MUM Europe 2020

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Request help with bandwidth shaping

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:26 am

Hi All,

I have a satellite connection as well as adsl line, I would like to have traffic shapeing setup, but wiki does not have an example for dynamic ip assigned by ADSL.

The router is setup as transparent bridge, as MT box does not seem to communicate properly when setup as router.

So we have pppoe connection running from MT router through ADSL modem to ISP and a static ip on satellite router.

If I had two static gateways, the wiki example would be simple.

But I have tried and ended up having to setup MT router again, as when clients connect they get nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Request help with bandwidth shaping

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:56 am

Hi All,

I have a satellite connection as well as adsl line, I would like to have traffic shapeing setup, but wiki does not have an example for dynamic ip assigned by ADSL.

The router is setup as transparent bridge, as MT box does not seem to communicate properly when setup as router.

So we have pppoe connection running from MT router through ADSL modem to ISP and a static ip on satellite router.

If I had two static gateways, the wiki example would be simple.

But I have tried and ended up having to setup MT router again, as when clients connect they get nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Your router is a transparent bridge, what IP is being assigned to the MT Ethernet(WAN) port? a private IP or the internet public IP?

do you have a static route 0.0.0.0/0 to the gateway IP? do you have a srcnat masquerade (NAT)?

If PPPoE to your ISP from MT is easy, through winbox, checkboxes "create default route" and "use peer dns" on the PPPoE client interface. then have srcnat masquerade to that PPPoE client interface in MT.

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi,

The answers to your questions as follows:

The Wan PPPOE IP is dynamically assigned by ISP, and is a public address.

Yes, there is a static route, and when I click the checkbox for add default route on PPPOE connection, then internet no longer works.

Yes, we do have NAT-->SRC-->Masquarade

I have successfully connected to PPPOE connection through mikrotik, but as soon as we connect even when using "add default route" on PPPOE connection the internet is no longer accessable, then we have to disconnect PPPOE make sure the routes are pointing back to the Satellite link for the internet to come back online.

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:36 am

You Need This:
chain=srcnat out-interface={your PPPoE interface} dst-address=0.0.0.0/0
     action=masquerade
and your DNS inside MT needs to be enabled for "allow remote requests"

If these are met and you check the add default route, add dns on the PPPoE then all data that is not matched on your LAN will be routed through the PPPoE interface, you shouldn't need a static route.

winagain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:30 am

Would that not make all outbound traffic pass through the pppoe connection?

As this will nat all out bound traffic to the PPPOE of the ADSL Line?