Community discussions

MikroTik App

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox2 and Winbox3 Differences pertinent to Windows10

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:03 pm

I use Winbox daily and I have this issue where I cannot use my Windows10 laptop with Winbox version2 as the one cannot accept the Reboot Ok button.

The main issue is that if I am working in a Winbox3 session and I loose connectivity then Winbox3 no longer displays the settings I had in the Winbox windows and tries to reconnect. The older Winbox2 leaves all the windows tabs open you had already open so you can see what signal levels you had for example, or you can copy the info to a possible replacement Mikrotik you are setting up.
I asked Mikrotik support if they could add this old feature back into Winbox3 but they have refused up till now.

Conclusion is that I continue to use the older version Winbox2, but now that Windows7 no longer installs on some newer laptops one is forced to use Windows10.
Winbox2 costs me less time when doing maintenance and fault finding, so only use Winbox3 for RoMon.

Do other daily users of Winbox share this experience?

Referendum:
Who uses still then Winbox2?

Netherlands WISP
Friesedraad

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Winbox2 and Winbox3 Differences pertinent to Windows10

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:29 pm

No idea what your talking about but anybody using old winbox must have a hole in their head because depending how far back you go, its just not up to snuff anymore security wise.

tippenring

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:10 am

Perhaps you are looking to save the admin session? When you get the Winbox windows set the way you want, click on Session, then Save or Save As. I have my session preferences assigned to all of my address book entries.

Turn off auto-save on close so it doesn't change your session settings each time you close Winbox.

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:09 pm

To go back and re-login (reconnect) to my saved session and view immediately on opening the windows I had open is not what I am after, but rather that I do not loose the windows tabs that I had open in the first place and can still see in the disconnected session, which is what Winbox2 successfully does, so this means if I loose connectivity then I can still view all settings without having to log in again, why, imagine I made a change mistake without using SafeMode, or that due to a low signal level it is difficult to get back in and there are other situations too.
To word the issue a different way, winbox3 does not leave the last seen logged in info on my computer screen to be read after having done a mikrotik reboot or if IP connectivity is lost.

I understand the security issue of Winbox2 which is another reason indeed to go to Winbox3.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 am

Does WinBox 2 still work with current RouterOS?! That sounds surprising. It doesn't work for me. But it does download 1.2MB of dlls from router (for some strange reason they still exist even in latest 6.48beta58; why, that's beyond me), but something fails and it ends with "Missing RouterOS WinBox plugins".

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Winbox V2 does indeed still work with the latest 6.x OS. The issue "Missing RouterOS WinBox plugins" is a known issue when using a MAC address to connect, repeat a few times and will adventurously get the plugin and or use the IP address instead which works first time.

In any case I have found a way to get Winbox V2 working on Windows10, install a virtualbox from Oracle website virtualbox.org which is free to use, you then install Windows7 on this virtual box and here your Winbox V2

However, I still would love that Mikrotik would bring the old feature back where Winbox open windows would remain displayed on the screen if ones connectivity fails to the routerboard!! Maybe by putting a check option on the first main login screen somewhere.

Netherlands WISP

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:49 pm

However, I still would love that Mikrotik would bring the old feature back where Winbox open windows would remain displayed on the screen if ones connectivity fails to the routerboard!! Maybe by putting a check option on the first main login screen somewhere.
doesn't autosave session accomplish this?
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... vancedmode

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:18 pm

I have Windows 10 and (ignoring that version 2 is more than outdated) on my pc WinBox 2.2.18 work flawlessly on both IP or MAC mode...

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:25 am

Hello rextended,
I would love to know how you got Winbox2 working on Windows10? Maybe you had not tried to do a reboot? as then you will notice that one cannot click the responding Ok button you get with the reboot menu, it does nothing. Also error messages that come up with an Ok button also not clickable.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:07 pm

You could have waited a few more years before asking...
I no longer use WinBox2 2.2.18.
3.39 is better and have all previous problem fixed.

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:44 pm

doesn't autosave session accomplish this?
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... vancedmode
Unfortunitly not

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:53 pm

The old feature (which one can say is not a problem to be fixed but considered as a downgrade?) is not in the new WinBox3.39 which for me is the biggest issue to still need in WinBox2.2.18 , that is where Winbox opened windows would remain displayed on the screen and clickable if ones connectivity fails to the opened routerboard session!! I spend up to 3 hours a day in WinBox as a WISP

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:33 am

I spend up to 3 hours a day in WinBox as a WISP
I spend more hours there than you, always as a WISP, and all the problems you have, I don't have.
I don't miss WinBox 2 at all...

K0NCTANT1N

Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:05 am

The old feature (which one can say is not a problem to be fixed but considered as a downgrade?) is not in the new WinBox3.39 which for me is the biggest issue to still need in WinBox2.2.18 , that is where Winbox opened windows would remain displayed on the screen and clickable if ones connectivity fails to the opened routerboard session!! I spend up to 3 hours a day in WinBox as a WISP
I was surprised by this topic. WinBox 3.39 on Windows 10 perfectly saves all open windows. Tested on different versions of Windows 10. I don’t have Windows 11 at hand.

memelchenkov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:32 am

Maybe it's better to change base OS than WinBox. Windows is a kind of system full of strange bugs. It perfectly works under CrossOver on macOS.