If you have no attenuator, a comparison between a directional antenna and an omnidirectional one will do the same job.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm

No I have not gotten that deep in testing it yet. Great ideas and thanks for the commands to run the tests. When I originally posted this I thought for sure someone from Mikrotik that has access to schematics would easily know which is which.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Seems they are labeled JB00 & 01, thinking 00 should be A and 01 B, but no guarantees :-)
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE