MikroTik App

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

"antenna gain" missing in 6.46.8?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Hello,

anyone knows what happened to antenna-gain in 6.46.8 or how to make it work again? It was working in 6.45.8 and most probably in 6.45.9,
it is not in 6.46.8, the option is missing totally - both in winbox and terminal.

thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: "antenna gain" missing in 6.46.8?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:32 pm

antenna-gain is now a CLI-only parameter.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Antenna-gain is now a CLI-only parameter.

Why?

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 am

antenna-gain is now a CLI-only parameter.
that's unfortunate :-/ How do I display it? detail does not show it, I didn't find it anywhere

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 am

/interface wireless set antenna-gain=x

one more thing
i've been asking multiple times about Spectral scan, i want that features to be implemented on 5 mhz

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:51 am

Seeing current antenna-gain value ?

Use CLI:
/ interface wireless export verbose
/ interface wireless print advanced

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:33 am

i've been asking multiple times about Spectral scan, i want that features to be implemented on 5 mhz
Spectral scan is function of wireless radio chip. Mikrotik uses the cheapest versions of the chip that simply can't do it, no amount of software can fix that.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am

Why?
I assume because 1) most Mikrotik devices have fixed antennas (with corresponding gain) and 2) it is no longer required for "tx power abuse", as tx power can be set manually.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Devices with fixed (built in) antenna should not allow gain changes. Gain is the property of the antenna, so why would you change it? This parameter is only so that you can specify what kind of external antenna you have connected.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Isn't it also the only way to reduce TX Power? By specifying a higher antenna gain? Yes, there are situations where you might want to lower TX Power.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Isn't it also the only way to reduce TX Power? By specifying a higher antenna gain? Yes, there are situations where you might want to lower TX Power.
No, it is not. In advanced mode on your wireless interface you can specify TX Power. No need (anymore) to use the gain setting.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:57 pm

You can adjust Tx-power by selecting "all rates fixed" in Tx Power Mode and afterwards setting a lower Tx power.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:06 pm

"Antenna gain" It is not the only way, but it was the "better" and "easier" way to do it.
"Better" because it correctly calculates the max TX power for every MCS to comply with the EIRP emission requirements. (Higher MCS'es have broader RF sidelobes and need to transmit at a lower TX power). TX-power setting according to those "card rates" does not work with many devices. "All rates fixed" works but does not moderate for the MCS spectrum differences.
"Easier" because you do not need to do the math with the antenna gain. The current/default value is hidden quite deep even with CLI.

The GUI could at least have shown the antenna gain, and the corresponding max TX power (which is now in the status tab). Or could have added a "TX power DELTA" parameter, or that fuzzy "% power" of other brands ("fuzzy" because this is logarithmic).

And the "DELTA" is not a signed number, so cannot increase the TX power, just as the minimum antenna gain is prohibiting the setting of a higher TX power.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Changing tx-power-mode to all-rates-fixed and altering tx-power does nothing unless we also set frequency-mode to manual-txpower which isn't allowed for the country selected that I'm currently in.
Atleast that's what I get on a hAP ac2.
And changing the country to something else you wouldn't be bounded by the reglementations of that country (max tx power and frequencies allowed), trusting the user to not break that.
So altering antenna gain was/is the only easy and "decent" way to decrease TX Power and still be bounded by reglementations.
Just my thoughts on this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:29 pm

Your regulation forbids increasing power. If you use this setting to lower the power and you are operating within the legal allowed total EIRP, I don't see why a certain mode would not be allowed to use

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Altering "All rates fixed" power level is the wrong way to do this. That's why there was "Card rates" option instead, but that stopped working with 802.11ac hardware.

Why is "All rates fixed" bad? Let me explain:
802.11 uses various modulations, from classic BPSK/QPSK to OFDM with QAM. Increasing modulation complexity requires more linearity in power amplifier. So it's very important to follow hardware specifications on maximum power level for various modulations. If you don't, signal will be distorted and it will actually worsen the SNR, produce unwanted interference outside of channel mask and it will make device non-compliant.
What antenna gain did it emulated the "Card rates" power option, where the antenna gain was subtracted from power levels at each modulation. So if by default you had 20dBm for 802.11b and 16dBm for 802.11n MCSx, it would decrease both proportionally.
But now, if you try to do the same with "All rates fixed" power, you are limited by maximum power level defined by most complex modulation. You can't go above that otherwise signal gets distorted as described above. If you are lowering power by say 10dBm, this may not be an issue as you will be below even most complex modulation level. But if you just want to lower power output by a few dBm, you can't.
Using same example with 20dBm/16dBm power levels, if I wanted to lower it by 2dBm, I can't. If I set fixed power to 18dBm, higher MCS levels will be distorted and device will not be compliant and power levels at different modulations will be affected differently.

What most people really want is to enter simple value that lowers the gain proportionally for all modulations by a specified number. If I want 5dBm weaker signal, I just enter "5" and I get 5dBm less signal over all modulations and modes. Irregardless of regulation domain settings, MIMO chain settings, different radios and products and all the other mess, keeping things simple and always working.
Last edited by r00t on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:22 pm

What most people really want is to enter simple value that lowers the gain proportionally for all modulations by a specified number. If I want 5dBm weaker signal, I just enter "5" and I get 5dBm less signal over all modulations and modes. Irregardless of regulation domain settings, MIMO chain settings, different radios and products and all the other mess, keeping things simple and always working.
THIS! All rates fixed is NOT a good solution.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Yes!

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:10 pm

normis says: You can adjust Tx-power by selecting "all rates fixed" in Tx Power Mode and afterwards setting a lower Tx power.

Would it be possible to bring back Antenna Gain or something similar? I need a simple way to lower power.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:26 pm

+1!

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:59 am

Seeing current antenna-gain value ?

