Community discussions

MikroTik App

rwebb616
Topic Author

RB3011UiAS-RM severely bad upload speed on charter cable

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Here is our setup -
Charter Cable ---> RB3011UiAS-RM --> Internal network

We have a static public IP address that when configured on that IP our upload speed is drastically reduced. We have 11MBps upload speed but are only getting around 1.5Mbit and most of the time a lot less to the point where remote connections are being dropped.

The cable modem is also configured to hand out a private DHCP address if your device asks for one. If I hook up my computer to the router and let it obtain DHCP I get the full bandwidth both directions. If I reconfigure my public facing router port for DHCP and remove the static IP address settings I also get full bandwidth (which is how they are currently operating because the other is unusable)

If I configure the static IP address settings on my laptop and test without the Mikrotik I get full bandwidth as well. If I leave the MT configured for DHCP and have the static settings on my laptop and do the test I get the reduced bandwidth.

It seems that the issue is occurring if the MT is plugged into the modem whether the router has static settings or the laptop has static settings (while the router is DHCP).

This is a very strange issue and Charter is saying it's our router causing the issue because if they test without the router in place we're getting our advertised bandwidth.

The speed test I'm using is just the speedtest.net website. I know that isn't the best way to get consistent testing but it's consistent enough to illuminate the issue here. I just don't know why it's happening.

Any help would be appreciated...
Rich

rwebb616
Topic Author

Re: RB3011UiAS-RM severely bad upload speed on charter cable

Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:50 pm

Anyone?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I've got lost when you've stated the following:
If I leave the MT configured for DHCP and have the static settings on my laptop and do the test I get the reduced bandwidth.
I don't get how this can work at all - do "the static settings" mean the static public address you've got assigned by the ISP? If so, what's the rest of the configuration, and how does a packet coming from the internet to that address even make it to the WAN of the Mikrotik, given that the Mikrotik doesn't respond to an ARP request for that address?

I was hoping that someone who at least has a clue what Charter Cable means will react, but as no one seems to, let's start from the export of the configuration of the 3011 in the state when it is configured the actually intended way (which I understand to be the static public IP on the WAN of the 3011). See my automatic signature below regarding proper anonymisation - in this strange case, it is really important that the relationship between the static public IP and the gateway configuration is not broken by the anonymisation, so use only the first two bytes of the public IP when doing the find&replace.

In any case it is not normal that a 3011 would give such a poor routing performance.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 pm

My appologies I know it is wordy - hard to explain the situation... what I meant by that was this:

Charter Cable is my provider (Charter Spectrum - spectrum business) they are a provider here in the state of Michigan where this business is.

The MT is configured with DHCP-Client on the WAN port (in this case port 10 which used to be configured for the Static IP information) and so the internal network behind the MT is going out through IP Masq (NAT) on the dynamic IP. (this ends up being double nat because the IP address pulled from the modem is also a private IP address - 192.168.44.x I believe it was)

While this is going on I configured my laptop for the static IP address information and plugged into a second port on the modem outside the Mikrotik and did the speed test. Now here is where it is weird. If the MT is plugged into the modem (configured for dynamic IP as described above) my speed test on my laptop while configured for the static IP address the upload speed is really slow. If I unplug the MT from the modem and do the speed test everything is fine. I did this test thinking perhaps it's something behind the MT that is consuming bandwidth, however a dynamic client behind the MT doing a speed test gets the full speed.

It is a really weird situation and I'm kind of lost at the moment.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:31 pm

While this is going on I configured my laptop for the static IP address information and plugged into a second port on the modem outside the Mikrotik and did the speed test.
OK, so this was the part I did not get properly. In this case, the 3011 was not inserted into the path between the modem and the laptop but was connected alongside to the laptop.

If I unplug the MT from the modem and do the speed test everything is fine. I did this test thinking perhaps it's something behind the MT that is consuming bandwidth, however a dynamic client behind the MT doing a speed test gets the full speed.
Is the laptop configured with a gateway IP or is just the interface set up as the gateway of the default route (if it is a Windows laptop, this question is irrelevant)?

Is the modem in bridge mode or does it work as a router?

