Community discussions

MikroTik App

mikronewb20
just joined
Topic Author

Access to file share

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi,

So I have a program I am running on my home computer, but i need it to access the data base for the program which is on a machine behind a mikrotik router.

Eventually I will setup a vpn, but for now i just need to go into winbox and allow for the traffic between this server and my home computer.

I've added a firewall rule
Chain=Forward
Src Address= (my public IP for home computer)
Dst Address= (server IP behind mikrotik)
Protocol= 6 TCP
Dst Port= 139,445
Action= Accept

Is that everything I should be doing or is there more or have i dont something wrong? - Above isn't how i've typed it into the terminal/cmd, it's just how i'm letting you know i've set it as using winbox under adding the firewall rules

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Access to file share

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:36 pm

I've added a firewall rule
Chain=Forward
Src Address= (my public IP for home computer)
Dst Address= (server IP behind mikrotik)
Protocol= 6 TCP
Dst Port= 139,445
Action= Accept
That's about it if server actually has public IP address. If server actually uses private IP address and mikrotik performs NAT between public internet and LAN, then you should rather configure appropriate DST-NAT rule.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Just to back that up.............

The mikrotik needs one firewall filter rule to allow dstnat type connections in general, and all the individual 'port forwardings' are setup as rules in the firewall nat rules...
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

mikronewb20
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 am

Hi thanks for the response....

Just found a downside on the home side (my side without the mikrotik)... virgin blocks those ports :(

I'll just setup the vpn... was just hoping to do a firewall rule for quick access

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin ... rnet-ports