Use CLI:
/ interface wireless export verbose
/ interface wireless print advanced
wow - i have hundreds of various RBs, but this is the first time I see the advanced option, I thought detail was for this.. thanks bpwl, man never stops learning :-)

I use antenna-gain exactly as many people mentioned here and that is why I miss it, some of our APs move frequently and if I see bad wireless conditions / interference etc on the spot, I just lower power by setting antenna-gain, without bothering about different powers, changing country regulations etc - very fast and comfortable, and I remember the default antenna-gain values for most of our routers

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:05 am

+1

bring back the antenna-gain feature within GUI on future releases.. Let MikroTik OS calculate proper TX and regulatory EIRP settings.... Mucking with all-card-rates-fixed is not the answer.

i'm keeping my devices on 6.45.9

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:17 pm

now it gets interesting.. 6.46.8 on cAP (arm) - no antenna gain - the reason this topic was created.

Now I looked at 6.46.8 RB912UAG-2HPnD (mipsbe) and... guess what? Antenna gain is there.

So I tried RB2011 6.46.8 - no antenna gain.

What is the logic in this? It was removed on devices with integrated antennas?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:51 pm

Yes, exactly that. Since it knows the gain of the integrated antenna it uses a hard coded value instead of being set from user input. So if you have any device with integrated antenna, there is no good way to reduce TX power.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:33 am

Reason is probably FCC or other similar regulator spotted "antenna gain" to be adjustable in one of the Mikrotik boxes with internal antennas and went full "YOU CAN'T LET USERS DO THAT!!!" and so Mikrotik removed/hidden it from GUI.

I'm fine with that, as long as there is new feature with same functionality of lowering power evenly.

Hey, Mikrotik, if you are listening, just make something like this:
Under TX power, add new Tx power mode, call it something like "lower power for all rates" or "decrease power evenly" or whatever you want to call it, and let us enter the value there.
As long as it works the same way (ie. adjusts power down evenly for all modulations) I'd be perfectly happy with it.

And NO, "all rates fixed" is definitely NOT what we need or even usable in our cases, as described above.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:18 am

Yes, what r00t says is what is being considered.
Also yes to the other posters above, it was removed from user input, because "antenna gain" is a hard parameter of the antenna itself. Adjusting it makes no sense, if antenna is non removable.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:53 pm

@normis

but that feature works on both types of antenns.
when you saying non removable, you mean Internal antenna vs external antenna, is that correct?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:06 am

but that feature works on both types of antenns.

Radio doesn't know the difference between antennae, only your friendly local RF inspector does.

The problem with unrestricted antenna gain settings is that it is possible to set it lower than actual value and the resulting EIRP is higher than allowed. So hardcoding antenna gain for "permanently attached" antennae is the correct way of doing it, the only problem is the resulting awkwardness of the way to reduce Tx power. Hopefully MT will come up with some great idea how to do it and with even better name for the new setting.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:41 am

So hardcoding antenna gain for "permanently attached" antennae is the correct way of doing it,
Actually the "minimum antenna gain" is hard coded when regulatory domain is used for built-in antenna. So hiding this from the GUI was not really needed to be compliant. with RF certification.
But it is/was very confusing for novice users that setting the antenna gain was not altering the antenna gain, as intuitively expected from the wording, but telling RouterOS to take that amount of antenna gain into account.

Short wording is difficult, but should express something like: "TX Power reduction compensating for antenna gain".
Still the need to give a higher number to further reduce the transmit power can be contra-intuitive, and that minimum should be visible somewhere then.

I hope they find a way out of this. I'm not the only one who holds all his AP functioning devices in the 6.45.x version. They all have specific antenna-gain setting by tuning iterations.

It's becoming an old story. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=154662&#p774279
And I'm still uncertain about the actual transmit power used: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=154662&#p775439 when using other settings.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:20 pm

I would like to repeat the main issue with this. Antenna gain is a fixed physical parameter of an antenna. Like weight. If antenna is fixed and permanently attached, why would you need to edit this value?

The field needs to be edited only if the system doesn't know what antenna you have attached.

If you need to lower transmit power, there are / will be other ways to correctly do it.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:22 pm

We know what it means and what it does, adjusting TX Power by that amount to comply to the regulatory-domain limits for the country set.
Its long definition in the case above would be: "antenna-gain=substract this amount from the maximum EIRP of the country set and use the result for TX Power." or something like that.
We also know that a setting can't make the internal antennas from our hAP ac2s for example, bigger or smaller, and adjusting that value thinking that this would be the result is pointless, BUT:
We also said for what we were actualy using that setting for, except the obvious stated above, it was an easy way to reduce TX Power even more without much headache, and that's what we want to be able to do in the future also without much headache.
We know that it wasn't meant to be used that way, but it served for that purpose very well.
We'll wait for the new implementation of a similar setting with a new name or whatever, to be able to do exactly that.
Thank you for listening to us!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:54 am

The mode all-rates fixed, however misleading its name, never transmits with power higher than cablibrated for compliance. You should be using this mode to reduce the power.

Examples of what happens with different approaches:

calibrated power: mcs0=20dbm mcs7=16dbm
regulatory limit: 19dbm

1) if you will set antenna-gain=1, tx-power=default:
actual tx power mcs0=18dbm (regulatory - antenna-gain), mcs7=16dbm

2) if you will set antenna-gain=0, tx-power=18:
actual tx power mcs0=18dbm, mcs7=16dbm

3) if you will set antenna-gain=5, txpower=default:
actual tx power mcs0=14dbm, mcs7=14dbm

For each modulation, the minimum of 3 values is used as "tx power": 1 - regulatory limit minus antenna gain, 2 - configured tx power in all-rates-fixed mode, 3 - calibrated power for modulation.

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 am

The problem with unrestricted antenna gain settings is that it is possible to set it lower than actual value and the resulting EIRP is higher than allowed. So hardcoding antenna gain for "permanently attached" antennae is the correct way of doing it, the only problem is the resulting awkwardness of the way to reduce Tx power. Hopefully MT will come up with some great idea how to do it and with even better name for the new setting.
not true - too low values threw errors, something like "minimal antenna gain for this country is xx" . So it was checking antenna gain value vs EIRP/country

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm

I would like to repeat the main issue with this. Antenna gain is a fixed physical parameter of an antenna. Like weight. If antenna is fixed and permanently attached, why would you need to edit this value?
MKT,Normis, trying to justify what they did. Removing a parameter called "antenna gain" from the GUI.

