Community discussions

MikroTik App

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Winbox - MacOS Big Sur

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:07 pm

I was surprised there is still no cross platform Winbox.
The wine version doesn't work under Big Sur and the Webfig is not supporting all the needed features.
Any plans to release something? Cheers.
Last edited by manuzoli on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Winbox - Big Sur

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:40 am

Can I assume "Big Sur" is a name for a recent Mac OS? I don't speak Mac.

If that is the case, don't hold your breath. Mikrotik has never supported Mac OS, and appears that they have no interest in doing so.

eddieb

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:53 am

use crossover ...
you can run winbox.exe 32 or 64 bit with it
even dude-client will work

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 am

Wine does work fine on Big Sur, including Winbox.
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 11.06.27.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Mikrotik is claiming this for years, and it has never been true.

- the window handling in wine is broken
- capturing of the mousepointer works sometimes but not always
- window resizing is not possible on m1 hardware
- the file handling is broken (but has become better in recent versions)
- if you dare to update the firmware via file-upload you can reproducibly brick devices to a point where you need to netinstall the device
- whenever you update MacOS you are in danger to brick your Winbox

I work on MacOS on a daily basis and Winbox is the only company I know of, that is not releasing cross plattform software.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:53 pm

I guess you need to check your wine install? A lot of people in MikroTik use Apple Macbook as their primary computer, no such issues are known. I myself use 100% only apple devices.
I have never encountered any of the things you describe, except M1, since I have iMac/Macbook pro devices only

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I guess you need to check your wine install? A lot of people in MikroTik use Apple Macbook as their primary computer, no such issues are known. I myself use 100% only apple devices.
I have never encountered any of the things you describe, except M1, since I have iMac/Macbook pro devices only
Normis,
Have you ever been able to use NetInstall on a Mac using Wine or Crossover? The latest version of Crossover loads it, but it doesn't seem to work.

-tp

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm

The current Wine version has problems with M1 devices. That only explains the resizing problems.
The other problems mentioned also appeared on x86 hardware.

I know quite a few people who use Winbox on MacOS as well, all of them get it to work for most usecases but have learned to work around the flaws.
If MikroTik istn't able to provide a future proof cross plattform solution it should at least do the bundling and provide an out of the box solution.
If ppl can brick their devices by using the wrong Wine version, there is clearly something wrong.

There are quite a few threads in the forum asking for a native solution.
I am quite aware that we are not entitled to such a native solution as MikroTik has never claimed it supports MacOS.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Winbox - MacOS Big Sur

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Our CTO finally decided to equip our new office building with devices from another brand.
A decision I don't like, but I can kind of understand as their reasoning was the missing official support for our main OS.
Keep up the good work! I, as person, still like Mikrotik very much, but I just wanted to let you know.

mtaipe
just joined

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Just tried Winbox on a Macbook Pro that uses an M1 CPU and it works like a charm under Crossover. I used their trial and the Winbox installer is on their installation Wizard wich downloads Winbox from the Mikrotik site and installs it. Being Feb 2021, the code CX35 gave a discount and got the license for less than $11. No need to replace your Routerboard devices for just $11. There was no windows resizing problems.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 pm

we didn't replace the existing boards, we just decided to switch to something else for the new building.
it's just not very stable to rely on some third party solution in a productive environment.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm

I finally found a viable solution that is so obvious that I feel foolish to haven't thought about that before.
As the problem seems to affect only M1 macs you can use its weakness as its strength and run the official Mikrotik App for iOS Devices on your Mac.

Just click the following link (only for M1 Macs).
https://apps.apple.com/at/app/mikrotik/ ... 64830?l=en

The interface isn't as convenient as the real Winbox but it is good enough to set the necessary parameters to get Webfig of SSH up and running.
So I can more or less call the issue finally kinda solved!

jjvillar
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:12 am

Hola!

Yo tengo una MacBook Pro nueva y realmente necesito ayuda para hacer andar el Winbox aquì. Es increíble que no desarrollen una versión para otras plataformas.

Alguien podrá compartir un paso a paso para tener el Winbox funcionando?

Gracias!

----

I have a new MacBook Pro and I really need help getting the Winbox running here. It is incredible that they do not develop a version for other platforms.

Can someone share a how to have Winbox installed in Mac?

Thanks!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 am

1) Install wine64
2) run winbox like so:
Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 11.15.39.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjvillar
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm

1) Install wine64
2) run winbox like so:

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 11.15.39.jpg
Gracias Normis pero, siendo sincero, parece una broma.

Instalé wine64 y ejecuté Winbox de esa manera y NO anda...

Los menú no funcionan, no puedo abrir ni "File" ni "Tools" por lo que tampoco puedo importar mis archivos con los routers. No puedo agrandar la pantalla por lo que solo veo esto:
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-23 a la(s) 09.25.36.png
Si me conecto a un router, solo puedo ver esto:
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-23 a la(s) 09.27.05.png
Sinceramente Normis, a esto te refieres cuando dices "Winbox funciona en mac"?

Instalé wine64 siguiendo las instrucciones (bastante simples por cierto) de la web oficial. Instalé tanto la version staging como la devel.

Saludos

------------

Thanks Normis but, to be honest, it seems like a joke.

I installed wine64 and opened Winbox like that and it DOESN'T work ...

The menus don't work, I can't open either "File" or "Tools" so I can't import my files with the routers either. I can't enlarge the screen so I only see this:
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-23 a la(s) 09.25.36.png
If I connect to a router, I can only see this:
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-23 a la(s) 09.27.05.png
Honestly Normis, is this what you mean when you say "Winbox works on mac"?

