Community discussions

MikroTik App

Simon771
just joined
Topic Author

AP Router doesn't bind to mikrotik

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm

I have connected my mikrotik to my modem on port1, connected my PC to port2 and another dlink router (just for wifi) to port3.
Mikrotik IP is 192.168.12.1, PC is 192.168.12.70, and I manually set 192.168.12.22 on dlink. I also disabled DHCP server on dlink.
Then I plugged ethernet cable from mikrotik port3 to dlink port1 (not WAN port), but I still can't see dlink router on my MikroTik under DHCP Server leases. I can see my PC and other devices that are connected on dlink router, but I can't see dlink router itself. I tried to make static reservation for dlink, but it's just stuck at waiting status and never shows up in my leases list.
I disabled firewall and NAT boost on dlink router, restarted it and it's still the same.
I can ping this router on 192.168.12.22 from my PC that is directly connected to mikrotik router, so it does use correct IP and everything, I just can't see it in leases ...
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using TL-WR1043ND v4.

tdw
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: AP Router doesn't bind to mikrotik

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:53 pm

If you have set a manual address on the D-Link it will not appear in DHCP leases, only devices which make and accept DHCP requests will appear there.

As you are connecting to the 'LAN' side of the D-Link router and using it is a wireless access point none of the routing/NAT/firewall functionality on it will be used.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm

This may help on the dlink side of the equation!
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

Simon771
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 pm

If you have set a manual address on the D-Link it will not appear in DHCP leases, only devices which make and accept DHCP requests will appear there.

As you are connecting to the 'LAN' side of the D-Link router and using it is a wireless access point none of the routing/NAT/firewall functionality on it will be used.
Thanks for your reply, that does make sense what you wrote. Sadly my Dlink router doesn't have any option to auto-get IP from mikrotik DHCP server:

Seems like I will just have to live with it :)
This may help on the dlink side of the equation!
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
I was able to set it up and everything works, it's just that I can't see DHCP lease on my mikrotik. Otherwise it works great.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Simon,
When you assign a fixed IP to a device behind the router, it is not assigned by the router and thus it will not likely reflect its presence.
The onus is on you to
a. get the mac address of the wifi router
b. manually add the fixed LANIP address of the wifi router with its mac address into the DHCP lease section of the MT config
c. make this permanent........ I believe its a make static selection in winbox

In this way there will never be a mixup and you will see it always when looking at your config.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!