MikroTik App

betatik
just joined
Topic Author

Suggestion Firewall new features

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 am

Hi everyone and happy new years!!!

i have a suggestion i want share with you and Mikrotik Dev,
i like working many times with firewall rules for testing and optimisation!
and i will be very glad if Mikrotik Dev. can add a second firewall filter rules tab.
and add a checkbox to make possible to switch between configuration firewall filter rules tab1 to firewall filter rules tab2,
without deleting anything.

im still learning english and i hope you can understand my point.
Thank you and stay safe.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Suggestion Firewall new features

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:49 pm

An instant solution is to use a unique string, e.g. A1wQz!, as part of the comment of every rule in group 1, and another unique string, e.g. B2tFe-, as part of the comment of every rule in group 2. Once you do that,
/ip firewall filter enable [find comment~"A1wQz!"] ; /ip firewall filter disable [find comment~"B2tFe-"]
will switch over from group 1 rules to group 2 rules, and
/ip firewall filter enable [find comment~"B2tFe-"] ; /ip firewall filter disable [find comment~"A1wQz!"]
will switch back.

Or, if you don't mind losing some CPU cycles on every single packet, you can use two action=jump rules as the very first ones in each chain (input, forward, maybe output) matching on src-address-list or dst-address-list:

/ip firewall address-list
add list=use-group-2 address=0.0.0.0/0 disabled=yes

/ip firewall filter add
chain=forward action=jump jump-target=forward-group-1 dst-address-list=!use-group-2
chain=forward action=jump jump-target=forward-group-2 dst-address-list=use-group-2
chain=forward action=drop

chain=forward-group-1 action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked

chain=forward-group-2 action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked

While the address-list item is disabled, rules in group 1 are used, while it is enabled, rules in group 2 are used. Always activate safe mode before switching between groups in chain input, so that you don't need to reset the device to defaults if you lock yourself out.

Once you find out for yourself that the few first rules in the default firewall configuration cannot be optimized any more, you can move the choice between the two groups past them, so you won't spend the extra CPU on each packet but only on the initial one of each new connection.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

betatik
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Suggestion Firewall new features

Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Thank You for your answer, its interesting, i will give a try

Thank you