I installed wine64 following the instructions (quite simple by the way) from the official website. I installed both the staging and devel versions.

Thanks!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:25 pm

It works perfectly fine on my macOS. This is likely an issue with Wine or your mac, so it's not really a MikroTik question anymore.

jjvillar
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pm

It works perfectly fine on my macOS. This is likely an issue with Wine or your mac, so it's not really a MikroTik question anymore.
Normis ... That's why I request someone to clearly explain how to make it work.

If I have to become a developer to install a wine and make Winbox work, we are in trouble.

My notebook is new, it has a clean install of OSX Big Sur.

I summarize: I have a Mac and Winbox does not work for me, I cannot manage my routers so it is evident that Mikrotik has to do something with Winbox and if not clarify it: mikrotik is not interested in clients with OSX.

One more question: What wine version you have?

exit174
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 pm

There is some information in the official MikroTik documentation. I have not tried it yet, but I also need it to work on MacOS Catalina.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... boxonmacOS

felodimul
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm

(1) Winbox running under CrossOver for Mac works perfectly, even on Apple Silicon Macs. (CrossOver costs money but is a much nicer experience than plain wine. It has Winbox listed as a well-supported program, it downloads it automatically, etc.)

(2) On Intel Macs, I've never had a problem using Winbox with wine. I have always installed wine using homebrew. Is it perfect? No, it's a Windows program running on a Mac! But everything works, including downloading and uploading files, arbitrary resizing, copy and paste, etc.

(3) Obviously ssh works perfectly. I hope Mikrotik continues to improve the command-line interface, like nicer printing options for DHCP Leases and other long lists, harmonizing stuff (like using either "disabled=yes" or "enabled=no" instead of a combination of both here and there), etc.

(4) The Mikrotik iOS app works fine (on iOS devices and Apple Silicon Macs). Is it a great app yet? No, but it's been moving in the right direction. If I were Mikrotik, I would focus development here. Make it into a proper Mac app, improve the experience on iOS, and make it great!

jjvillar
just joined

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:31 pm

(1) Winbox running under CrossOver for Mac works perfectly, even on Apple Silicon Macs. (CrossOver costs money but is a much nicer experience than plain wine. It has Winbox listed as a well-supported program, it downloads it automatically, etc.)

(2) On Intel Macs, I've never had a problem using Winbox with wine. I have always installed wine using homebrew. Is it perfect? No, it's a Windows program running on a Mac! But everything works, including downloading and uploading files, arbitrary resizing, copy and paste, etc.

(3) Obviously ssh works perfectly. I hope Mikrotik continues to improve the command-line interface, like nicer printing options for DHCP Leases and other long lists, harmonizing stuff (like using either "disabled=yes" or "enabled=no" instead of a combination of both here and there), etc.

(4) The Mikrotik iOS app works fine (on iOS devices and Apple Silicon Macs). Is it a great app yet? No, but it's been moving in the right direction. If I were Mikrotik, I would focus development here. Make it into a proper Mac app, improve the experience on iOS, and make it great!
(4) Exactly. but normil said "Wine does work fine on Big Sur, including Winbox" and is false. If they think this, its a problem... They are in a parallel reality

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 am

No, it does work with full functionality for most people here (see above). My statement is not false.
If it does not work on your system, it is a Wine install issue, not a Winbox issue.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm

I'm running this on Big Sur without problems:
https://github.com/nrlquaker/winbox-mac

Despite the installation instructions, it runs perfectly and self-contained without need for HomeBrew.
Just Download the ZIP using the green "Code" button. Unzip it and double click the contained Winbox-mac(.app)
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 18.18.58.png

maisuda
just joined

Thu May 06, 2021 10:18 am

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 11.06.27.png
Hello,
you are very lucky. I'm with Pro 13.3 M1 Big Sur and at the moment is impossible to install Wine. MacOs can't verify the Wine's developer. The unique mode is using Crossover.

sojib777
just joined

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 am

I am using an Apple Macbook Pro M1 (macOS Big Sur) but the winbox isn't working on this macbook. Please help...

skug
just joined

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:24 am

I have winbox running just fine on my M1 through homebrew.
brew install --cask nrlquaker-winbox

If you don't want to install homebrew then you can also get it from
https://github.com/nrlquaker/winbox-mac/releases
unzip and run the contained Winbox-mac.app

Kiste
just joined

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:09 pm

You suggest in your youtube video comments that there is a Wine 6.2 Version of wine which works with the M1 chip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhT2QGxgp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMj80ZIVBQs

But i cannot find this version for mac.
https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

Were do you get it? Your documentation only point's at the 5.7 Version
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... boxonmacOS

BR Michele Evermann

Kiste
just joined

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:51 pm

I have winbox running just fine on my M1 through homebrew.

If you don't want to install homebrew then you can also get it from
https://github.com/nrlquaker/winbox-mac/releases
unzip and run the contained Winbox-mac.app

Complete Install Instructions

0.) Install Homebrew (brew) [- look at install instructions they wan't you to update $PATH VARs -> do it .. eval ...]
https://brew.sh/index_de

1.) Install Wine (Works for M1) [Remove older wine versions .. clean your $PATH from older wine versions]
brew install --cask wine-stable

2.) Update $Path
And you need to add wine stable to your $PATH.
nano ~/.zprofile
export PATH="/Applications/Wine Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin:$PATH"

3.) Install Winbox

If you have an broken or old wine version installed then this app won't work.

But thanks for the suggestion - i finally got inbox running ...

BR Michele Evermann

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:25 am

Everything is much easier now.
Just install Wine 7.x and it will open up Winbox64 bit version on all macOS systems, including the M1 arch:

https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_builds/releases