MikroTik App

tomasi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

[Request] Winbox Default Port

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to add to winbox a way to define the default port to connect to?

Example:

As a security option, I chose to change all my Mikrotik devices to listen to winbox/dude on port 5577

Every time I need to connect to them, I need to write the IP address plus :5577 port on Connect To field of winbox.

If it will be possible to define the default port winbox, I could set it globally and write only the IP address on "Connect To:" field

Best Regards

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [Request] Winbox Default Port

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:10 pm

Confusing post.
I use a non-standard port for winbox but I use winbox to connect.
Thus I never state when connecting what port I am using.
Its mac address and password and of course elsewhere I state what IP address or subnets are allowed to access the router, via services(ip service list), tools (mac server), system(users) firewall rules(input chain) etc........

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:55 am

Without defining the port it will always use the default - but you can save your devices in the managed list with the port specified - you can save without password and add it in when you want to connect.

tomasi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 pm

That's the point

If you type 10.0.0.1, winbox will try to connect to default 8291 port, you don't need to type 10.0.0.1:8291

If you change default port on every Mikrotik in your network, you need to type IP address + new port every time

10.0.0.1:5577

The idea was to set in winbox the default port it will try to connect to. This way I could still use the same old method that is typing only IP address in the "Connect To:" field without saving the host in the Managed list (for security reasons)

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:59 pm

The idea was to set in winbox the default port it will try to connect to. This way I could still use the same old method that is typing only IP address in the "Connect To:" field without saving the host in the Managed list (for security reasons)
Whats insecure about having it in the managed list?

Another option may be some kind of port translation on your router (if static) or on the host (if portable) to redirect 8291 to 5577 by default.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:21 am

If you don't insist on it being an official feature, you can "fix" your WinBox executable. Fire up your favourite hex editor, search for bytes 63200000 and replace them with c9150000. In current version (3.27) it's there only once in both 32 and 64 bit variants, so you can't go wrong.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am

Managed list will be encrypted if you set a master password in winbox.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 pm

...without saving the host in the Managed list (for security reasons)
What's your issue with using the managed list? Only someone who logs onto your PC with your account will see your list, and as Normis pointed out, the file is encrypted if you use the Master password.
Keep in mind that the IP of the router is well known to everyone who can type ipconfig /all (or several other ways of finding the gateway), Finding an open port is fairly easy with a port scanner.

tomasi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:41 pm

If you don't insist on it being an official feature, you can "fix" your WinBox executable. Fire up your favourite hex editor, search for bytes 63200000 and replace them with c9150000. In current version (3.27) it's there only once in both 32 and 64 bit variants, so you can't go wrong.
Great! WinBox patched, now it goes on the new coded port.

Thank you very much for the instructions