"Antenna gain is a fixed physical parameter of an antenna." Yes it is and that is baked into hardware (the physical structure of the antenna).
The parameter called "antenna gain" is a parameter that can be set. It is not physical at all, it is not related to the physical antenna in any way. It does not adjust the working characteristics of the antenna. It is just a variable used in calculating and setting the TX Power of the radio. Unfortunately it bears the same name, ( what leads to a lot of confusion, ) because the value must be equal or larger than the physical antenna gain to be compliant with regulation. That simple compliance test is in place already for a long time. Removing that parameter from the GUI is not helping to enforce this compliance.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Once again, MT showing off their ability to ignore users or understand uses or understand wifi terminology they use.
Why they have not hired bpwl to clean up their wifi mess is inexcusable.
Impeach the bloody lot of them ;-)
Did I say Bpwl make MT Wifi Great Again LOL.

Whatever is decided I want to be able to reduce maximum allowable output in decibels (single digits).
Since we are talking fixed internal antenna units, it should be
A. TX power reduction by rate selections
B. TX power reduction across all rate selections (as stated above).
(in most consumer routers one can select the TX power in decibels up to the max available for that unit)

I really dont care how its done but the wording above is not ambiguous or confusing.
As a user I expect the default to be max power and then I can lower it to suit my needs.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Maybe some people are not able to think they could do something contra-productive, just by refusing to undo it , they think they are right, even if many people ask for it.to be undone.

- That "antenna gain" parameter (not the antenna gain physical characteristic) is a relative power adjustment. The TX Power setting is an absolute power adjustment. An absolute setting cannot just replace a relative setting in many many systems.
- Even the cheap devices from Edimax, TP-link, D-link, Engenius, Draytek, .... let's say all equipment I have ever seen has a possible relative setting.
- Advantage of this parameter is also it is giving at least a (very) little feedback in the 'status' line of the interface.: 5220/20-Ce/ac/P(21dBm) , while the "Current TX Power" is empty. I know that "Current TX Power" used to come from the wireless chip and is not there with the newer chips. But that's no reason to take away ALL information from the operator.

Do we have to do the math ourselves every time ? regulatory domain, set antenna gain (which is hidden from the gui and from the default export or print) , TX power set, calibrated power .

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm

What ^^^ said!!

Yes at the end of the day I want a relative reduction in power from the max setting, in single DB digits as required (by rate or by all).

vuli
just joined

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

hAP Ac3 have removable antennas, but there is missing antenna Gain in 6.47.7.

BENDERRDRIGUEZ
just joined

Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 pm

Default CAP configuration implements 2dbi gain automatically, after configuration reset and standard configuration being implemented after the reset.

Another mikrotik drawback. Before it was easy to cope with all CAPsMAN glitches and bugs, by simply resetting CAPs - at least in my case, since I don't need any kind of advanced set-up for CAPs.
Now I have to deal with antenna-gain=2 set, every time.
That's just awfull.

videolab
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Mental masturbation. I pay you router with my money. Now I can do what I want, they are no longer Mikrotik's problems

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:03 pm

Mental masturbation: if devices are not locked against illegal settings, they can not be legally sold in certain market. While some nations are used to smuggling goods from third countries, other nations (which might represent considerable markets for MT) are used to buying goods from local businesses.

Go figure.

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 pm

using less power than maximum allowed is not illegal. Furthermore, it is a good practice to use only as little power as needed for a stable link.

Besides, I wrote this already a few posts back, routeros does not let you set too low antenna gain and throws an error (minimal antenna gain for this country is xxx). So no, legal issues can be easily achieved by setting min. limit and it has been done already, so why the hell has Mikrotik removed the option from winbox? We don't want to be stuck with 6.45.9 forever, and terminal is slowing things down a lot

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 pm

Normis explained in post #32 above: you can set Tx power lower than default (maximum considering country regulations and hard-coded antenna gain) using parameter tx-power. In webfig it's available in advanced section and you can set value if you select "all-rates-fixed" as "Tx Power Mode". My RB951G shows table "Current Tx Power" right under this setting and it's easy to verify that what @Normis wrote is correct. I'm pretty sure winbox allows you to reduce Tx power the same way.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 am

Yes, you can always drive in 1st gear with your car to reduce the max speed you are driving ....

Relative setting and absolute setting is not the same:
- you have to find the max values for the regulatory domain (CLI) , and the values vary with the frequency or channel
- you have to find somewhere the physical antenna gain (CLI verbose export) because now it is hidden in GUI and export.
- Ron Touw advised to adjust the max power via antenna gain, at MUM, because the allowed TXpower varies over the MCSes used. (*)
- You have to do the math yourselves (computers are for computing, not humans)
- And for most new equipment you are just blind. The TX power indicated in status, is from the antenna gain only, the TX power table is empty!

You can hope everything works as expected because there is no feedback.
And now you work with a fixed TX power, where it should vary with the freq set (freq is dynamic with DFS, unknown with auto), but TX power should also vary dynamically with the very frequent MCS adjustments. (Poor connection, resulting in lower MCS, resulting in more TX power used)

(*) Max TX power in the specs is not what the radio can transmit with a certain MCS, but how well the radio controls the side lobes of the channel, to remain below the legal line of sidelobes in the RF spectrum. Higher MCS rates have a more complex spectrum and do leak more sidelobes than lower MCS rates. Expensive radio's control this well, cheaper chipsets have to reduce the TX power more with higher MCS.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 am

This is not THAT hard. We just want a setting that goes from 100% to (say) 10%. 100% is full power, obeying regulations. Anything less is X% of full power.

There. Easy.

