Community discussions

MikroTik App

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Having issues with WAP AC AP

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:52 am

I have capsman set up on my router, and I am trying to get my 8 APs connected. If I hold the reset button for 12 seconds while powering on the AP, it goes into AP mode and works as it should, the problem is if I powercycle the AP, it does not go back into AP mode. is there a basic set of instructions that will tell me what needs to be setup on the AP so that it starts in AP mode everytime and works with my CapsMan?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Having issues with WAP AC AP

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:19 am

I thought Capsman was meant for you to control the APs, not the other way around............. LMAO.
I wouldnt bother with using capsman until you can handle a CAPAC or two directly. ONce familiar with RouterOS and CAPACs then tackle capsman for one AP and then Two and so on..........

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:13 am

While I appreciate that is what you would do, I need this to work. All I need is some basic instructions to get the AP to boot into AP mode. I am working on moving an entire Ubiquiti system of about 90 APs over to mikrotik. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now and this is all I need to get finished up so that we can deploy. Like I said, if I hold the button when booting, the AP goes into AP mode and works great, what do I need to do so that if it reboots, it goes back to the same state?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 am

Good question, other than trying it myself on my capacs (which aint going to happen) I dont know, but others do and hopefully they will pop in and help out.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:32 am

You hold the reset button for 10 seconds (led will turn solid) to put the device into cap mode.

Personally I would get a working generic config and copy that config to each of the caps - reset without default config and have it run your custom default config. The config would include your bridge, cap settings (to connect two capsman), dhcp client and ntp settings.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:45 pm

I think the question is,,,,,,,,,,,, once you have a config you like and want to put on all the capacs, is there a way to hard code it in, so that when you push the reset button for any reason it goes back to that config and not some default config??

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 pm

No, so correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the point of CAPSMAN was to create 1 config and let it manage all of the AP's, is this not the case? what I am working on right now is an install that has a core router, 3 switches for the 3 main areas, and then 8 APs. in the core router, we have setup our VLANS, we will have a public 2.4 and public 5GHz network, and a Private 2.4 and Private 5GHz network using 4 different SSIDs. If I hold the reset button on an AP for 12 seconds, the AP boots up in CAPS mode, Caps man running on the router sees the AP and connects to it. everything works great, I get an address from the correct DHCP server on the correct VLAN, everything works as it should. The problem is once I unplug the AP to put it in place, it will not start up again in CAPS mode. If we have a power bump, I will have to take a bucket truck to get to some of the APs just to hold the reset button while it boots to get the AP to go into caps mode. am I expecting something out of the ordinary with this, because from what I have read, this is how it is supposed to work. I don't understand why you are telling me to get a config that works and start from there. I have a config that works on my main router. Is this not setup as expected?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:19 pm

What Mikrotik AP model do you use, and what SW version?

Settings are normally kept after reboot/power cycling, but on R7 this seems not to be fully true.

Another thing could be you have a boot script that overwrites original settings. (but I guess you would be aware of that...?)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Having issues with WAP AC AP  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:33 pm

No, so correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the point of CAPSMAN was to create 1 config and let it manage all of the AP's, is this not the case?
Of course it is.

It never came to my mind that "... until next reboot" could be missing in the "start up in caps mode" description in the manual.

So once the device is running as cAP after the 10-second reset press, log in to it and try system reset-configuration caps-mode=yes keep-users=yes and see what happens when it comes back up again.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 pm

I believe this is the model number you are looking for on the AP, RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-BE. The ROS version on the AP and Core router is 6.47.7, There should be no scripts that overwrites anything, I have not added any and I started with clean installs on all devices.

once the AP is rebooted into caps mode (By holding the reset button for 12 seconds) I get a message when I go to the AP address and log into the AP
"The following Default configuration has been installed on your router :
CAP Configuration,
Wireless interfaces are set to be managed by CAPsMAN.
All ethernet interfaces and CAPsMAN managed interfaces are bridged.
DHCP Client is set on Bridge interface)

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm

Sindy, That did it, everything seems to be working as it should after a power cycle now. Thank you so much for the help. In all of the instructions I have seen telling me to hold the button to get the AP into CAPs mode, there has been no mention of the config not staying after a reboot. Is this a bug in the Firmware?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Is this a bug in the Firmware?
Possibly. I've never tried to boot into cAP mode this way and I don't have a test unit handy now to try.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:36 pm

I try to stick with the most straightforward and simplest setup that works, so in the manual that came with the APs, it says to use the reset button option to get these to boot into CAPs mode, so that's the way I went. Thanks again for the help.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:01 am

I think if you boot into caps mode with the reset button you have to login and confirm the default config for that mode. If you reboot, it goes back to the default AP mode.

As for a default config, here is what I use:
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=C4:AD:34:EE:BB:AA auto-mac=no name=bridge1 priority=0x9000 \
    pvid=70 vlan-filtering=yes
/interface wireless
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 2412/20/gn(9dBm), SSID: gplab-iot, local forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no ssid=MikroTik
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 5825/20/ac(16dBm), SSID: gplab, local forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] disabled=no ssid=MikroTik
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge1 name=vlan70 vlan-id=70
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1 pvid=70
add bridge=bridge1 frame-types=admit-only-untagged-and-priority-tagged \
    interface=ether2 pvid=500
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=!dynamic
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether1 untagged=ether2 vlan-ids=500
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether1 untagged=bridge1 vlan-ids=70
/interface wireless cap
# 
set bridge=bridge1 caps-man-names=lab,CHR \
    discovery-interfaces=vlan70 enabled=yes interfaces=wlan1,wlan2
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/Chicago
/system identity
set name=AP1
/system leds settings
set all-leds-off=after-1min
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes server-dns-names=pool.ntp.org
The only thing I change is the identity and the admin mac in the config. Everything else is managed by capsman. If you don't need vlans etc you can just stick with the default config that comes with the device for caps mode.