Community discussions

MikroTik App

theprojectgroup
Topic Author

L2TPG IPSEC not working via IPv6. Dial in via IPv4 works fine

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 pm

Hey Forum,

I have an issue with out cloud core router and IPv6.

We have a few road warriors dialling in via L2TPG/IPSEC VPN. This just works fine if they use our WAN IPv4 address as the target VPN server!

If the VPN client (Windows 10) connects to the routers WAN IPv6 address, it doesn't work and times out.

On Router OS v6.48:
cleanshot.jpeg
IPSEC Policy exists for IPv6:
CleanShot 2021-01-11 at 22.34.07@2x.png
Is L2TP working via IPSEC?

Best regards and thx a lot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L2TPG IPSEC not working via IPv6. Dial in via IPv4 works fine

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:33 am

The log complains about authentication type mismatch and encryption type mismatch, so I'd guess the /ip ipsec row proposal to which the policy template refers does not support any of the authentication and encryption algorithms suggested by the Windows client, but it may be a false alarm.

Open a terminal window in Winbox and follow the hint in my automatic signature right below (by adding file=somefilename to /export hide-sensitive, you'll be able to download the export rather than copy-pasting it from the terminal window).
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.