Community discussions

MikroTik App

exitium
just joined
Topic Author

RouterBoard 450G missing PoE

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi everyone, i have a problem with PoE port on my RouterBoard 450G, all PoE options which should be present are not there.
Device should have PoE on ETH1 port, on which I'm connecting my ISP router.
I am running latest stable FW 6.47.7.
Network on that port is working fine, only the PoE is missing.
[admin@MikroTikMain] > interface ethernet 
switch  blink  cable-test  comment  disable  edit  enable  export  find  monitor  print  reset-counters  reset-mac-address  set  unset
[admin@MikroTikMain] > interface ethernet poe
bad command name poe (line 1 column 20)
RouterBoard also doesn't give any power to my ISP router.

In WinBox i have "Power Cycle" option, but cannot select any interface. Image

Is there any hope to get this PoE port to work correctly?
I was forced to switch ISPs recently and today new router stopped responding to anything, only a hard reboot was able to bring it back to life so I was planning to power it through PoE on RouterBoard
and power cycle it when this happes again (and it will happen again with that cheap ISP router).

These are installed packages
[admin@MikroTikMain] > system package print 
Flags: X - disabled 
 #   NAME                     VERSION                     SCHEDULED              
 0   multicast                6.47.7                                             
 1   ipv6                     6.47.7                                             
 2   tr069-client             6.47.7                                             
 3   lte                      6.47.7                                             
 4   mpls                     6.47.7                                             
 5   openflow                 6.47.7                                             
 6   lcd                      6.47.7                                             
 7   wireless                 6.47.7                                             
 8   ppp                      6.47.7                                             
 9   gps                      6.47.7                                             
10   advanced-tools           6.47.7                                             
11   routing                  6.47.7                                             
12   calea                    6.47.7                                             
13   system                   6.47.7                                             
14   dhcp                     6.47.7                                             
15   security                 6.47.7                                             
16   user-manager             6.47.7                                             
17   hotspot                  6.47.7                                             
18   ntp                      6.47.7                                             
19   ups                      6.47.7

Thank you for your time and help, let me know if I should add any more info (its my first post, be gentle :P )

Cheers

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterBoard 450G missing PoE  [SOLVED]

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Which 450G? The original 450G supports passive PoE in, which means you can power RB itself using proprietary PoE gear via ether1.
The new RB450Gx4 suports different PoE standards on PoE in port (ether1) and supports passive PoE out on port ether5.

So if you have the new RB450Gx4 and ISP router supports passive PoE with same voltage as you supply to RB, then you should be able to power ISP router when connected to ether5 of RB. My guess is that this pig won't fly.

Is it possible to get rid of ISP's router altogether? This largely depends on technology ISP uses for their network (GPON, coax cable, xDSL, ...), but sometimes it is possible.
BR,
Metod

exitium
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RouterBoard 450G missing PoE

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Which 450G? The original 450G supports passive PoE in, which means you can power RB itself using proprietary PoE gear via ether1.
The new RB450Gx4 suports different PoE standards on PoE in port (ether1) and supports passive PoE out on port ether5.
Yeah, it' the older one, I didn't realize it's a PoE IN. Thank you for clarification.

Is it possible to get rid of ISP's router altogether? This largely depends on technology ISP uses for their network (GPON, coax cable, xDSL, ...), but sometimes it is possible.
It's an LTE modem/router from ZTE, to get rid of it I would need to buy other LTE modem, which is not a bad idea, but for now I won't go into it..

Well, you helped me alot, I will look into some other rebooting method od that ISP router.

Cheers