Why they don't do it is beyond me.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 am

(*) Max TX power in the specs is not what the radio can transmit with a certain MCS, but how well the radio controls the side lobes of the channel, to remain below the legal line of sidelobes in the RF spectrum. Higher MCS rates have a more complex spectrum and do leak more sidelobes than lower MCS rates. Expensive radio's control this well, cheaper chipsets have to reduce the TX power more with higher MCS.
Things are not that bad. I guess Ron Touw made his advice based on how devices behaved at that time. I believe in the past when using "all-rates-fixed" chipset really was made to do that. Now it's different, even using this option Tx power is reduced to maximum certified power. For example: RB951G can transmit with power between 23dBm (MCS7) and 30dBm (basic rate). Some country regulation might set maximum at e.g. 25dBm and Tx power will decrease ... but not linearly, it will cap lower rates to 25dBm, while highest rates will still transmit at certified power (23dBm). Which means that even though beacon power is reduced and thus coverage shrinks, area covered with MCS7 will stay the same. And same goes if one sets "all-rates-fixed" with Tx power set at, e.g. 22 dBm. AP will transmit at 22dBm at all rates (and that's completely fine even for MCS7) giving same coverage for all rates.
OK, coverage will not be same for all rates, this very much depends on receiving sensitivity as well and for RB951G sensitivity difference between lowest and highest rate is 18dB.

And that's exactly how changing antenna gain affects Tx power. The only difference is that it gives opportunity to change Tx power relatively. But for those who don't want to (or can't) calculate power, it's still not enough. Vendors who produce devices for masses, allow setting Tx power in % (like 10%). Not many can calculate 10% in dB in a blink of an eye.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Which means that even though beacon power is reduced and thus coverage shrinks, area covered with MCS7 will stay the same.
I know this, or let's say I think it is indeed the implementation with MT. Unfortunately so. By doing it this way (just cap on the max power) the power curve gets flattened. The dynamic of the wifi to keep the connection when there is a glltch in the spectrum is reduced. One loses the connection sooner now. By not reducing the MCS7 the spectrum leakage and adjacent channel interference is not reduced. So you cannot make smaller interference cells, unless you reduce the power very deep, lower than the MCS7 max power setting. This makes MT loose connections even faster. The example of Normis with 18dBm for MCS0 and 16 dBm for MCS7 is not the reality. The difference, or the dynamic range is 6 or 7 dBm between MCS0 and MCS7 even MCS9 with the newer chipsets.

Some here would also remove the lower MCS rates. (Luckily ac does not allow this anymore). And then complain that MT disconnects too often. They have removed all dynamic from the wifi themselves. And it was already poor with MT to start with (no dynamic adjustment of A-MSDU and A-MPDU size based on CCQ), then one fixes the power at a power cap (while maintaining the wide sidelobes in the spectrum for the higher MCS rates), and the best here totally block the MCS algorithm.

Even looking at the working of antenna gain (no spectrum change), mounting a physical antenna with lets say 3 dBi more than the TXpower per MCS the setting was calculated for, and then reducing the TX power only for the lower MCS rates with 3 dBm, will give a spectrum that will not pass CE or FCC certification. ALL TX power has to be reduced with 3 dBm to comply. It's not only the peak power that counts!

PS: "all-rates-fixed" of Ran Touw is probably the setting replacing the "regulatory domain", but that one is actually called "manual tx-power".

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:50 pm

My last post already says what to do. Use "tx-power" to set desired power. Antenna gain setting was for specifying what antenna you use. This was never the right approach anyway.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm

This way you make an AP that is performing way below par, that is interfering more than any other other AP, that looses connection easily, since the chipset with 6-7dBm variation in allowed TX power according MCSrate is in use.

With the old 18-16dBm chipset the difference in handling was within the manufacturing tolerance, and not important. Now it is.

And MT AP's with high antenna gain should be withdrawn from the market , if they reduce the TX-power the way you explain, as they do not comply with RF regulations. Their total TXpower may be within the limits, the RF spectrum line is passed in the sidelobes of the channel, at the higher MCS rates.

Maybe reread this as well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170014&p=852012#p832670
Last edited by bpwl on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 pm

None of that is true.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm

What do you mean "none is true?"
What does antenna gain do with your RF spectrum , other than raising it ?
Klembord-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 pm

If you set tx-power value by hand, it will lower the value where calibrated power is higher, or leave it alone and use the value from calibration.

I already wrote this here:

for each modulation the minimum (lowest) of these 3 values is used as tx power:
1 - regulatory limit minus antenna gain,
2 - configured tx power in all-rates-fixed mode,
3 - calibrated power for modulation

The same was true when using antenna gain setting. Nothing has changed basically.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:03 pm

This way you make an AP that is performing way below par, that is interfering more than any other other AP, that looses connection easily, since the chipset with 6-7dBm variation in allowed TX power according MCSrate is in use.

Even if your assumption that setting antenna gain higher reduces Tx power for all modulations by same margin (in dB) which is not true according to Normis (and I don't see why I should not trust him on this) and forgetting about country limitations for a moment, I guess it's subjective which is better or worse:
  1. with antenna gain set to 5dBi (looking at the table you posted a few posts higher) 2.4 GHz AP is transmitting at 19dBm and MCS9 is transmitting at 12dBM. So the whole cell shrunk by 5 dB and higher modulation is only available really near AP.
  2. with antenna gain left at 0dBi and setting Tx power to 19dBm, most of modulations will be transmitted with 19dBm (lower than default) and only MCS9 will be transmitted at 17dBm.
    Which means "service" coverage of MCS9 will stay exactly the same as is, "service" coverage of MCS0 will shrink as much as with option #1 above.

Basically WiFi clients will loose WiFi coverage at the same point in both cases, only that clients will have good throughput (in Rx direction at least, and I don't think power settings on AP affect Tx power of clients at all) in most of WiFi coverage with option #2 while throughput will start to degrade closer to AP with option #1. IMO option #2 will bring better overall experience since clients in outer part of coverage will still enjoy higher modulations and thus consume less air time. Yes, it might be a minor shock if one user has 50Mbps throughput one moment and drops second moment ... but it will still be at the same elevator shaft as with option #1, only that user will have only 20Mbps throughput prior to drop with option #1.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Well if "antenna gain" works the same way, there indeed is no difference, but there is an OFI here (OFI= opportunity for improvement).

