Community discussions

MikroTik App

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Winbox - MacOS Big Sur

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:07 pm

I was surprised there is still no cross platform Winbox.
The wine version doesn't work under Big Sur and the Webfig is not supporting all the needed features.
Any plans to release something? Cheers.
Last edited by manuzoli on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k6ccc
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Winbox - Big Sur

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:40 am

Can I assume "Big Sur" is a name for a recent Mac OS? I don't speak Mac.

If that is the case, don't hold your breath. Mikrotik has never supported Mac OS, and appears that they have no interest in doing so.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Warning: I know enough to be dangerous...

Jim

eddieb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:53 am

use crossover ...
you can run winbox.exe 32 or 64 bit with it
even dude-client will work
Running 6.48.1 (stable) on :
CCR1009-8G-1S (2x ipsec/l2tp site-to-site, ipsec/l2tp roadwarrior, dhcpd, dns), CRS125-24G-1S, RB1100, RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (10pc), RB931-2nD, RB951, RB750GL ,RB2011UAS-RM, PWR-LINE-AP, RB750Gr3 running dude

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 am

Wine does work fine on Big Sur, including Winbox.
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 11.06.27.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Wine does work fine on Big Sur, including Winbox.
Mikrotik is claiming this for years, and it has never been true.

- the window handling in wine is broken
- capturing of the mousepointer works sometimes but not always
- window resizing is not possible on m1 hardware
- the file handling is broken (but has become better in recent versions)
- if you dare to update the firmware via file-upload you can reproducibly brick devices to a point where you need to netinstall the device
- whenever you update MacOS you are in danger to brick your Winbox

I work on MacOS on a daily basis and Winbox is the only company I know of, that is not releasing cross plattform software.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:53 pm

I guess you need to check your wine install? A lot of people in MikroTik use Apple Macbook as their primary computer, no such issues are known. I myself use 100% only apple devices.
I have never encountered any of the things you describe, except M1, since I have iMac/Macbook pro devices only
No answer to your question? How to write posts

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I guess you need to check your wine install? A lot of people in MikroTik use Apple Macbook as their primary computer, no such issues are known. I myself use 100% only apple devices.
I have never encountered any of the things you describe, except M1, since I have iMac/Macbook pro devices only
Normis,
Have you ever been able to use NetInstall on a Mac using Wine or Crossover? The latest version of Crossover loads it, but it doesn't seem to work.

-tp
MTCNA - 2011

" The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten "

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm

The current Wine version has problems with M1 devices. That only explains the resizing problems.
The other problems mentioned also appeared on x86 hardware.

I know quite a few people who use Winbox on MacOS as well, all of them get it to work for most usecases but have learned to work around the flaws.
If MikroTik istn't able to provide a future proof cross plattform solution it should at least do the bundling and provide an out of the box solution.
If ppl can brick their devices by using the wrong Wine version, there is clearly something wrong.

There are quite a few threads in the forum asking for a native solution.
I am quite aware that we are not entitled to such a native solution as MikroTik has never claimed it supports MacOS.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Winbox - MacOS Big Sur

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Our CTO finally decided to equip our new office building with devices from another brand.
A decision I don't like, but I can kind of understand as their reasoning was the missing official support for our main OS.
Keep up the good work! I, as person, still like Mikrotik very much, but I just wanted to let you know.

mtaipe
just joined

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Just tried Winbox on a Macbook Pro that uses an M1 CPU and it works like a charm under Crossover. I used their trial and the Winbox installer is on their installation Wizard wich downloads Winbox from the Mikrotik site and installs it. Being Feb 2021, the code CX35 gave a discount and got the license for less than $11. No need to replace your Routerboard devices for just $11. There was no windows resizing problems.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 pm

we didn't replace the existing boards, we just decided to switch to something else for the new building.
it's just not very stable to rely on some third party solution in a productive environment.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm

I finally found a viable solution that is so obvious that I feel foolish to haven't thought about that before.
As the problem seems to affect only M1 macs you can use its weakness as its strength and run the official Mikrotik App for iOS Devices on your Mac.

Just click the following link (only for M1 Macs).
https://apps.apple.com/at/app/mikrotik/ ... 64830?l=en

The interface isn't as convenient as the real Winbox but it is good enough to set the necessary parameters to get Webfig of SSH up and running.
So I can more or less call the issue finally kinda solved!