Community discussions

MikroTik App

petersonz
just joined
Topic Author

Could'nt remove file action failed

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:03 pm

I cannot seem to delete entire files and folders after disabling dude and rebooting.

I tried in Winbox, the command line, and sftp and they all produce the same error.

I tried and succeeded in renaming the directory to "old" and rebooted again.

Individual files way down the tree still cannot be deleted.

[admin@mtik] /file> remove 75
action failed (6) (SAME error as Winbox)
[admin@mtik] /file>

Tried to upgrade to 6.48 and still cannot delete any files or folders.

# jan/03/2021 07:02:56 by RouterOS 6.48
# software id = xxxxx-xxxxx
#
# model = CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+
# serial number = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can the configuration be reset AND the internal storage formatted clean?

BenAL
just joined

Re: Could'nt remove file action failed

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Similar problems here on an RB1100 Dude Edition. No fix yet.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 pm

The file are on SD card, USB, SDD, or internal nand/flash?

stromo
just joined

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 pm

same problem here. installed & started dude, which created a pile of files in memory/NAND. set dude to write to my USB, but now i cannot delete any of the original (trash) files.
[admin@MikroTik] /file> remove [find name="dude"]
action failed (6)

lpvl
just joined

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:08 pm

This seems to be still an issue. Using 6.48.3.

Internal memory is full (some large files were uploaded on the router), and cannot remove anything from it now. I understand that the router would not let you create a new file, but why can't delete anything ? Is there a way to remove the extra files without resetting/netinstalling ?

Seems like noone @mikrotik has commented on this issue or offered a non-destructive solution if any.

sleerf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:28 pm

Did anyone figure this out? Having the same problem. Showing about 400k available so not completely full but can't even delete a 130 byte file via command line or through Winbox. I'm stuck it seems unless I take the router offline and restore an older backup then try to remember all the changes I've made since.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:41 pm

Depending on amount of configuration done, backup of configuration can be as small as 35kB. But can be a few hundred kB as well. If you can't create configuration backup, you can run /export show-sensitive (the show-sensitive parameter is needed on ROS v7, it's default in v6) and copy-paste output from terminal window into a text file. Export misses a few times (SSL keys, both private and public, users and passwords, ...) but IMO it's still better than nothing.

When you decide to go forward and remediate the problem, perform netinstall the device. This is the only sure way to remove any unaccounted stuff lingering on the flash disk (because it formats flash disk). You can try to keep the configuration and see if things get better. If they don't, repeat the procedure but this time don't keep any configuration. Use winbox (MAC connectivity) to log in again, then re-do the important parts of configuration while keeping as much of default as possible (specially firewall rules, they make a very good baseline) and use the exported configration as reminder what needs to be looked at.

sleerf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:00 am

Depending on amount of configuration done, backup of configuration can be as small as 35kB. But can be a few hundred kB as well. If you can't create configuration backup, you can run /export show-sensitive (the show-sensitive parameter is needed on ROS v7, it's default in v6) and copy-paste output from terminal window into a text file. Export misses a few times (SSL keys, both private and public, users and passwords, ...) but IMO it's still better than nothing.

When you decide to go forward and remediate the problem, perform netinstall the device. This is the only sure way to remove any unaccounted stuff lingering on the flash disk (because it formats flash disk). You can try to keep the configuration and see if things get better. If they don't, repeat the procedure but this time don't keep any configuration. Use winbox (MAC connectivity) to log in again, then re-do the important parts of configuration while keeping as much of default as possible (specially firewall rules, they make a very good baseline) and use the exported configration as reminder what needs to be looked at.
Is this seriously the only answer? Files can't simply be deleted? Are they locked or anything like that which can be fixed with an unlock command? Can it be done through a custom script? Looking at the threads on this am I to believe that this has gone on for several years through multiple versions and has never been addressed?

beeonline
just joined

Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi! I am having same issue on ccr1009. Any fix?

pop009zhou
just joined

Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:45 am

same here with my x86 machine
I set a script to backup my router config and send them to my email everyday
everything was fine until 2023/11/02
logs says action failed .
so I try to delete some backuop files via winbox .comes result is [Could'nt remove file action failed]
AND I can't upload a single file .
since its my primary router So I MUST do everything careful
now ,what can I do except reset config
snipaste_20231112_094408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rgraham
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:57 pm

I have a hex s running 7.14.1 with the same issue reported by a number of people.
Mikrotik doesn't seem to be concerned about the inability to manage an external flash drive or sdcard. This has been an issue with me for a long time.
The filesystem works for awhile and then it becomes inaccessible. I can't format the flash, can't delete files, basically it's screwed.
I used an sdcard in the side slot and it has the same issue there.
I had to remove the flash drive and reformat it on a PC to get it to work again. Then it stops working after awhile. Seems like something is corrupting it.