The max TX power in the Atheros list per MCS rate has indeed more to do with the required linearity of the amplifier for higher MCS rate, than the more complex and as such wider slopes in the RF spectrum (as Ron Touw demonstrated @MUM, and sent me in the wrong direction). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPDNG1m ... h&index=11
Nevertheless the TX power is a tradeoff between linear/non-linear power operation of the amplifier, and the noise introduced by the non-linear part. The Atheros power in the list can be seen as the max power, just still good enough for the needed SNR.
Lowering TX power is moving that trade-off point to the more linear working regime of the amplifier. And that is what we want to influence.

So a reduction of the TX power over all MCS rates would be welcome, and is most desired on the higher MCS rates, which is already 7 dB lower than the lower MCS rate.
That is also the way @r00t expected the "card rates" setting to work.
We can only speculate how it works. All those other brands that talk in 100%,90%, 75%,50%,25%,10% TX power setting, how do they implement it? Over all MCS encodings, or is that wishful thinking (again)?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 pm

We can only speculate how it works. All those other brands that talk in 100%,90%, 75%,50%,25%,10% TX power setting, how do they implement it? Over all MCS encodings, or is that wishful thinking (again)?
Indeed we can only guess. Unless somebody with some professional measurement gear can do some measurements.

So a reduction of the TX power over all MCS rates would be welcome, and is most desired on the higher MCS rates, which is already 7 dB lower than the lower MCS rate.

But why would you like to keep range where you offer highest possible speed at only a part of overall wifi cell coverage? I thought everybody was pulling the tricks to kick clients off certain AP while they had good wireless signal (which is needed to sustain good throughputs) in hope clients would roam to adjacent AP with marginally better signal. Reducing Tx power over all MCS rates equally is working against this idea.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm

It all depends ... on your case at hand. Sometimes you want weak clients off ASAP (when you have other AP that will pick it up). Sometimes you just want optimal MCS rate (low noise), but do not want to lose connection (there is no other better AP, or the disconnect is disturbing, and/or is due to the physical handling and covering of the portable device in your hands.)
So I never meant to say that the overall power lowering would be better for all cases. But there are cases where you would like to have it. (Even for a PtP link I would use it)
The bag of tricks to kick off is limited (TX power, access lists with received signal limit, elevated base rate, supported rates is out (and not my choice anyway))

Some brands also offer roaming features that will support that intelligent client reconnection. We can only (ab)use what we have.

It will take some nerve to move the operational point of the amplifier down 3dB on MCS7 for better SNR, but by doing so having to lower it 10 dB for the lower MCS rates. That MCS related TX power difference of 7 dB has become important. The number of ways to set the TX power has been shrinking.(card rates, manual).

Would like to find studies like this on the AR9300 series cards: https://dl.ubnt.com/ubi_mtik_power.pdf

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:16 pm

52 messages and 20 participants later.

Do you feel like "you already wrote this", nobody said you didn't write but everybody said they did didn't understand the reasoning or logic behind your writing.
"nothing has changed basically" then why was it implemented in the first place is the first question by everyone, especially considering the latest "recommendation" has been to use Gain for TX-adjustment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Ws

This is same old Mikrotik considering that users of their proprietary implementation don't need details and documentation to succesfully use the product, in which mainly every single one feature needs to be dissected in the forums before understood properly.

My personal favorite is https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... Properties where the use of % and @ with the gateway property is not explained at all.

If you set tx-power value by hand, it will lower the value where calibrated power is higher, or leave it alone and use the value from calibration.

I already wrote this here:

The same was true when using antenna gain setting. Nothing has changed basically.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:51 am

Well learned something here (like why the TX power is really limited for higher MCS encoding), but as I always want to find an experiment to check theories, also learned that:

- the hAP ac Lite is quite comfortable in use with the TX power setting with "all rates fixed"
----- the decline in max TX power is limited
----- and you have full feedback in the "Current TX power" tab (you know what you get, you can see what it does, and can easily adjust from there)

- in the hAP ac2 and the other modern MT devices I used for deployment I'm totally in the dark
----- the max TX power reduction per MCS is substantial according to the documentation
----- 2.4GHz WLAN always gives 0dBM, and the 5GHz current TX power table is empty
----- the 5GHz has different regulatory limits per freq also, and only playing with "antenna gain" gives feedback via "status". Haven't seen it for "all rates fixed"

I just have the hAP ac Lite as pocket/travel device, because the mAP Lite missed some features. Never had it in any deployment, so never played with TX power and other settings on that model.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm

This is what worries me, in all this thing. Directly from the wiki:

"sets up tx-power mode for wireless card

default - use values stored in the card
all-rates-fixed - use same transmit power for all data rates. Can damage the card if transmit power is set above rated value of the card for used rate.
manual-table - define transmit power for each rate separately. Can damage the card if transmit power is set above rated value of the card for used rate.
card-rates - use transmit power calculated for each rate based on value of tx-power parameter. Legacy mode only compatible with currently discontinued products."

Pay attention to "all-rates-fixed" and "manual-table". How can I know WHAT is the maximum transmit power to a given wireless card? I didn't find a field with "default-value=" of "maximum-value=" anywhere.

Yes, if I want to lower the value, no problem. But one year from now, when the unit is repurposed, how can I set the values back to the default?
Yes, yes. Just change to "default". Very funny. What about when I used in location "A", with less 5dB, and now want to use on location "B", with less 3 dB?

"Just add two, you dolt!"
Yes. Because one year later I will remember lowering 5dB on location "A", and so I know what is the maximum value. Yes, that will work.

How about, since Mikrotik doesn't want to put a % drop down menu to us, just print the default value next to the field? This way we can change it and be sure to not destroy anything. Better yet: show the default value AND do a input sanity check, changing to maximum value anything above it. How about?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:53 pm

Problem is that default value very much depends on exact radio chip model used.

Not a problem with pre-ac hardware which can show exact values used. So when you'd set tx-power mode to "card-rates" and check running values, you'd get all the information you need. With newer chipsets that's not possible (I'm holding my breathe waiting to see how ROSv7 does in this regard) and this might actually be the reason why MT doesn't implement the "N%" tx-power setting.