Have you tried the reverse test, running the speed test on a dynamic client behind the MT while the laptop with the static public IP was also connected to the modem (not running a speedtest too, just being connected alongside)?

One unpleasant explanation would be that some malware lives in the 3011, clever enough to exhaust the available bandwidth but give priority to LAN traffic to remain unnoticed.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 pm

(if it is a Windows laptop, this question is irrelevant)?
Hmm... how is it irrelevant if it's Windows? Windows has a gateway IP .. Or maybe you're saying it's irrelevant for some other reason not relating to the IP stack but in answer to the question yes, I'm on a Windows laptop and I'm putting all the static IP information on my ethernet port with WiFi disabled. The IP address, subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 since it's only a single IP and the gateway which is the modem.
Is the modem in bridge mode or does it work as a router?
I am guessing that it is a router since on the other ports it's handing out private IP addresses and running NAT on them. I'm not even sure you can do bridge mode with a cable provider can you? At least with these guys they always give you a single IP /30 subnet or /29 if you're getting a larger subnet like our church has.
Have you tried the reverse test, running the speed test on a dynamic client behind the MT while the laptop with the static public IP was also connected to the modem (not running a speedtest too, just being connected alongside)?
I have not tried this... what app could I run on a Windows machine to accomplish this.. I would assume the speedtest would use the built-in speed testing capability of the MT?
One unpleasant explanation would be that some malware lives in the 3011, clever enough to exhaust the available bandwidth but give priority to LAN traffic to remain unnoticed.
I did at one point completely wipe out the router and reconfigure it to test... also upgrading to a new version of the OS. I'm not sure if malware would survive that or not. It would have to be really clever I would think - not to say that it couldn't be easily reinstalled if it was an un-fixed exploit.

Rich

jvanhambelgium

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:20 pm

The logs are clean in terms of interface problems ? No flappings on this port?, did you check the Rx/Tx statistics to spot for issues at the ethernet level ?
Your setup should be really simple, even less challenging than using PPPoE or something. (eg. causing MTU-issues etc)
My RB3011 for sure has no issues uploading 20-30megabit/sec (using PPPoE link)

rwebb616
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:31 pm

The logs are clean in terms of interface problems ? No flappings on this port?, did you check the Rx/Tx statistics to spot for issues at the ethernet level ?
When you say "flappings" what do you mean? Are talking about link transitions? I have not checked the Rx/Tx stats... I'm always confused looking at the stats as to what is what. Not really sure how to best troubleshoot with that information.
Your setup should be really simple, even less challenging than using PPPoE or something.
I would agree - I have the same setup at my church but with a hEX router with no issues - same provider.. just different modem. I have much higher bandwidth at my church as well. I'm currently trying to work with them and see if I can somehow get the same modem thinking maybe there is an incompatibility.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Hmm... how is it irrelevant if it's Windows?
On other operating systems than Windows you can specify just the interface as a gateway even on multipoint interfaces like Ethernet, and the IP stack learns the actual router (gateway device) from the ICMP advertisements sent by routers in the subnet. So it could be that the modem advertises itself as a router, and if it is the only one, everything runs smooth; if the Mikrotik is there as well, it may advertise itself too and cause some confusion. The only problem here is I have never noticed Mikrotik to send those ICMP advertisements. But since it is a Windows machine and you've configured the gateway as an IP address, that cannot be it.

I am guessing that it is a router since on the other ports it's handing out private IP addresses and running NAT on them. I'm not even sure you can do bridge mode with a cable provider can you? At least with these guys they always give you a single IP /30 subnet or /29 if you're getting a larger subnet like our church has.
Forget that - I forgot about the DHCP when thinking what may possibly go wrong with the public subnet.

I have not tried this... what app could I run on a Windows machine to accomplish this.. I would assume the speedtest would use the built-in speed testing capability of the MT?
I'm not sure I get you now. You use some application (or a script on a web page) to do the speedtest on the laptop, and I've supposed you use the same app/web page on some other laptop connected to the 3011 while the 3011 is a DHCP client at its WAN. So I suggest this test merely to see whether the problem are any two devices connected to the modem's LAN or the 3011 in particular (adding the 3011 alongside the laptop ruins the speedtest on the laptop with the public IP, so maybe adding the laptop with public IP ruins the speedtest running on the device behind the 3011 too).

