Community discussions

MikroTik App

m1m1
Topic Author

General problem

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi friends,
I noticed I have problem with recieveing messages via viber and whatsapp while on WiFi and start point is winbox.
Version of RouterOS is 6.47.4, DHCP server is configured on 10min lease time. Lease time start at 00:10:45 - 00:11:00 and reset at when reach 00:05:00 so it resets 5 mins before IP lease expire.
Whole time since update from previous version ( I cant remember version ) it disconect and connect WiFi, on each wireless device ( issue on 3 laptops and 3 phones ), reset each few hours "without proper shutdown", dont accept WiFi password and so on. OK fine probably new version of RouterOS fix problems, but not. When updated they even invented few IP adresses with 00 MAC.

Updated 2 hours ago on 6.47.7 and most every problem is fixes except lease time. Again start on 10 min and 5/10/20 sec and reset 5 minutes before IP lease expire. Wtf?
EDIT: Forgot to tell: on new version it even jump few sec when watch IP lease countdown.

Version before 6.47.4 I catch with uptime 2 months and 5 day without any problem...

board is: 951Ui-2nD

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: General problem

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:52 pm

It is very common in DHCP leases to renew the lease when the lease time is halfway the lease period.
It is not 5 minutes before expiration, it is a lease renewal halfway the lease period.
Lease timeout is a time you can set as parameter in the DHCP server. The default lease time is indeed 10 minutes for Mikrotik.

It is the client that decides and acts to renew the lease, to be able to keep the same IP address for a longer time.

m1m1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Understand
It is very common in DHCP leases to renew the lease when the lease time is halfway the lease period.
It is not 5 minutes before expiration, it is a lease renewal halfway the lease period.
Lease timeout is a time you can set as parameter in the DHCP server. The default lease time is indeed 10 minutes for Mikrotik.

It is the client that decides and acts to renew the lease, to be able to keep the same IP address for a longer time.
Mikrotik or client? If mikrotik OK, but client impossible( all 6 devices on network and 1 with static IP curently offline )?
EDIT: My Lease is set on 10 minutes so if half expiration time lease time is renewed it is 5 minutes for me :) missunderstand. But what is with time jumping for few sec?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Mikrotik or client? If mikrotik OK, but client impossible

and reset 5 minutes before IP lease expire. Wtf

My Lease is set on 10 minutes so if half expiration time lease time is renewed it is 5 minutes for me :) missunderstand?
Let Google be your friend ... https://www.google.com/search?q=lease+r ... al+halfway

m1m1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Interesting [urlhttps://www.serverbrain.org/network-services-20 ... rks-1.html][/url] explains pretty much everything. I tottaly missunderstand you... Public apolagise :)

I did not bother with it probably on old OS, and this totally confused me.

Did anyone else noticed viber status icon on lock screen, when unlocked it in same second show viber is on-off-on in same second when pres power button on android phone? I was considering this is fault of MT but again when check status it is "bound". Sorry did not know about halftime ip lease renewal... but struggling with viber and whatsapp, messages arive instantly when unlock screen.

Is there any advantages of long vs short lease time?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Short lease time means that you can change the statically assigned IP configurations faster - DHCP has no "revoke lease" message, so once you change the settings for a client, you must wait until the it renews the lease.

Regarding Viber, WhatsApp etc. - have you ever noticed that the notification about new messages arrives even when both WiFi and mobile data are disabled? The thing is that if all applications would keep IP connections open all the time, the battery life would be much shorter. So the applications disconnect from network unless active, and they only renew the network connection if they get a message via a notification channel in the "voice" part of the network (you can think about it as a special kind of SMS). And many phones do not deliver notifications instantly if the screen is inactive, they only do so once in a few minutes.

m1m1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Hey @sindy,
It make me troubles with calls. Each few mins I get notification "missed call" on booth apps. Android now keep WiFi allways.
Short lease time means that you can change the statically assigned IP configurations faster - DHCP has no "revoke lease" message, so once you change the settings for a client, you must wait until the it renews the lease
Yes, I noticed etc when using option "make static" to add or remove D-ynamic flag in winbox... lease time must expire until I can change it again.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Android now keep WiFi allways.
That doesn't mean that the applications keep their connections active. I have the problems you describe with Skype every now and then, and some of my friends only get Viber messages delivered once I make a brief call to them. It seems to me that Google keeps "improving" the notification interface and the app authors lag behind, but it's just my private view with no real proof.

But you can check whether Mikrotik is related or not by disabling WiFi on the phone for a while and comparing the behaviour.

m1m1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:43 pm

Dear @sindy I have same opinion as you. Every started with update maybe 2-3 months ago. Not relevant but to let you know phone is Galaxy S10 and google removed wifi sleep policy. Now we need to use Bixby routines...

m1m1
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 am

Sorry guys on doubleposting, one question and one more problem...
Is it possible that RouterOS decrease tx and rx power if device is idle, and dont use WiFi for some time? Rightnow Im have this issue with laptop 2 meters from RB and Tx is 65 and Rx 72 and on older firmware ( before 6.47.4 was allways 150 ) ? I seen this on mAP lite.

Is there any power saving mode for WiFi or RouterBoard?