But, yet again: Normis explained already twice that "all-rates-fixed" is not really absolute, it still takes HW capability and country regulations into account. So the last part of both paragraphs (this and paragraph about manual-table, claiming you can damage the card) is not true any more.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 pm

Problem is that default value very much depends on exact radio chip model used.

Not a problem with pre-ac hardware which can show exact values used. So when you'd set tx-power mode to "card-rates" and check running values, you'd get all the information you need. With newer chipsets that's not possible (I'm holding my breathe waiting to see how ROSv7 does in this regard) and this might actually be the reason why MT doesn't implement the "N%" tx-power setting.
Yes. And can't the router ask the chip? I mean, it's a basic operational necessity, isn't it?

Ok, let's say it's impossible to burn the transmitter. We still have the problem of not knowing what's the highest value. If I can put 100, and the system cuts it to the maximum sane level, I still don't know what it is - since the field would show me 100. Right? Yes, this is a silly example. But more a more sane one would be not knowing if a given unit is operating at 100% power - and not knowing how much I have to lower it. It would be true, since it could say "20" and the system would be capping it at (say) "17". How am I supposed to find it out? Decrease power one by one, and look at the client, to see when power starts dropping? Not exactly sane, is it?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 pm

And can't the router ask the chip?

Obviously it can't. Not easily at least.
I don't think MT devs deliberately threw the functionality out of ROS for ac chipsets (and newer) just for fun. There must be a reason for lack of Tx power information and I guess it has something to do with in-house developed drivers. That's why I'm optimistic about ROS v7 as it seems MT will revert to using chipset vendors' drivers (which in turn might mean deprecation of proprietary protocols such as nstreme and nv2).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 am

Not a problem with pre-ac hardware which can show exact values used.
I think that is the major frustration, not to have that information on ac-type interfaces (not even on n-type interface of the hAp ac2). Having that information would solve it (I know the new chipset is not returning that information for the "current TX power" table, but RouterOS has all the information needed to predict (calculate) the TX power that will be used for any "all rates fixed" setting per MCS rate, and could show that in the current TX power table.

We pour humans have a lot of research to do to find out. Let me give a practical example. I think I have a too strong transmission because CCQ is below 99% and the MCS rate is not steady, and the received signal strength is -35dBm (many potential reasons for non-optimal performance), and lowering that by 2 dBm might improve the CCQ and the highest MCS rate selected for my important client device. It do not want to reduce the TX power by any unneeded amount, as lower TX power could reduce the signal too much for a good SNR value. Just stepping down with 2 dBm to check what happens.

Current is "default". Region is ETSI. Using 5 GHz band. channel freq is varying as DFS channels are used. What would be my "all rates fixed" setting to reduce the MCS9 power with 2 dBm ? I'll have to do the experiment with different MT routers (hAP ac2, wAP ac, hAP ac3, cAp ac). What is the value for "all rates fixed" to be used to know that I effectively stepped down by 2dBm for the highest MCS rate.

Does ac setting "all rates fixed" give total power (where n setting is per chain)? What is the decline for MCS TX power of that chipset? What is the limit for ETSI regulatory domain (20 dBm, 23 dBm, 27 dBm)? Is the 3dBm reduction from the standards for the 2 chains or for not having TPC? So is the answer 17dBm, 16 dBm, or 14 dBm ? Oh forgot the 5.5dBi antenna gain of the hAP ac3? So is it ... (RoS counts with 6dBi) .. 12dBm, or 9 dBm, or 15dBm, or ... pfff, easy to be mistaken.... RoS give me feedback on current TX power please!

PS: "antenna gain" would not have solved this puzzle. However here is one extra bit of information if antenna gain is used: the TX power for the lower MCS rate, as mentioned in the "Status".

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 am

And can't the router ask the chip?

Obviously it can't. Not easily at least.
I don't think MT devs deliberately threw the functionality out of ROS for ac chipsets (and newer) just for fun. There must be a reason for lack of Tx power information and I guess it has something to do with in-house developed drivers. That's why I'm optimistic about ROS v7 as it seems MT will revert to using chipset vendors' drivers (which in turn might mean deprecation of proprietary protocols such as nstreme and nv2).
I see nothing obvious here. If someone from Mikrotik tell me it can't, I'll believe - but I don't think it's obvious. And, (ironically) it is obvious that the router know the power limits: it isn't burning the hardware, is it? Somewhere it have this info - even if it is hardcoded in RoS, by model. I really don't care if this is the case: just tell me what are the operational constrains used by the router. THIS info is available to it.

I really hope they start using the vendor's drivers. Less work for them, and probably better for us too. :D

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 am

Indeed we can only guess. Unless somebody with some professional measurement gear can do some measurements.
Just as an experiment, and out of curiosity, trying a way to check this. (Only for interested people)

Doing this with my current setup: a Drayek in the garage so signal has to pass 2 walls, and again my hAP ac Lite as instrument for measurement. Using the 2.4 GHz band
Klembord-3.jpg
I have this for 100,80,60,30,20,10% setting. Just capping the top power? There is still a decline until it gets very low, as I look at it. So is it a proportional TX power reduction over the MCS rates?
HT20-4 to HT20-7 have regular (recent measured power) use. The lowest speeds were skipped, never used.
100%
Klembord-1b.jpg
80%
Klembord-2b.jpg
60%
Klembord-3b.jpg
30%
Klembord-4b.jpg
20%
Klembord-5b.jpg
10%
Klembord-6b.jpg
Trying to compare this with the hAP ac2, which is in the same room of the hAP ac Lite, but no LOS.
Klembord-7.jpg
And testing the TX-power
Klembord-8.jpg
Well in the ETSI region the power is capped at 20dBm, and that is lower than the power of the chipset. So indeed flat power curve.
What is in this picture is the fact that the MT steps through all the interface rates in the beginning (see measurement time) and then as the Draytek oscillates in the top 4 highest speeds.
This (slow) climbing in interface rate is well known to everyone who ever looked at the BTest ramping up.
O yes I raised the basic rate to 12Mbps.