The speedtesting capability of RouterOS is not compatible with the common TCP download/TCP upload speedtests like the ookla (speedtest.net) one, you need two Mikrotiks to test against each other, so it's not relevant for this case.

I did at one point completely wipe out the router and reconfigure it to test... also upgrading to a new version of the OS. I'm not sure if malware would survive that or not. It would have to be really clever I would think - not to say that it couldn't be easily reinstalled if it was an un-fixed exploit.
The only sure thing is a netinstall as it wipes the flash completely. Some malware can survive configuration erasure and possibly even RouterOS upgrade.

If I were on site, I would capture the LAN using Wireshark on the laptop with the public IP with and without the Mikrotik connected, and I'd also mirror the WAN port of the Mikrotik to an unused port on the same switch chip and sniff on it using Wireshark on another laptop while the speedtest would be running on the laptop with the public IP, simultaneously with sniffing on the latter, to see what's going on at both. Either there is additional traffic from the internet exhausting the bandwidth, or some broadcast flood blocking the modem's LAN, or some MAC address conflict causing part of the traffic not to reach the laptop with public IP. I cannot imagine anything else as of now.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:01 am

I'm not sure I get you now. You use some application (or a script on a web page) to do the speedtest on the laptop,
I was using the ookla speedtest.net website. Not sure how I would do that in reverse as you suggest. I do have other Mikrotik routers which I could use as an internal client for a speedtest but then it wouldn't be apples to apples.
If I were on site, I would capture the LAN using Wireshark on the laptop with the public IP with and without the Mikrotik connected, and I'd also mirror the WAN port of the Mikrotik to an unused port on the same switch chip and sniff on it using Wireshark on another laptop while the speedtest would be running on the laptop with the public IP, simultaneously with sniffing on the latter, to see what's going on at both. Either there is additional traffic from the internet exhausting the bandwidth, or some broadcast flood blocking the modem's LAN, or some MAC address conflict causing part of the traffic not to reach the laptop with public IP. I cannot imagine anything else as of now.
I could certainly do the capture as you suggest, I am just not that well versed in what I'm looking at to be able to decipher it.

jvanhambelgium

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:20 am

When you say "flappings" what do you mean? Are talking about link transitions? I have not checked the Rx/Tx stats... I'm always confused looking at the stats as to what is what. Not really sure how to best troubleshoot with that information.
Your setup should be really simple, even less challenging than using PPPoE or something.
I would agree - I have the same setup at my church but with a hEX router with no issues - same provider.. just different modem. I have much higher bandwidth at my church as well. I'm currently trying to work with them and see if I can somehow get the same modem thinking maybe there is an incompatibility.
Go into the web-GUI and go to the affected Interface (tab : interfaces)
There you have a clear listing of various stuff : (in my case, my ISP is connected to ether10)

Rx Broadcast 201403
Rx Pause 0
Rx Multicast 1027971
Rx FCS Error 0
Rx Align Error 0
Rx Too Short 0
Rx Too Long 0
Rx Fragment 0
Rx Overflow 0

Last Link Down Time
Last Link Up Time Nov/01/2020 18:22:15
Link Downs 0
Auto Negotiation done
Rate 1Gbps

Tx Broadcast 2
Tx Pause 0
Tx Multicast 9
Tx Underrun 0
Tx Collision 0
Tx Excessive Collision 0
Tx Multiple Collision 0
Tx Single Collision 0
Tx Excessive Deferred 0
Tx Deferred 0
Tx Late Collision 0

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:29 am

Not sure how I would do that in reverse as you suggest. I do have other Mikrotik routers which I could use as an internal client for a speedtest but then it wouldn't be apples to apples.
Well, it seemed more likely to me you would have another laptop than that you would have another Mikrotik 🙂 To capture simultaneously at the laptop with public IP and at the mirrored WAN of the 3011, you'll need another laptop anyway (unless you have a second network card on your single laptop, an USB3.0 network dongle should be sufficient).

