Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jerry Richardson
just joined
Topic Author

Dual WAN configuration

Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:44 am

Bear with me, I know nothing about MikroTik. Someone suggested it as a potential solution.

We are a WISP using Motorola Canopy to provide Business Internet Services.

I have two Multiple Tenant sites that each have a bridged 3M x 3M wireless connections to the building. This connection is distributed via Ethernet switches to tenants who each have a static public IP from our IP pool.

Currently this setup is excellent unless there is an issue with our network which is not often, but when it happens it's very bad indeed as these two sites combined have about 150 business users. We need continuity in the event we get interference, equipment failure, etc.

I would like to add a DSL at the site, and use it as a failover.

Can I configure a MikroTik as follows:
WAN1 = transparent bridge only
WAN2 = DSL with NAT for the user IP's
LAN1 = All users in the building.

I would like to have the router ping our gateway on WAN1 and as long as it is up, route through WAN1. If the router loses connectivity then fail over to WAN2 until WAN1 comes back up. Can the MikroTik handle 2Mbps sustained NAT'd traffic?

We'd set up all the users DNS so that the primary DNS is our server with the 2nd or 3rd being OpenDNS.

Is this doable?
What do I need to order?

If this works well, I can see using it to provide a product that ensures near 100% uptime and charge accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Richardson
VP Operations
airCloud Communications

mneumark

Re: Dual WAN configuration

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:00 am

Jerry,

This is completely possible with MikroTik. When it comes to hardware your always better off going with a x86 system, but for your situation all it sounds like you need is a 532 routerboard.

Matt

IntraLink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 am

Jerry, you could go to someplace like wisp-router.com and pick up a routerboard 530 series board with three ethernet and an indoor case and power supply.

That's pretty much all the equipment you need.

You could even get that in a PoE version in an outdoor enclosure if you need to mount it by the SM.

It's been over a year since I programmed one of these to do dual WAN.

You might have to search around a bit on the Wiki for the example or search the history in the forums here.

Someone like Butch Evans could help you out on a contract basis if you need it.

broken

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I would like to add a DSL at the site, and use it as a failover.

I would like to have the router ping our gateway on WAN1 and as long as it is up, route through WAN1. If the router loses connectivity then fail over to WAN2 until WAN1 comes back up. Can the MikroTik handle 2Mbps sustained NAT'd traffic?
Without problem. It can handle much more :)

Jerry Richardson
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks for the info.

Ordered an RB532-4, indoor case, and power supply. Also purchased an hour of consulting/configuration so it will show up and with a little luck plug and play.

I'll let you know how it goes.