Of course the test should have been done with the 5 GHz band (regulatory max TX power goes up to 27 dBm, this is higher than the chipset). But I run 802.11ac, and while RoS reports signal strength for "g-till 54Mbps", and "n-HT", none of my MT devices is reporting on "ac-VHT" mode signal strength per MCS value.
Klembord-9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:52 pm

I'm just getting myself into wireless optimization of MT devices. Reading all this tells me is not going to be an easy way.
May you tell me where to find the calibrated power for modulation.
I'm not sure anymore if the figures given in Wireless specifications is the output per chip (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) per chain, before or after Antenna Gain given in the specification?

---------------------
This is same old Mikrotik considering that users of their proprietary implementation don't need details and documentation to succesfully use the product, in which mainly every single one feature needs to be dissected in the forums before understood properly.
My personal favorite is https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... Properties where the use of % and @ with the gateway property is not explained at all.
% and @ even disappeared in the new Firewall Marking - RouterOS - MikroTik Documentation, see old one Manual:Load balancing multiple same subnet links - MikroTik Wiki although interface assignment is more user-friendly now. It may get updated when Manual:IP/Route - MikroTik Wiki gets migrated to https://help.mikrotik.com.
But still, MT documentation is partly challenging to understand :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:10 am

All of this happens automatically. I was just explaining what happens. For most of the world, you will want to run within Regulatory limits. Set country, all other stuff will be automatic.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:43 pm

All of this happens automatically. I was just explaining what happens. For most of the world, you will want to run within Regulatory limits. Set country, all other stuff will be automatic.
would be great if it would be that simple.
IMHO all automatically should ensure that the process of this automation is transparent, which is not 100% ensured. It begins that after reset of a CAP at antenna gain is set to 2 reducing output below regulatory limits, at least that I how read:
managed by CAPsMAN 
channel: 2412/gn (18dBM), SSID:; Guest, local fowarding

Thanks to Is EIRP being correctly adjusted in current ROS? - MikroTik the difference between Tx Power and Total Tx Power and how antenna gain is playing here is clear

Your comment in Post #52 - "antenna gain" missing in 6.46.8? - MikroTik adds another pinch of mystery solver.

But still, I don't know why "interfaces wireless wlan1 Current-Tx-Power" is empty and if
is the power leaving the:
  1. chip
  2. amplifier
  3. chain
  4. antenna
(to list them all)

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Just to confirm ... I'm installing 20 wAP AC's at a client site. Naturally, the power might need to be turned down and different frequencies used. What is the correct way to lower power? I would prefer a wiki document that goes over such scenarios.

Thank you.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 pm

In status (our only remaining point to look at it), It's the power limit for leaving the radio, before the antenna gain, limited by the EIRP requirements. So 18dBm status+2dBi antenna gain = 20dBm (is the max for most regulatory domains). "n" and "ac" use a different reference, one or all antennae, very confusing.

As @Normis clearly explained , that is one of the 3 values (the number 1 in his list) that will ultimately limit the TX power of the radio: viewtopic.php?p=867056#p852022
There is also the all-rates-fixed user set value, and the documented chip-manufacturers calibration values.

We used to see much more in the Power tables, the actual values of each chain and the sum of all chains, but they say they don't get it from the newer chipsets and MT is not filling in that table with a calculated value. It feels comfortable if the device does all the math, but here the outcome is just not made available.

coroslav
just joined

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Well, as I own various Mikrotik AP/routers that do OVERHEAT at default (my country regulatory) antenna gain,
even that much that they fail or keep crashing or at least loose packets on ping,
this removal of simple setting usable to LIMIT TX power, is a very surprising move IMHO.. and unfortunate.

Problems with overheating were clear on RB wAPG-5HacT2HnD, but not limited to only this one.
Using ceiling mount, even most loved HAP AC gets too hot.. And as well HAP ac2 even if it is much less performing.

I just have to use CLI to setup...
Please note that devices with antenna-gain set to custom value, keep setting after update - it is just hidden..

Be carefull, Mikrotik - Your brand is loved because it allows, not because it denies. anything. :-)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 pm

It does not deny anything, it is imposed by various governments if MikroTik wants to sell the device in various countries.

It is nonsense to use antenna gain for change the tx power.

(some idiotic user thinks they can physically change the antenna gain by changing this number,
for example they think that increasing the antenna gain physically improves...)

There is and always has been the tx-power-mode (default / all-rate-fixed / card-rates / manual) and tx-power
and the other relate settings to be able to decide, even modulation by modulation, how much to transmit.
So I don't know what you're complaining about. Probably you never click on "Advanced Mode" on wireless settings?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:22 pm

There is and always has been the tx-power-mode (default / all-rate-fixed / card-rates / manual) and tx-power
and the other relate settings to be able to decide, even modulation by modulation, how much to transmit.
So I don't know what you're complaining about. Probably you never click on "Advanced Mode" on wireless settings?
Call me one of those idiots, who think the computer should do the calculations, not the human operator.

1. "card-rates" and "manual" don't work on recent (5GHz) hardware
2. Only "all-rate-fixed" is left as option (besides the automatic default)
3. Human has to look up .... max tx power of the chipset + antenna gain of device + country limit for that freq (country-info table) + #dbm for multiple antennae ... and do the math just as the device already did. Knowing the answer the operator can now set the "all-rate-fixed". There will be NO FEEDBACK at all as the TX power table is either all zero or empty.

If your math is correct, you have finally set the intended relative reduction in TX power. (What you would have done with confidence and without the lookup and math by adding that value to the "antenna gain reduction factor", abbreviated to "antenna gain" in RouterOS.). If you made a mistake in the lookup or math, you will never know what you did

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:51 pm

If I remember correctly, using antenna gain to limit transmit power was official recommendation. And it isn't exactly true that the remove of this parameter was imposed on Mikrotik.

Yes, we can't exceed transmit power - but it would be easy to limit antenna gain in order to follow the law. In other words: one could use it to lower maximum power, not to increase over the limit. I agree that is weird to use antenna gain to it, but could be done within the law.

