Community discussions

MikroTik App

m1964
just joined
Topic Author

Advice needed re: router for unheated & non-cooled garage

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi,
I am a home owner with a simple system: Spectrum Modem-> Netgear R7000 router (wireless OFF) -> Ubiquiti 8-port PoE switch-> two Ubiquiti APs, desktop, laptop, a couple of phones and tablets.
This past summer, after deciding on the APs vs router's wireless, I decided to "consolidate" all the equipment in my garage, which is half-way into the ground, uncool-ed and unheated.

I run CAT6 cables where I needed a reliable connections (2 APs, Desktop, Security NVR and media box), and installed the modem, router, switch on a garage wall which is in the shade most of the day.

A month later, I found my internet not working- it was a hot day, and the garage was hot. I turned everything off and a couple of hours later, turned everything back on, which fixed the problem.
I figured out that the modem and/or router may be the weak links because both are rated to 104F max. temperature.

I was thinking of replacing the Netgear R7000 with a wired only router anyway, since I am using APs, and its wireless is off anyway.

Ubiquity makes a couple of routers rated to 120F, ER-8 and ER-12, $199 and $259 respectively.

After a short search, I found that Mikrotik makes a few routers rated to 170F !

My IP service currently is 200/20 Mbps, I may upgrade next year to 400Mbps.

Can anyone give an advice if the RB4011iGS+RM will work for me, or maybe I can go with a less expensive option?

thanks

P.S.
I am asking now because of potential Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, otherwise I can wait till next summer.

thanks again