I also don't know what the simultaneous capturing will show. I've suggested some possibilities what could be the cause, so I'd be looking for them at first - too much extra traffic drained by the Mikrotik, or too few packets reaching the laptop and packets with the public IP as destination appearing at the Mikrotik's WAN.

If you get lost, you can always decide to share the sniffed files (there are ways to exchange contact information via this forum privately although private messaging has been disabled again).

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 am

Well, it seemed more likely to me you would have another laptop than that you would have another Mikrotik 🙂
I do have another laptop I could use for the capturing - I do also have an additional USB dongle but it's 100Mbit. Laptop would probably be better..

Maybe I can go onsite tomorrow and see if I can gather the capture results. The problem is that the issue seems intermittent in that if I reconfigure it back to static IP address now it will operate normally for some days and then start having the issue again at some later point.

How do I go about setting up the port mirror to another switch port?

@jvanhambelgium thank you for the information on the stats. I will look closer and see what if anything I can glean from that information.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 pm

If you get lost, you can always decide to share the sniffed files
Do you use Discord? If we connect on Discord I could share the files with you - thank you for the offer! I am going onsite in about 30 minutes to acquire the captures.

Rich

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm

I do also have an additional USB dongle but it's 100Mbit. Laptop would probably be better...
Yes, another laptop is definitely a better choice.

How do I go about setting up the port mirror to another switch port?
Assuming your uplink port is ether10 and you want to mirror it to ether9:
  • make the ether9 free of any configuration - it must not be a member port of any bridge or bond, no /interface vlan rows must refer to it, no IP configuration (address, dhcp client, dhcp server) must refer to it. You don't need to remove such configuration items, it is enough to disable them.
  • then, do the following:
    /interface ethernet switch set switch2 mirror-source=ether10 mirror-target=ether9
As both directions of traffic on ether10 are mirrored to the same destination port (the switch chip is relatively simple), you can't push the full 1 Gbit/s bandwidth through ether10 as ether9 would have to send out 2 Gbit/s which is not possible, but I suppose you don't have a gigabit uplink.

Intermediate issues are the worst ones to find. @jvanhambelgium suggests to check interface statistics on the 3011, but as you say that even connection of the 3011 to the modem affects the performance of the laptop connected directly to the modem, it would be even more useful to check such statistics on the modem. I can e.g. imagine an ill-soldered contact of the modem's Ethernet connector, where vibration makes the connection drop completely or renegotiate to 10 Mbit/s half duplex, and by connecting the 3011, you create a mechanic tension which moves that ill-soldered contact to a position where this happens. But that's just another theory which has to be confirmed or denied by the sniffing.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Do you use Discord?
I use several communication platforms but not discord. However, the key is that I don't want to disclose my contact information to everyone on the forum and you probably also don't want to publish yours. If so, you may use the suggestion in this post to send me your e-mail or phone number encrypted via a post here.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:46 pm

I have acquired the captures and I have an encrypted file with my email address... I have attached that file to this post. Email me on that address once you receive it. Thank you for your help! If you are for some reason unable to decrypt let me know.

The captured data is around 3GB uncompressed. I haven't tried compressing it yet.

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 pm

Sorry, I've found out I don't have the private key to that public one any more :(

One more try, please.

public key code

-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----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-----END PUBLIC KEY-----

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:24 pm

Revised...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Also FYI the resulting captures were about 2.68GB .. I have a file sharing service I can post them on. I hope your internet connection is fairly fast :)
Rich

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:49 pm

Just for the case, you should have a message from me in your inbox.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:51 pm

If you are saying that you emailed me at the encrypted email address I sent you I have not yet received it. hmm....

I'll check mail server logs.

Rich

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:53 pm

I found the log entry... it's saying that the IP address you're coming from is blocked by SORBS blacklist and so is not accepting the email.

Rich

rwebb616
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 pm

I just sent you an email. Let me know if you receive it. Meanwhile I will work to get this particular RBL disabled temporarily from my mail server.

Rich

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Received it, downloading the file.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:52 pm

Just checking whether you've received my e-mail response yesterday, with comments on the file contents.

rwebb616
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:11 pm

Just checking whether you've received my e-mail response yesterday, with comments on the file contents.
Yes, I just responded. I think our times are a bit shifted... I'm in eastern US time.

Rich