Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAPsMan table overview - Clarification requested.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 am

I've finally CAPsMan running on my network, I should have done this way more earlier, the WIFI AP's seems to be working way better.

I've some questions on the CAPsMan table itself, how to read/understand the table. Hope somebody can give me the answers.

On the CAPsMan interface tab page, the first column, there are the characters DRMB, I know that I can find the abbreviation in the footer of the window that you get when double clicking on one item. But my question is why do I've the R (= Running) with some of them and not with the others? Is this because of the fact somebody is connected to the AP? Then the R shows up? Can somebody explain?

Second question, why are the Tx/Rx/etc numbers all 0? Is that because I'm using local forwarding so that not all the traffic goes through the CAPsMan device?

Third question, why is the SSID in light grey color? has that a special meaning?
Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 08.27.38.png
Fourth question, in the Radio tab page, why are a number of my interfaces in grey italic font? Has this a special meaning? Is this because there is no client connected to this AP/Interface?
Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 08.27.53.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMan table overview - Clarification requested.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 am

My 5 cents (I'm not a capsman expert):
But my question is why do I've the R (= Running) with some of them and not with the others? Is this because of the fact somebody is connected to the AP? Then the R shows up?
I guess it's same as with 'real' wireless interfaces (if they are not provisioned by CAPsMAN): they are marked as running only if there's at least one wireless client connected.

Second question, why are the Tx/Rx/etc numbers all 0? Is that because I'm using local forwarding so that not all the traffic goes through the CAPsMan device?
I guess that's likely explanation.

Third question, why is the SSID in light grey color? has that a special meaning?
Genrally when clicking a row, configuration window opens. I guess greyed settings can not be changed in this configuration window as they are set elsewhere. SSID in particular is likely set in Configurations. And if you pan the columns left, there will be additional columns on the right side, most of them greyed out due to same reason.
Winbox (and webfig) have this nice feature where configurations from different subtrees together with running values get shown together, making things a tad easier to monitor/configure. In CLI this doesn't happen which makes things more straight-forward but (sometimes) harder to link corresponding items.

Fourth question, in the Radio tab page, why are a number of my interfaces in grey italic font?
These correspond to the "non-running" interfaces.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:38 am

Fourth question, in the Radio tab page, why are a number of my interfaces in grey italic font?
These correspond to the "non-running" interfaces.
Thanks for your quick response, most of your feedback is in line with my expectations. Regarding the last comment/feedback. What do you mean with "non-running" interfaces? The WIFI interface is active (ready to accept a connection) but there is no client connected? Or do you mean the WIFI interface is not operational, not working and is not able to receive/accept client connections? If the latter, then I'm concerned of course as I believe that all WIFI AP's are working :-)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

As I commented on your first question: status of an interface is "not running" if there's no connection through it. While with wired interfaces this is pretty much clear, with wireless it is not at first thought. However, one should not think that "not running" is synonymous to "down" or "disabled" or "undefined". Wireless connection is "disabled" if its property says so. According to my experience (which is little) with capsman the interface disappears from CAPsMAN if connection between CAPsMAN and CAP breaks (unless action=create-enabled under /caps-man provisioning).

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:04 am

As I commented on your first question: status of an interface is "not running" if there's no connection through it. While with wired interfaces this is pretty much clear, with wireless it is not at first thought. However, one should not think that "not running" is synonymous to "down" or "disabled" or "undefined". Wireless connection is "disabled" if its property says so. According to my experience (which is little) with capsman the interface disappears from CAPsMAN if connection between CAPsMAN and CAP breaks (unless action=create-enabled under /caps-man provisioning).
Thanks for the (extra) clarification. This matches when I check the Registration Table to see which AP's have clients connected, those are not grey/italic. The ones that do not have clients connected are indeed grey/italic. Thanks.

ghamauricio

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:35 am

Hey guys, sorry to hijack the post, but my 5GHz interfaces are all greyed out and italic.

And by running a WiFi Analyser on Android, I don't see any 5GHz SSIDs that I have set up. SOMETIMES the CAPsMAN does broadcast in 5GHz, but the CAP never does.

Also, when I try to scan on any 5GHz interface, it disconnects all interfaces (including 2GHz) and then waits for them to come back online again.

What can be going on?
(No complaints of "can't transmit in this channel" thing).

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:12 pm

In many countries, some 5 GHz channels are used by meteoradars, so the AP must passively listen on such channel for minutes before starting to use it, in order to prevent causing interference to the radars. So depending on how you've configured your /caps-man channel settings for the 5 GHz interfaces, you may have hit a channel which is used by a radar, or you just may not be patient enough.

:put [/caps-man interface get "interface-name" current-state] should tell you more.

ghamauricio

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 am

I found out part of the problem.

The router was transmitting in a channel my cell couldn't see. Maybe some wrong regulatory specification on some part (for starters, there are 4 different "country options"for Brazil in Mikrotik's settings).

The second problem still persists: when I click on scan through CAPs Manager using some 5GHz interface, it resets all the wireless interfaces in CAPsMAN (including 2,5GHz), and when they come back then yes, 5ghz will be scanning for radars.

Manually setting a few channels kinda solves it. Kinda because both stations transmit on the same channel, even though they have alternative channels to select from. And the other part is that the inability to scan makes me think something is fundamentally wrong with my setting.