MikroTik App

Pigsfoot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Change LTE setting via SMS

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi,
We have an issue where a remote RB has had a new SIM added but the LTE settings need to have roaming enabled to make it work.

The SIM provider has asked if the RB can support SMS update "using the relevant command" but i cant find anything listed in the FAQ's.

Can anyone let me know if its possible to change the LTE settings via an inbound SMS message and if so what woudl the relevant command be?

Thanks

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Change LTE setting via SMS

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:50 pm

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Documentation:
@SiB, I'm afraid the actual question is whether the LTE modem accepts some kind of service SMSes like mobile phones do, allowing the operator to remotely change settings without a previous preparation at the machine.

@Pigsfoot, if @SiB doesn't know about such possibility, then nobody on the forum does. As you have said the new SIM has been "added", is the device reachable through the other SIM, or have you switched to the added one and that was the last action you could do?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:02 pm

sindy
@SiB, I'm afraid the actual question is whether the LTE modem accepts some kind of service SMSes like mobile phones do, allowing the operator to remotely change settings without a previous preparation at the machine.
Yes, probably I not answer at real question.
When we go to foreign country, use roaming, we change ISP with saving the same phone number etc. we can receive from current ISP the NEW SETTINGS for WAP/MMS/InternetAPN/SyncML.. what is a e.g. WAP OTA I think... probably this is nature of original question.

I not know about any "backdoor via SMS for ISP".
SMS not have a way to modify our device from what i know :)
In many AT Commands books what I read I not see that way in LTE MODULE, probably for phones exist some more detailed information but I am not track that stuff.

We can receive from ISP his APN.
We even with some ISP not must setup outgoing SMSC (Short Message Service Center) to can send SMS.

In topic to change some LTE stuff by SMS we can do it at user-level by way described in documentation and my example. Incomming SMS from proper person can run internal script - this is only way I know about SMS way.

I hope this is better answer.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Pigsfoot
We have an issue where a remote RB has had a new SIM added but the LTE settings need to have roaming enabled to make it work.
What RouterBoard ?
What lte module ?
Do you enable logs with topic=lte ?

Enable roaming is often "must be" when we use with MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) and some person say it's a 'National roaming' and to register in network we must enable it.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:30 pm

OTA (over the air) config and baseband updates are not conducted using sms but rather with specific services like FOTA (firmware over the air) that are tied to a specific hw unit (eg LTE module). Usually this is done at a higher level ie in the controller for example IOS or Android using profile update synchronizes your phone with the network by updating its network access info.

Bottom line, all of this is dependent of the internal CPE Management capabilities and what hardware that are supported by the operator. So no, you probably wont be able to update the LTE setting though a profile update from you operator.

Secondly, it seems you spoke with someone at first line support as they usually don't know this kind of stuff well enough. Next time try to get in touch with second line techninal support or someone working at their NOC (Network Operations Center)