Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Topic Author

Feature request for PoE outputs

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 pm

I've been using PoE port priority to selectively drop ports as volts drop, for example when mains fails and we're on batteries. This is really not that useful because it doesn't do anything to preserve power, just tries to keep 'most important' links up.

I would like to see something more like a voltage cutoff on that port. I want to be able to set thresholds based on this voltage to turn down specific ports.

For example, I have a site that has a Netpower 16P. Port 1 is the main backhaul, port 2 is the secondary, and port 3 links to another site and provide that site's backup path.
If the power at this site goes out, I'll see a voltage drop on my 24v input from 28v to ~24v. I would like to have a trigger that at anything under 26v I turn off PoE on ports 2 and 3. I don't need the redundant connections when my main concern is getting as much life out of the batteries as possible. Yes I can do this with a script, but it's mess and it substantially more difficult to maintain because cross training other staff for scripting is WAY more than just looking at the UI. Also, I have some things like LoRaWAN gateways and cameras at sites that I would rather not run when in 'emergency power' state.

What I would like to see is in each interface, a 'voltage source', 'minimum volts', and 'buffer' value. Ie, measure the 48v input, shut off volts if <44, enable when volts are >44+buffer=2v ie >46v.

dduck313
just joined

Re: Feature request for PoE outputs

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 pm

U can just write script to monitor voltage then cut some poe power when below threshold u want. Then just use scheduler to execute your script every minute.

syadnom
Topic Author

Re: Feature request for PoE outputs

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:44 am

U can just write script to monitor voltage then cut some poe power when below threshold u want. Then just use scheduler to execute your script every minute.
Like I said, I can , but this means a less maintainable system because of more difficulty cross training