About tx-power-mode:
Using one hAP ac lite (952Ui-5ac2nD) as example.
Reference: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... properties

1) By the documentation, both "all-rates-fixed" and "manual-table" can damage the radio, if "transmit power is set above rated value of the card for used rate".
2) Yes, one could say "don't exceed the limits". Excellent advice. Tell me: where do I find those limits, so I can obey them? Honest question - it's my biggest problem with all this.
3) If You would say "just look the initial value, and don't set it higher", this is not a valid answer. It's not reasonable to expect someone to keep documented somewhere the default value for the future. Since there is a default value, why not show it, so we can obey it? Even better: show it and don't let someone to use something higher.

What he wants is something quite reasonable: something like a drop down menu, where You can choose to lower the transmit power (not increase above limit). Something like "choose tx power from 20% to 100%". Up until now no one could give me an simple - and reasonable - answer to that. Even Normis preached the new "use tx-power-mode" - but the problem of undocumented maximum transmit power wasn't answered.

In fact I would thank You for a solution.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:53 pm

Call me one of those idiots, who think the computer should do the calculations, not the human operator.
As always, bpwl is right. It is exactly what I'm saying.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:22 pm

@bpwl & @Paternot

Please let me explain my point of view. It's mine, is not a rule.

The spectrum is full of idiots who simply turn on the radio without even knowing if they are bothering others,
it's okay to have the computer do the calculations, but the person who turns on the radio doesn't even know how it works...
Then if it disturbs the neighbor, even transmitting in full compliance with the regulations, who explains it to him?

reasonable answer is what say @Paternot: add a damn dropdown list for power reduction factor.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:28 am

Amen to that.

sealouiw

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:35 am

@normis, why are you not implementing a proper way to reduce the power output by x dB and why are you not updating the wiki to at least give a hint on how the user is supposed to reduce the power output? The way you handle this topic makes me not want to buy a MikroTik AP ever gain.

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:39 am

reasonable answer is what say @Paternot: add a damn dropdown list for power reduction factor.

... and that is exactly what this thread was about :-) Whether it is called Antenna gain, Antenna gain reduction, Power reduction.. doesn't matter.
Neither do the values - whether it is dbm, 0-100%, 1/10-10/10... just count the regulatory limit as max and some resonable lowest value as min, as simple as that. Every home tplink crap for $20 has at least low-mid-high antenna power options.

The spectrum is full of idiots who simply turn on the radio without even knowing if they are bothering others,
it's okay to have the computer do the calculations, but the person who turns on the radio doesn't even know how it works...
Then if it disturbs the neighbor, even transmitting in full compliance with the regulations, who explains it to him?

I kind of share your point of view that people should know what they are doing, but anybody can go and buy Mikrotik or any other device, thats just the way it is.
So you want to fight people using too much power by - removing them the easy option to reduce power?

Everyone except Mikrotik gets the point and wants this function back, Mikrotik keeps arguing with obeying national RF power limits (well, you did too ;-) ), while everybody in this thread wants it to DECREASE the power, not increase - which btw is not possible anyway, ROS did not let you set antenna-gain that would exceed the regulatory limits

Jimmy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:13 am

I rely don’t understand this post.
Event we have V7 now. If you go in and set it to regulatory-domain and put in your country let say i am on a RB4011 then i cant set it cuss it say i need to set gain to 3?

This is a standart setup there is not Working.

I NO if i go Quick set it Will auto set it on regulatory-domain and the gain to 3.

Why Can you not just put it on regulatory-domain and country wen you not using Quick setup?

Do i miss somthing?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:00 pm

That minimum antenna gain is not about country regulations, it's about actual hardware. Many wifi models with internal antennae have different antenna gains, the models which require attaching external antennae are yet another "problem".

Yes, this is becoming bigger and bigger problem, solution is not exactly trivial and seems MT devs didn't come out with elegant solution .... yet.

cutty
just joined

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:01 am

I would just like to mention something which I don't think anybody above already has.

I use the antenna gain setting in dual band routers (cAP ac, wAP ac, etc) to lower only the 2.4GHz power (set it to 5 or higher) so that most devices will choose 5GHz.

So, I agree with everybody that has mentioned using antenna gain as a simple way to "trick" the radio into lowering the power by thinking it has an antenna with a larger gain.

I know the radio doesn't think, but that was my analogy.

cutty
just joined

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:02 am

For anyone that might be interested, I had some time to mess with antenna gain settings (via CLI) while configuring a dual band wAP ac v6.49.6 for a customer today.

As I mentioned in my previous post, on dual band Mikrotik routers, I have always used the antenna gain setting in winbox to increase the value on the 2.4Ghz radio as an easy way to lower the TX power so that dual band wifi clients prefer the 5Ghz radio. It's a PITA that the gain setting was removed from the GUI.

By increasing the gain value to suit a higher gain antenna (but without actually connecting one), the radio supposedly lowers TX power to suit - very simple and easy. If I'm completely wrong about this, somebody please enlighten me.

This is what I will do from now on:-
- Check what the software antenna gain value would be (in earlier firmware versions) from the hardware info: wlan1=2.4Ghz; wlan2=5Ghz
/interface wireless info hw-info wlan1
/interface wireless info hw-info wlan2
- On the wAP ac, both antenna gain values were 3
- Check what the software settings show
/interface wireless export
- Neither radio showed anything for antenna gain
/interface wireless set wlan1 antenna-gain=6
- Now /interface wireless export show antenna-gain=6 for the 2.4Ghz radio

While changing these settings, I observed wlan1 status in winbox and the dBm value in the channel field changes accordingly.

More complex than it used to be but hopefully it has the same effect.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:18 am

The proper way of doing it in modern times is described in post #32 above by @normis. It is indeed hard to find out the exact Tx power the first time one does it because tx-power property, as set to default, will not be shown anywhere. Plus one has to take into account also country regulation limits and HW capability to figure out what the actual Tx power value is (or one can simply follow the try-and-fail procedure while observing signal strength on suitably configured wireless client, running /interface wireless monitor [ find default-name=wlan1 ] helps somehow).
However, when one sets it to some lower-than-default value (and sets tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed), these settings will be seen in configuration printouts and exports and it's easier to adjust it.