Community discussions

MikroTik App

jaromalcek
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik multiple VLAN's

Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi,
I have a network setup as illustrated in attachment. There is router from internet provider that I'm not allowed to manage. I have:
- Mikrotik router (model 960PGS, OS 6.42.5) connected to provider router using the Port 1
- TP-Link (WA901ND) access point connected to Mikrotik Port 2, for wifi connection to internet and other devices in network
- Switch connected to Mikrotik Port 3, connecting other devices (laptop, printer, NAS, TV)

I would like to use 2 wifi access points via my TP-Link. It supports creation of multiple SSID and allowing to assign VLAN's for these SSID's. i need one SSID (e.g. AP1) connecting without any restriction in the network (connecting to internet, or other devices in LAN like printer, NAS, ...). The second SSID (e.g AP2_guest) to connect to internet only.
Please can you advice how to setup Mikrotik to make it working? Is it possible with this hardware?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jaro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik multiple VLAN's

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:56 pm

I am not familiar with that model, but yes very doable in general.
Please read this document as a guide.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=143620

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik multiple VLAN's

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Your RB960PGS is running ancient ROS version. Do yourself a favour and 1) create asciii export of configuration executing /export file=anynameyouwish, 2) transfer resulting file to managemrnt PC, 3) upgeade to latest long-term (currently 6.47.9) 4) reset to factory defaults and 5) re-do whatever very special settings you have now, but keep changes to minimum

After that proceed reading article linked by @anav. Beware that your device will do all packet exchange between LAN ports (eg between default wireless and LAN switch) will be done by CPU. If that becomes bottleneck, you'll have to reconfigure device to use switch chip. But you'll do that after you have VLANs running and you understand it thoroughly.